Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:11 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Sputtering along? lol The Cincinnati metro added 20k+ jobs the past year.
Yes, but what was the job losses for the 2000-2008 period for Hamilton county? Double digit percentage declines, although the outlying areas did better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 10:05 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,037 times
What does 2000-2008 have to do with what's going on now???

Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
What does 2000-2008 have to do with what's going on now???
Cincy is going to have to gain a LOT more jobs in the next few years to come back to even based on the number of jobs lost in the past 8-10 years. However, I do agree that the recent trends are substantially improved.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, but what was the job losses for the 2000-2008 period for Hamilton county? Double digit percentage declines, although the outlying areas did better.

The Cincinnati area started losing jobs in the Mid-1990s. That's when many of my old classmates had to start moving out of the area for better employment. Even Proctor & Gamble, the company that prided itself on never having layoffs had layoffs in the 1990s.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:31 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
The only differences between the two appear that Indy is double the size and has double the crime rate but it is also less geographically isolated and has more cities in geographic proximity. I also find Omaha more laid back but the OP is going to have to come visit in person to see what he/she wants.
Meaning it has the same crime rate per capita? Indy is double in size, so then it probably has double the amenities.

I think both Indy & Omaha are worth considering. Tampa is the oddball of the bunch. It definitely has the most mild weather.

KCMO has gotten much better after a couple of years: Sprint Center, Kauffman Center, P&L District; a few of the surrounding metro areas are very livable with decent employment rates and household incomes.

I'd say fly out to KCMO, pick up the family. Take a drive to Cincy (you'll pass Indy on the way) the double back through Des Moines to Omaha. See which city fits you best.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:15 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Meaning it has the same crime rate per capita? Indy is double in size, so then it probably has double the amenities.

I think both Indy & Omaha are worth considering. Tampa is the oddball of the bunch. It definitely has the most mild weather.

KCMO has gotten much better after a couple of years: Sprint Center, Kauffman Center, P&L District; a few of the surrounding metro areas are very livable with decent employment rates and household incomes.

I'd say fly out to KCMO, pick up the family. Take a drive to Cincy (you'll pass Indy on the way) the double back through Des Moines to Omaha. See which city fits you best.
The one major problem with KCMO and this will exist forever is its so isolated from any major city aside from St Louis. Omaha is somewhat major but its more a medium sized city.
On the Contray Indianapolis is 4 hours away from St Louis. 2 hours from Fort Wayne. Which is like Omaha. 3 hours from Chicago the nations 3rd largest city and 2 hours from Cincy and Louisville. Soon Evansville will be about 2.5 hours away with I-69 being built and completed in a couple of years.
oh not to mention I-70 will take you to Columbus Ohio in 3.5 hours and Dayton in 1.5 hours

Old 07-03-2012, 03:04 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
2 hours from Fort Wayne. Which is like Omaha.
I get you don't think much of Omaha, but that is a ridiculous claim.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:02 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I get you don't think much of Omaha, but that is a ridiculous claim.
No kidding - Omaha can't be compared to Fort Wayne. Well, unless you're an unashamed Indianapolis booster, willing to go to any length to boost your city.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
No kidding - Omaha can't be compared to Fort Wayne. Well, unless you're an unashamed Indianapolis booster, willing to go to any length to boost your city.
lol have you been to Fort Wayne?
the metro area of the cities is similar in size.
again rashing out comments against me without proving anything.....

Old 07-04-2012, 09:07 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
lol have you been to Fort Wayne?
the metro area of the cities is similar in size.
again rashing out comments against me without proving anything.....
Omaha's GDP is 45,000 million - Fort Wayne's is 16,000 million. Similiar? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.