Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Some old-timers in Denver still call I-25 "The Valley Highway" or just "the Valley" (for Platte River Valley). Otherwise it's usually called "25". Likewise, US 36 is called "The Boulder Turnpike" by again, mostly old-timers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 10:47 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Only people in Southern California do that. Here, it's just "80" or "101" or sometimes "highway 5" because it's so far out there.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:37 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
Ha ha! I bet you'd REALLY like driving in NJ, NY, & PA. There are toll roads everywhere. The only toll road I didn't agree with was I-294 in Chicago. Since I didn't have EZ-Pass, I had to pull over every few miles and pay $.80. Not to menton the exit on I-90 charged me $.50. Oh, If only I could've just paid the toll in one lump sump when I turned onto the exit ramp, that would've saved me a lot of time.
That's the only negative about Chicago. When I was driving through the NY Thruway the previous summer, I felt like a prisoner because I had to give the card and pay at exits when I wanted to get out of the Thruway. The only time I didn't have to give the card was at the rest stops with the monopoly on services sponsored by the State of New York. I was afraid of losing the card and paying $26 (the full 'fare').

This summer I went to California. Going through Arizona, there were no services and it was so barren and void of other cars traveling with me, I started wishing I was in Upstate New York again where the weather was cooler and the scenery was greener. Green scenery means people.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:00 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The only time I didn't have to give the card was at the rest stops with the monopoly on services sponsored by the State of New York. I was afraid of losing the card and paying $26 (the full 'fare').
No kidding! I had a similar experience when driving the Indiana Turnpike. I usually stick the ticket in the visor so I can know where it is at all times. This time, I had left it in a pile of papers and maps I had on the passenger side seat. Talk about a mad search of the car! I was actually panicing because I thought I lost the ticket.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:24 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Sheer terror is the first time you have to get off the Atlantic City Xway and don't have correct change.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:45 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
what happens at a toll when you don't have the money? I always wondered...do you have to drive the 30 miles back and get some money?

Old 09-22-2007, 12:53 PM

24,458 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
California is also different in that exits are not numbered but named according to the street you will exit onto. So instead of seeing something like "exit 220" you will instead see "University Ave."

I know there are other states that use street names when denoting exits, but it seems like the use of numbers is more prevalent elsewhere.
California exits off the freeways are being numbered and should be complete or pretty close to it. See below.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/signtech/calnexus/

Old 09-22-2007, 12:55 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
what happens at a toll when you don't have the money? I always wondered...do you have to drive the 30 miles back and get some money?
I asked that question of the friend I met up with in Chicago. The exit that charged me $.50 (it wanted exact change, too) had no gate to it. Somewhere at the booth, there's a website address where you can go and pay online. She told me that sometime people just blow through it. A camera takes a picture of the plate and logs it. If it happens enough times, you get a letter asking for the tolls, etc.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:08 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
I asked that question of the friend I met up with in Chicago. The exit that charged me $.50 (it wanted exact change, too) had no gate to it. Somewhere at the booth, there's a website address where you can go and pay online. She told me that sometime people just blow through it. A camera takes a picture of the plate and logs it. If it happens enough times, you get a letter asking for the tolls, etc.
I lived in Texas for 5 months and blew thru tolls all the time, I never changed my out of state plates and I have saved a couple hundred dollars. I know its taking pictures but I think it just sees the out of state plates and I get a pass.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:57 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Some old-timers in Denver still call I-25 "The Valley Highway" or just "the Valley" (for Platte River Valley). Otherwise it's usually called "25". Likewise, US 36 is called "The Boulder Turnpike" by again, mostly old-timers.
Really? I've never heard anybody say just "25." I've always heard "eye-twenty-five," "eye-seventy," "see-four-seventy," "highway thirty-six," etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.