Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move, possibly as early as this summer. I'm currently living with my parents in Florida and I can go anywhere.

There is nothing here for me, I'm 22 and just need to move on with my life. So I'm one of those people who will pick a destination and move without a job. Right now I have almost 10 grand saved, and would have at least that or a little more, depending on when I go.

I've researched forever on cities across the country, but now am looking to dig a little deeper. I'm working as a produce clerk here, so I'm going to need availability of those type of lower-end jobs. Anything I could get to start out, really.

I also don't know how to drive, so assume I'm only looking for places to live where this is possible without a car. I will be learning, but that may not come until after I move.

The type of city I would want is wide open. I would enjoy living in a big city as much as I would in a smaller, compact city or a college town. Weather is also really important, I don't think I could handle continuing to live where it is hot and humid all the time. I would prefer a really cold climate or something like California or Pacific Northwest weather.

Some smaller cities that have really interested me are Albany, NY and Eugene, OR. Eugene sounds really great. I've looked into some other smaller cities/college towns, but those are the main two I've seem to have had in my head. Feel free to chime in with others.

As for big cities, there are plenty. Minneapolis seems to be ideal. But then there is Cleveland, Seattle, Portland, etc. And some other places I haven't mentioned.

Hoping some responses here will steer me in the right direction. The cities I'm looking at are all very different from each other, so it's just a matter of deciding what I want. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM

343 posts, read 932,902 times
So, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but if you don't know how to drive, how have you been doing normal day-to-day things in Tampa, FL? How do you buy groceries? How do you get to work? How do you go out for a beer? How do you go see friends? If you're walking or biking, more power to you. If someone else is driving you, it's going to be a VERY difficult transition to wherever you move.

Unless you're living in the center of a very large city, doing the normal day to day things will be fairly unusual to someone who's only lived in Tampa. I applaud you for wanting to move out and on with your life, but remember that living without a car means walking in uncomfortable weather, relying on public transportation, or making quick friends with someone who owns a car.

Based on your criteria, any of the large east coast cities will do. You can live without a car, and you can easily find a job in what you call a 'low-end' area. It will, however, be a fairly big change from your south florida location. It will be more run down, more dense, less laid back, and more diverse. Be prepared for a dose of culture shock. But take it from me, culture shock can be just as enjoyable as it is shocking.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
So, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but if you don't know how to drive, how have you been doing normal day-to-day things in Tampa, FL? How do you buy groceries? How do you get to work? How do you go out for a beer? How do you go see friends? If you're walking or biking, more power to you. If someone else is driving you, it's going to be a VERY difficult transition to wherever you move.

Unless you're living in the center of a very large city, doing the normal day to day things will be fairly unusual to someone who's only lived in Tampa. I applaud you for wanting to move out and on with your life, but remember that living without a car means walking in uncomfortable weather, relying on public transportation, or making quick friends with someone who owns a car.

Based on your criteria, any of the large east coast cities will do. You can live without a car, and you can easily find a job in what you call a 'low-end' area. It will, however, be a fairly big change from your south florida location. It will be more run down, more dense, less laid back, and more diverse. Be prepared for a dose of culture shock. But take it from me, culture shock can be just as enjoyable as it is shocking.
Gee, I'm well-informed on all those things! I live in an area of Tampa that allows me to walk everywhere. To work, the bar, movies, etc. Getting a car here is not a good investment, which is why I haven't bothered.

I may have only lived in Tampa, but I'm not un-exposed to all those things you mentioned. Believe me, I'm more than adapted for all of that! It would not be a culture shock in the slightest.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM

93,374 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Maybe you could try these places: https://wegmans.taleo.net/careersect...ch.ftl?lang=en

Welcome To Price Chopper Careers (http://www2.pricechopper.com/careers/index.shtml - broken link)

Tops Friendly Markets - Employment

Chanatry's Hometown Market Supermarket, Utica NY

Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I may have only lived in Tampa, but I'm not un-exposed to all those things you mentioned. Believe me, I'm more than adapted for all of that! It would not be a culture shock in the slightest.
I forgot perhaps the biggest shock of all: climate. If you move somewhere cold, with seasons, snow, and ice, it could be a big ordeal to adapt. Don't get me wrong. Adapting to a wintery climate can be exciting. But walking down to the grocery store when it's 10F isn't the best feeling in the world. Especially when the heat in your apartment costs $120 a month and doesn't even work all that well.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:39 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
I forgot perhaps the biggest shock of all: climate. If you move somewhere cold, with seasons, snow, and ice, it could be a big ordeal to adapt. Don't get me wrong. Adapting to a wintery climate can be exciting. But walking down to the grocery store when it's 10F isn't the best feeling in the world. Especially when the heat in your apartment costs $120 a month and doesn't even work all that well.
Who pays $120/month for heat? Is that common in Philadelphia? In Chicago, in most of the older, smaller apartments heat is included in the rent.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Who pays $120/month for heat? Is that common in Philadelphia? In Chicago, in most of the older, smaller apartments heat is included in the rent.
A row house in Philadelphia can easily run that much. I'll admit that's on the high side, but it was written more for hyperbole than as an actual example.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:55 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
A row house in Philadelphia can easily run that much. I'll admit that's on the high side, but it was written more for hyperbole than as an actual example.
Well sure, I've paid $350/month for heat on occasion, but I've got a not very small SFH. More relevantly, a small studio apt even if you have to cover your own heating bill, will be $50/ month or so during peak winter months. It's comparable or even cheaper than electric for A/C in Florida.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:58 AM

93,374 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Here some other places you may be interested in work in: GreenStar Natural Foods Market

Welcome to ALDI ::

Green Hills Farms

Search Jobs

Byrne Dairy > Careers

Wilson Farms Neighborhood Food Stores - Careers

Old 04-27-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Well sure, I've paid $350/month for heat on occasion, but I've got a not very small SFH. More relevantly, a small studio apt even if you have to cover your own heating bill, will be $50/ month or so during peak winter months. It's comparable or even cheaper than electric for A/C in Florida.
True. In much of the northeast, you pay for both heat in the winter and AC in the summer, since they can get pretty sticky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.