Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 05:20 PM

17 posts, read 22,424 times

Advertisements

So I enjoy going out at night but I’m not into the “clubbing” scene per say - I’m not into the crazy loud music that you can’t even have a conversation, the jumping up and down trampling on your shoes, the people spraying and spilling bottles and drinks everywhere, I’m looking for more the relaxed nightclub scene like lounges where you go and sit on a nice chair having a drink maybe some food, everyones dressed up looking nice, people are calm and you can actually have a conversation with friends, maybe there’s like a piano in the background playing smooth jazz - which cities in the US have the most or best access to these types of “lounges” venues nightlife type of scene? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 07:42 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Likely New York City, specifically Manhattan. DC has a good amount of this too.

A little bit in Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Los Angeles. They are definitely more casually dressed than the ones in NYC though.

I love me a good cocktail bar.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:16 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Likely New York City, specifically Manhattan. DC has a good amount of this too.

A little bit in Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Los Angeles. They are definitely more casually dressed than the ones in NYC though.

I love me a good cocktail bar.
idk if Boston has a lot of this. The nightlife scene (while improving) is meh

But I'd agree with this list. S/o on DC because that city stuck out to me with a good cocktail scene that I just did not expect.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:18 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
besides lounges, a new concept is "clubstaurants"....that being said, in addition to NYC, Chicago, and others Miami/Miami Beach has its share of lounges (some in hotels) that are quite different from full fledged nightclubs, including some that are "open air" and with live music, even entertainers. Also a number of retro, old school cocktail bars. Some offer "memberships" in which people pay anywhere from $2000 - 10,000/year to hang in posh lounges (SoHo House, ZZ Club, etc)

Last edited by elchevere; 10-28-2022 at 09:27 AM..

Old 10-28-2022, 08:52 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

But I'd agree with this list. S/o on DC because that city stuck out to me with a good cocktail scene that I just did not expect.
Yea, I wasn't sure about Boston tbh, but figured it might have a better lounge/cocktail bar scene since the overall nightlife is meh. I haven't spent as many nights there as I have in the other cities I listed.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:09 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yea, I wasn't sure about Boston tbh, but figured it might have a better lounge/cocktail bar scene since the overall nightlife is meh. I haven't spent as many nights there as I have in the other cities I listed.
I'd give it another 3 years at least. I mean, its good.. i guess. But its not on the same level of the other 7-8 cities on its par.

Old 10-28-2022, 11:54 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
You'll find these in abundance here in New York City--Manhattan has tons, while Brooklyn has its fair share too, with more and more cool ones opening.

Also, Los Angeles, DC, San Fran and Chicago will have some of these bars.

Add in Miami, Atlanta, Vegas, Seattle, Dallas and Houston, too--as secondary choices.

Maybe somewhat surprising are Austin and Nashville. There are some very cool cocktail lounges that I visited in each city, over the past couple of years.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:12 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Bro you’re Boston nightlife is tired is getting a little stale. It’s good to see you’re acknowledgig this improving but if anything this is where Boston kind of excels. I think it’s you just don’t know the right people or go to the right spots.and Boston is a city where you absolutely need to know the right people and where to go. But Boston definitely has a lot of lounges and a couple notable jazz lounges I can think off just off the top of my head. Wally’s, Coast Cafe, Daryl’s, District 7, Slades, Scullers, Lucile’s Lounge, Savvor and Jazz Urban Cafe coming online

You were also young when you lived there and you lived in the suburbs. Would you have actually been to one of these places at 21? These are places my parents went…but slades and savvor are popular with people in my age group.

It’s not Ibiza or Nashville or even DC but it’s def not a bad spot for lounges like this. Idk how it compares to all other cities though.

