Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 05:49 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,556,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Do New England mountains (White / Green / Longfellow) look distinctly different from the more southern Appalachians? Besides that the southern ones don't have a treeline.
The north mountains in New England do tend to have rocky tops more often than the southern ones, but I chalk that up to climate. But the Mountains and hills in southern New York and Pennsylvania are all wooded like the south, so it does raise a good question.

As far as other differences I would say there aren't too many I'm aware of aside from variety of plants. The New England Mountains look very much like the East Tennessee/North Carolina mountains to me. Pointy clusters rather than long ridges like the Blue Ridge region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,370 times
If you see my name you will know where I am from if you know that region.I can certainly confirm everything south of Mt Union in Huntingdon has alway been different.We did not like most of them people near the river and north of that.They laughed the way we spoke.Then flatlanders moved in from the east and took over what little we had,including destroying the way we spoke.its sad to see culture die.I learned to speak with a flat tongue for business .The south end of Huntingdon county where I grew up once hd a very colorful dialect rich with local colocalisms ,but it is dying fast ..

Old 07-10-2015, 05:35 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,804,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aughwick View Post
If you see my name you will know where I am from if you know that region.I can certainly confirm everything south of Mt Union in Huntingdon has alway been different.We did not like most of them people near the river and north of that.They laughed the way we spoke.Then flatlanders moved in from the east and took over what little we had,including destroying the way we spoke.its sad to see culture die.I learned to speak with a flat tongue for business .The south end of Huntingdon county where I grew up once hd a very colorful dialect rich with local colocalisms ,but it is dying fast ..
I must admit I once looked into buying a historic property in the Aughwick Creek watershed (at least it would have been from another "flatlander" ) and it is among beautiful areas, honestly probably somewhat overlooked by the outside world compared to other areas as close to the beltways. One can hike through both northern and southern Huntingdon County without buying any property on The Standing Stone Trail

Old 07-10-2015, 02:52 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,556,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aughwick View Post
That same kind of thing happened up here too. What once was a relatively unique culture in the southern tier has been generally washed into the standard over years of tourists and transplants from downstate.

It still exists though depending on where you look. Take a trip around Beaver Dams/Monterey and you'll see and hear remnants of hill-country NY in its people. It is from this lingering sort that I gathered my Appalachian identity.

In other words, I know how you feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.