Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:53 AM

3 posts, read 26,030 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I may be relocating to the west coast next year. What are the best cities to live in without a car?

San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and Tacoma seem to have good public transportation. What do you think of these cities? How do they compare?

My criterias are:
- good public transportation
- being able to go grocery shopping, go to the furniture store, and so on by public transportation
- safe city
- affordable

I'm 32. San Francisco seems very nice but I have heard negative things about it (agressive homeless people on the streets, not very safe at night...).

Thanks for your advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 12:49 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre89 View Post
Hello,

I may be relocating to the west coast next year. What are the best cities to live in without a car?

San Diego, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and Tacoma seem to have good public transportation. What do you think of these cities? How do they compare?

My criterias are:
- good public transportation
- being able to go grocery shopping, go to the furniture store, and so on by public transportation
- safe city
- affordable

I'm 32. San Francisco seems very nice but I have heard negative things about it (agressive homeless people on the streets, not very safe at night...).

Thanks for your advice
San Francisco Compact, dense...a Walkers paradise. Don't worry about the homeless people, it's really not that bad of a problem for most people. SF has great PT and the buses run all night (well that's how I remember it being). But SF is the least affordable big city on the West Coast.

Seattle Compact, dense downtown. If you stay near the core you wont have a problem. But outside of it Seattle still lacks. No city is completely unwalkable, but the further you are from downtown the less convenient not having a car is.

San Diego PT is good, but IMO it's overrated a bit in SD. If you can live downtown (as is always the case) you wont have a problem but San Diego tends to sprawl and meander outside of DT. It's still a driving city, especially out in the canyons.

Los Angeles Much better PT than it is given credit for. You don't need to be downtown but it still depends on where you stay. Midcity, KTown, Hollywood, Santa Monica and other places around the westside are doable. LA has a MASSIVE bus system and they go EVERYWHERE. Heavy Rail is servicable but still needs to expand. Light Rail is something LA has done well, and that is expanding too. I'd say south of the 10 freeway your car dependency will rise, west of downtown above the 10 you can live without one or with little use of it.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:51 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,836,735 times
I vote for Seattle.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:31 AM

Thank you, that's very interesting.

How safe are buses and trains in these cities?

In some cities, public transit suffer from a bad image, only unemployed or poor people take the bus. I'd rather live in a city where buses have a good reputation and the average person commute by bus or light rail.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:48 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,138,681 times
San Francisco is very much a pro-public transit city. All walks of life take it. Most prefer it. I have a car that I leave parked in favor of commuting by MUNI. BART is even better, if commuting from outside the city.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,742 times
MUNI needs to be grade seperated. What's the point in taking it if I'm just crawling along with the rest of the traffic?

Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
You can cross San Francisco off the list, given that you want "affordable." San Francisco has the most expensive rental market in the country. You could potentially find a decent deal in a walkable, public-transit friendly area somewhere outside of the city (we did, but we were very, very lucky), but why put yourself through that hassle if you can avoid it?

LA isn't on your list, but I found it very good for public transportation. It's significantly cheaper than SF, but probably not in "affordable" territory, either.

I'm not familiar with the NW cities, other than as a visitor. Portland gets all the glory these days. Not sure about prices, though. I'd give it a look.

You may also want to consider smaller west coast cities. Places like Santa Barbara or Monterey, for example, seem pretty good for people without a car (or at least that's from the perspective of a visitor arriving without a car), but you'd likely run into the affordable issue. Not sure about cities like San Luis Obispo, Ventura, etc. They may be worth a look. Or if you don't want right on the coast, maybe cities (big or small) like Sacramento, Davis, etc. Some places might not have a more limited (but still decent) public transportation system, but because they are also smaller places, they make up for that by being more compact and having good walking/biking connections.

Will you be looking for work?

Old 09-06-2012, 11:13 AM

Thank you very much.

I will be looking for a software engineering job. Many companies are based in San Francisco, the Bay Area, Portland or Seattle.

Ideally I would like to live and work in the same city in order to have a short commute (I know some people live in San Francisco and work in Palo Alto or San Jose area but I would like to avoid that).

Old 09-07-2012, 06:54 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
San Francisco is very good city for getting around on public transportation and not needing a car but as already mentioned it is expensive (like Manhattan on the East Coast).

Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 AM

10,755 posts, read 23,836,665 times
If you want an affordable with comprehensive PT and walkable neighborhoods then Portland would be the answer. When I lived in Seattle I took Amtrak down to Portland to visit friends and the downtown/Central City streetcars along with light rail made it very easy to get around without a car. Downtown Portland and its surrounding neighborhoods are very walkable along with some abundant parkland. Many C-D writers call Portland over rated, I think it's earned its merrits. It's a good model for urban planning and the most affordable big city on the West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.