Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times

Advertisements

There are several articles in the news today about people continuing to use their personal vehicles to travel to/from work despite the rising costs of fuel. I think if I could use public transportation I would, but for alot of people that's simply not an option. I was wondering what other people on the forum are doing to deal with the higher fuel prices, and if dependable public transporation is generally available to people nationwide.

DC

Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
public transport is not available to me either. luckily i have a lot of flexibility with my job and can work at home as much as i like. i do go in twice a week because i like to be with my coworkers and do some facetime. unfortunately those 2 days commuting are probably the same mileage as someone who has an average commute and goes in 5 days a week. i'd say my fuel costs are about $20/week.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:49 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There are several articles in the news today about people continuing to use their personal vehicles to travel to/from work despite the rising costs of fuel. I think if I could use public transportation I would, but for alot of people that's simply not an option. I was wondering what other people on the forum are doing to deal with the higher fuel prices, and if dependable public transporation is generally available to people nationwide.

DC
Have you considered that some people may be afraid to use public transportation?

Do you think people in major metropolitan areas, especially DC and NY, think about terrorism? It's one thing to take the crapshoot of being on a plane for the occasions when you are on a plane but that's not the same as being on a train every day, twice a day, five days per week. Let's say you aren't concerned about an attack on public transportation - how about just having a way to get out of Dodge when you have to and quickly? Don't you think that may have crossed some people's minds when deciding between a car and a train?

How about with all of the illegals here now not having to meet any health requirements, anyone worried about tuberculosis or other airborne contagious diseases you might pick up on public tranportation?

Then, there's the old favorite --- crime --- and knowing you will always get a seat in your automobile.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:55 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
If gasoline were to drop to 1 cent/gallon tomorrow, public transport would still be the best option for me.

Terrorism? I don't think about it, though it can be a concern in any public place.
Airborne diseases? Just as risky on the street or at your favorite big box store or deli
Crime? I never see any on the train, but always use common sense anywhere you go.
Seat? Yeah that can be a challenge, but my ride is 22 minutes so standing on occasion isn't too bad.

What about driving, a transportation mode that kills more than 40,000 Americans every year? If safety is the number one issue I'd be more afraid to drive than to get on the train.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:11 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,695,418 times
Public transit isn't an option to me and I honestly don't think I'd take it if it were. I feel much more comfortable driving my vehicle than I would riding a light-rail with hundreds of others. There really isn't much I can do about rising fuel costs except suck it up and pay.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:04 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,446 times
I don't have much choice but to use my personal vehicle. I live in the far southwest Chicago suburbs and commute to the North suburbs - been doing that commute for 10 years. Public transportation is not an option in a suburb to suburb commute with the distance I drive (45 miles one way).

My employer lets me do flex time, so I get to work very early and leave early, thus minimizing the impact traffic has on my life. Also, I usually work at home 1 day per week, so that helps a lot.

I actually like the 1 hour commute in the morning. The afternoon commute home can be a bear however and a real pain. I like listening to the radio and relaxing in my own personal space. I'm not a fan of mass transit and always prefer to drive to where I'm going. I like having the freedom to come and go as I please and not be dependent on the schedule of anyone or anything else. I've always liked driving, especially long distances.

My mid-term goal is to move to North Dakota and telecommute. My employer is OK with that and quite a few other people in the office here are telecommuting from out of state. So for me, the long commute may only be lasting a couple more years.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,531,511 times
Dayton, OH's public transportation system leaves a LOT to be desired. I live 38 miles from my job and both my home and my job are very close to an Interstate highway. But I work odd hours and must hand-carry the stuff I need in my truck to work every day since someone else drives it when I'm off. I've lived in Europe where public transport is VERY efficient and really miss it. Heck, it's even a challenge to get to downtown Dayton from my house (closest bus is 1.5 miles away) As for gas prices, I just "grin and bear it". My paycheck fluctuates every week so I just need to work a few more hours when the price spikes hit... I guess I can't complain; I don't normally drive thru Dayton at rush hour!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:50 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,418,675 times
There is some public transportation near me but I need to use my personal car for work purposes so it just isn't an option. I just pay whatever the gas station charges. Even if it were at $5/gallon I wouldn't be in the poor house (though it would suck) so I don't worry too much about it.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

DC
My Dad gets a take-home vehicle... An unmarked police car. He can fly down the highway going 80+ by police cars and he'll just get on his radio and say company car and they'll wave to each other. If a guy's being a dick on the road he'll blow the air horn and the guy will cut the ****. He doesn't have to pay for gas, either! Now that's my kind of job!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:47 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,134 times
Futurecops dad sounds like a stereo typical policeman. Abuse of power, abuse of privilege. Nothing personal.

And LauraC, that settles it. I'm moving to the Yukon Territories.

For me public transportation is not possible. I have to take my kids to and from school. But I am considering riding a motorcycle again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.