Old 10-28-2022, 03:04 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
Austin has a crap-ton of places like this, though people don't dress up formally anywhere. (You will see stylish casual attire at a lot places). It's also going to be indie rock or trippy hip hop more often than jazz. There is also a different but somewhat related genre of bar that is outdoors with gravel patios, picnic tables, and a few food trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Bro you’re Boston nightlife is tired is getting a little stale. It’s good to see you’re acknowledgig this improving but if anything this is where Boston kind of excels. I think it’s you just don’t know the right people or go to the right spots.and Boston is a city where you absolutely need to know the right people and where to go. But Boston definitely has a lot of lounges and a couple notable jazz lounges I can think off just off the top of my head. Wally’s, Coast Cafe, Daryl’s, District 7, Slades, Scullers, Lucile’s Lounge, Savvor and Jazz Urban Cafe coming online

You were also young when you lived there and you lived in the suburbs. Would you have actually been to one of these places at 21? These are places my parents went…but slades and savvor are popular with people in my age group.

It’s not Ibiza or Nashville or even DC but it’s def not a bad spot for lounges like this. Idk how it compares to all other cities though.
Boston nightlife strikes me as rather decentralized. That has pros and cons overall but it kind of sucks for a visitor. It's fun to be able to hop around to find the right vibe for a given a moment.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:32 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post

Boston nightlife strikes me as rather decentralized. That has pros and cons overall but it kind of sucks for a visitor. It's fun to be able to hop around to find the right vibe for a given a moment.
You are not wrong. You’re 1000% right. I think it’s more than just visitors. You basically need to be a real local to know the good spots. I’ve really never been at a lost for things to do but it surely is different than most cities here all the nightlife is right here and there’s synergy and vibe.

There’s a bit of a concentration in the Theatre district (ICON, The W, Tunnel, Bijou, Royale, Cure, HAVA, Candibar) then some closer to the Leather district (GoodLife, Society on High, Savvor) but honestly as a local who didn’t go to college there I have no idea where college kids party in Boston. but yea you have music venues and bar/lounges spread around
  • North End (2Twenty2, Big Night Live, others I can’t remember)
  • Roxbury (Fort Hill, District 7, Jazz Urbane, Agas)
  • Allston (The Garage, Road Runner Brighton Music Hall, Wonderbar)
  • Fenway (Paradise Rock Club, House of Blues)
  • Chinatown (Moon Villa)
  • Cambridge (Middle East La Fabricia, Sonia)
  • South End (Darryl’s, Slades, Wally’s)
  • Everett (Encore Wynn, Karma Lounge)
  • even Mattapan (Macumba Lounge).

^Thats just some I've been to or friends vouch for. I completely ignored some places I know to be close to other areas and South Boston haunts like Coogans.

I’m assuming Somerville has some too but I’ve never done nightlife out there. Last time I was out there I went to Good Life Bar and we partied so hard you could barely breathe on either floor, like soakin wet type dancing. The big before that I went to a MMJ pop-up/Bar/Celtics Watch Party way down in Hyde Park. Free MMJ samples and free food. It was packed too.

Basically what I do when I want to go out is I just hit Eventbrite or click on one of the club promoter IG pages I follow. I also used to have a best friend who was a promoter… Like I just got a notification 20 minutes ago Offset is going to be at the brand new MGM Music Hall in Fenway next Friday.

I’ve also had the chance to go to some great outdoor mini-concerts in Beer Gardens, and some of the nicer clubs like Le Grand and Memoire. And some janky ones like Mangos in Jamaica Plain, Dublin House in Dorchester, and Mixx360 in Malden.

For things more subdued like lounges though I have no idea how you’d find out what the vibe or artist is on any given night unless you google it. But there are definitely quite a few jazz lounges and more opening as we speak. It’s got that sort of high-brow appeal that fit in Boston and historically Boston had a big Jazz scene in the South End and the residuals of that last today.

Ultimately I think it’s decentralized because everywhere Boston is full of actually houses- very areas districts that aren’t in residential neighborhoods except for industrial places not zoned for entertainment.

To say it hard for a visitor to know where to go is an understatement. It’s not a great nightlife city by any means but really if you know it well you won’t be bored unless you get tired of seeing the same people after years of going out. The lounge thing it’s pretty good at.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-28-2022 at 07:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.