Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 01:13 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,423 times

Advertisements

[quote=ajf131;1568220]Another good college town...Ithaca, New York...home to Cornell. New Haven, Connecticut I would also say is a college town given it is home to Yale and is rarely spoken of otherwise. Another college town could be Syracuse.[quote]

Syracuse........BRRRRRRRRRRR.
But I'll bet the rest of the year it's gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 03:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
New Haven is a pit. If Yale weren't there, it would basically just be another Bridgeport. As it is, much of New Haven is just another Bridgeport.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:06 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
New Haven is a pit. If Yale weren't there, it would basically just be another Bridgeport. As it is, much of New Haven is just another Bridgeport.
So then New Haven really is a college town in every sense of the word!

Old 09-24-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
So then New Haven really is a college town in every sense of the word!
Not really, no. Yale forms a pretty small portion of New Haven, both geographically and student/"native" population ratio. I guess not everyone is aware of the condition of New Haven and Bridgeport. I don't mean New Haven is a pit in the sense of "there would be nothing were it not for the college and it's just a bunch of run-down student housing." I mean New Haven is a dangerous, high-crime place. Imagine if Yale were in the middle of Gary Indiana. New Haven isn't quite that bad, but you start to get the idea.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
I guess not everyone is aware of the condition of New Haven and Bridgeport. I don't mean New Haven is a pit in the sense of "there would be nothing were it not for the college and it's just a bunch of run-down student housing." I mean New Haven is a dangerous, high-crime place. Imagine if Yale were in the middle of Gary Indiana. New Haven isn't quite that bad, but you start to get the idea.
Its funny because I always get the impression that CT is comprised of small, quaint New England-type villages. You know, the Norman Rockwell type. To see that Bridgeport and New Haven are such dumps plays tricks on me, I just cant get my mind to accept a hardcore ghetto lies in CT. lol

Old 09-24-2007, 04:58 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Not really, no. Yale forms a pretty small portion of New Haven, both geographically and student/"native" population ratio. I guess not everyone is aware of the condition of New Haven and Bridgeport. I don't mean New Haven is a pit in the sense of "there would be nothing were it not for the college and it's just a bunch of run-down student housing." I mean New Haven is a dangerous, high-crime place. Imagine if Yale were in the middle of Gary Indiana. New Haven isn't quite that bad, but you start to get the idea.
wow! never suspected New Haven to be a city big on crime. But then again, I never expected Alexandria, Louisiana to be either. Is it just me, or do smaller places like this have more of a crime problem than those cities that are stereotyped as the most dangerous. I would be willing to bet that New Haven as a metro area is more dangerous than St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland combined in their cities....as a metro area certainly i'd think it would be more dangerous...the latter four cities have some of the safest metros in the country. Am going to look it up now.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:00 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,427,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Another college town could be Syracuse. Lexington may be a bit too large to be a college town, although I certainly think it draws a lot of its size from the University of Kentucky. I've been there twice, and it really did seem like a town to me, although it does have a downtown area with real skyscrapers. I'll leave it up to Lexingtonians to decide whether they are more of a city or a college town.
Hmmm, interesting. Syracuse is a college town but Lexington isn't.

Lexington KY MSA Population is 436,684
Lexington-Fayette, KY Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change
University of Kentucky enrollment ~ 23,114

Syracuse, NY MSA Population is 731,294
Syracuse, NY MSA Population and Components of Change
Syracuse University enrollment ~ 18,186

Thanks though. Even if I find it strange that outsiders view Syracuse as a college town, I still like to hear what most believe about my area.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its funny because I always get the impression that CT is comprised of small, quaint New England-type villages. You know, the Norman Rockwell type. To see that Bridgeport and New Haven are such dumps plays tricks on me, I just cant get my mind to accept a hardcore ghetto lies in CT. lol
Think of Bridgeport as NYC metro's version of Aurora, only without the booming development around the rotting core. That pretty much sums it up. Now, imagine Yale were in the middle of downtown Rockford (again without the boom around the rot), and you've got New Haven.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:24 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Talking Scranton, PA

Scranton, PA: Home to the University of Scranton, Marywood University, Lackawanna College, Johnson College, and the upcoming Keystone Medical School, along with many more in the suburbs like Keystone College, Baptist Bible College, and Penn State University. All of these fine institutions are combining to finally give Scranton the "college-town" flair that it rightfully deserves. New businesses are opening up all over downtown to latch onto the student foot traffic, including art galleries, coffee houses, restaurants, night clubs, bars, etc. The city is becoming more socially-progressive and liberal with each passing year; the city recently went out on a limb to ban public smoking even though they knew that they were violating PA law by doing so. An organic foods store just outside the city is also leading the push to ban trans-fats in PA, and various communities near the city are now banning cell phone usage while driving. The influx of NY/NJ transplants is finally starting to transform Scranton from dying former mining town to up-and-coming exurb (I'm sure the popularity of "The Office" has helped a bit as well). The population of the city continues to decline, but this can finally be attributed solely to urban sprawl, as the population of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is actually growing again for the first time in decades as it leeches off of the growth of the adjacent Pocono Mountains. Scranton was also recently rated as having the nation's fourth-hottest housing market by Money Magazine, since its housing stock has continued to appreciate considerably (rising 1/3 in value over the past several years) while most MSAs bottomed out or depreciated due to the downturn in the housing industry.

Scranton will be welcoming 100,000 tourists to its downtown next month for the first ever convention for "The Office," and we also just landed the AAA affilliate of the NY Yankees last year in a stadium that is now right next to a brand new high-end retail complex that is frequented by the New Yorkers. As NEPA continues to become more and more closely-aligned with Greater NYC and the BosWash Corridor in the upcoming years (especially when the commuter rail link from Scranton to Hoboken, NJ is established), I think its growth potential is truly unlimited with its location just two hours northwest of either NYC or Philly.

I have taken 1,000s of images of Greater Scranton that can be seen in my photo tours on the NEPA sub-forum of the PA forum if you like what you see.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 09-24-2007 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Removal of Photos to Permit Easier Thread Load Times

Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
Quote:
"tolerable"
I've been here for 16+ months in Champaign-Urbana, and the question is: how long is it tolerable? I consider it to be my finest research project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.