Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What American accent is closest to a generic Anglo-Canadian accent?
Upper Midwest 98 66.67%
Great Lakes 15 10.20%
Pacific Northwest 14 9.52%
California 8 5.44%
Other 12 8.16%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
The upper Peninsula of Michigan was settled heavily by Fins, Swedes and Norweigans. The accent that puts on American English is very much like the accents you hear in the Twin cities or the Movie Fargo. To me that is a classic Canadian accent
I actually think a Canadian accent sounds somewhat different. That is more of a Scandinavian accent, Canadian sounds more Scottish/Native American to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicane View Post
The upper Peninsula of Michigan was settled heavily by Fins, Swedes and Norweigans. The accent that puts on American English is very much like the accents you hear in the Twin cities or the Movie Fargo. To me that is a classic Canadian accent

Living in the upper midwest all my life, (Michigan) and some of it right on the Canadian border ( Da Soo eh) I can say the two accents are different. I can understand why people in the rest of America think they are the same because they are similar sounding to an outsider. If you really listen to a Canadian, at least one from Ontario you will see that they do sound different than those of us in Mi, Wi or Mn. Also Canadian accents vary alot from one part of Canada to another as it is a huge country.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
I voted for Pacific Northwest, due to similar settlement patterns.

Most Canadians don't talk like they do in Fargo. The generic Canadian accent is very close to the generic American accent, save for a couple of pronunciations (about = aboat, prah-cess = pro-cess, etc.).

Old 06-25-2012, 10:07 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,566 times
For sure UP of Michigan, Minnesota and North Dakota. Wisconsin is hit or miss. Madison and Milwaukee folk definately not but up in da nord woods. Oh yea you betcha.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 PM

629 posts, read 771,642 times
Take off eh

Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
PNW, with the caveat that it's essentially indistinguishable from how people talk in British Columbia, and BC is far more "American" sounding than Central Canada.

Essentially, "Oregon County" was settled pretty evenly by Americans, British, and Canadians without reference to territorial boundaries before the official boundary was set. Several decades after the boundary was set, there were still many in mainland BC who wanted the U.S. to annex it as a state.

The earliest settlers tend to create the accent that everyone else picks up when they move into an area. Hence, people in the PNW sound a bit Canadian, and people from BC sound far more American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I voted for Pacific Northwest, due to similar settlement patterns.

Most Canadians don't talk like they do in Fargo. The generic Canadian accent is very close to the generic American accent, save for a couple of pronunciations (about = aboat, prah-cess = pro-cess, etc.).
I agree with both of these.

My friend from Toronto sounds like she could be from Anywhere, USA until she says 'pasta' or 'about' and gives herself away. Most of the people from BC that I have met sound extremely similar to people from the Pacific Northwest, with the same exception as my friend from Toronto. People I know from smaller cities or rural areas in Western Canada and Ontario, like Saskatoon, sound a lot more like the Upper Midwest or the stereotypical Canadians in the movies with a very heavy accent. People from the Atlantic provinces sound a lot more Scottish.

Trailer Park Boys - Rickyisms - YouTube

Old 06-26-2012, 12:42 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,415 times
The Pacific Northwest and Northern Rockies. Midwesterners tense their short-a's while Canadians flatten them.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:13 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, basically the entire northern tier of the United States I'd say has the most similar accents to Canada, but without a doubt, the three Upper Midwest states (MI, WI, and MN) all have very Canadian-influenced accents...the dropping of u's in words like "house", "out", etc. is a pretty well-known feature of Canadian dialect.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:43 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,936 times
Minnesota Iron Range, Upper peninsula Michigan, Maine

Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Believe it or not, the accents in lower Michigan and Ontario are completely different. Crossing the Michigan/Ontario line in Detroit or Port Huron will give you two very different accents, depending on which border patrol you're talking to.

But the U.P. of Michigan has a very different accent from lower Michigan. It is more similar to Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.