Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 03:13 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
While I def agree with your intent, what do you mean by this? I tend to always associate Mr. Twain with MO, which is def not a sunbelt state...
Well, literary scholars tend to group him with the Southwestern school of writers based on themes and literary conventions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 03:31 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, literary scholars tend to group him with the Southwestern school of writers based on themes and literary conventions.
Southeastern? I am not in the field of literature/English/etc. and I don't pretend to be, but I certainly see your point on themes and how he is grouped. Furthermore, MO has an interesting past with the South, but it is still def not a sun belt state no matter how you look at it.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:35 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:
Southeastern? I am not in the field of literature/English/etc. and I don't pretend to be, but I certainly see your point on themes and how he is grouped. Furthermore, MO has an interesting past with the South, but it is still def not a sun belt state no matter how you look at it.
Sorry...Southwestern. It's a literary school. But I see your point. However, Missouri at the time was very much a culturally split state. After all, Twain fought on the side of the Confederacy.

Here's a good, quick article on the subject: Southwestern Humor Criticism. While Twain isn't strictly considered to be part of the Southwestern school, the themes and humor are very much present in his work.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:48 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,041,305 times
Quote:
While I def agree with your intent, what do you mean by this exact part? I tend to always associate Mr. Twain with MO, which is def not a sunbelt state... Furthermore, while I agree this question is a bit odd to say the least... why are we starting to go the other way, ignoring the musical contributions of "northern" cities like NY, St. Louis, Detroit, etc?
I don't know that anyone is ignoring the contributions of cities from other regions, but the topic is concerning the minimal contributions of the sunbelt - which is false - hence the reason cultural contributions of the sunbelt are being highlighted and discussed.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:22 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,894,985 times
Western and Southern authors can't be overlooked. I'll spare the list, but there's many very influential writers who spent most of the writing lives in these areas.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:59 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Culture is not dependent on development...culture happens in rural as well as urban areas, so I'm not clear on what development has to do with it.
Tradition, ever hear of it?

Old 08-31-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Tradition, ever hear of it?
Okay...that explains absolutely nothing. I guess you must think that a less developed place is void of tradition. I assure you it is not. Anyway, I think it has been established here that the premise of the thread is false.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Okay...that explains absolutely nothing. I guess you must think that a less developed place is void of tradition. I assure you it is not. Anyway, I think it has been established here that the premise of the thread is false.
Right.

If the implication was that the South doesn't have longstanding traditions...well, all I can say is that the boy must be teched in the head.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right.

If the implication was that the South doesn't have longstanding traditions...well, all I can say is that the boy must be teched in the head.
Exactly.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:41 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right.

Yes. And ignorant as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.