Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,199 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are a few months into the "find our dream place to live" process. Everyone on this forum gives such great feedback that I thought I would give it a shot. I know we're looking for a lot here, but we're just starting out so any help you can give would be wonderful. Our vision is obviously still evolving as we do more research.

We are looking to settle down on about 5 acres - we want outbuildings, gardening, etc. Budget isn't set in stone yet, shooting for about $450k tops. We'd like to find a place like this where a vibrant town/city is within 10-15 mins driving distance. Being near the water is also a priority. We can work remotely so finding employment doesn't rank too highly on the must-have list.

Here is some other criteria:
- Good schools
- Access to outdoor activities and green scenery - mountains, rivers, ocean, national parks (some or all!)
- Climate: not too cold (I am from the finger lakes in upstate NY, brrrr!), BUT definitely not too hot/humid. That's what everyone wants, right?
- Access to medical care and a nearby (hour or so?) airport
- Nearby town/city with a vibrant community (energetic, active, good restaurants, low crime rate)

The Delmarva peninsula has been ruled out by the way.

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 05:18 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,138,083 times
Sonoma County will test your budget a bit, but should offer close to everything else.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:23 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Maybe college towns in western parts of states like VA, NC and SC or in WV, TN or KY. Places like Blacksburg, Harrisonburg or Bradford in VA, Asheville or Boone in NC, Clemson in SC, Morgantown in WV, Johnson City and Knoxville in TN and Richmond, Morehead and Lexington in KY. Land near Roanoke VA, Charleston WV and Greenville SC, among others, may work too.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:48 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,835,338 times
Somewhere in NC.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,619 times
I would look at Charlotte, NC (or the surrounding suburbs -particularly north of Charlotte). It is a 2 hour drive to the mountains, 3-4 from the beach, and the city is right by Lake Norman (which has an awesome boating culture).

I would say the best part about Charlotte though is that it has a lot of new development, a younger population, but still has a great cost of living. No other city I have lived in (Philly,DC,Seattle,Boston - most of those cities I only lived very briefly in) allows for a younger couple just starting out so many opportunities to do things. Here in Seattle, I am making more money than I ever had, but struggling to do the weekly things I was doing in CLT. I moved away 2 years ago to Seattle, and really miss the cleanliness of the city and ability to go out on the lake every weekend in the summer. To me it is a great place since it is a large city, but it's not too large/overpriced yet. School system is pretty good (probably could find better in other parts of the US), but there are some top colleges in UNC (UNC-CH being one of the "public ivy" schools.

The issues that I would see for you would be that it might be a little too hot for you in the summer (but I mean Boston and DC both got almost hot/humid in the summer months). Fall/spring is really great weather, and the winters give you snow, but rarely more than a foot. There also isn't as big of a city feel that more northern cities have (the city is pretty large, but also fairly spread out) and there isn't as great public transportation (although I heard their lightrail which was built recently is doing fairly well).

Old 09-06-2012, 06:40 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Maybe Chattanooga, TN?

Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe college towns in western parts of states like VA, NC and SC or in WV, TN or KY. Places like Blacksburg, Harrisonburg or Bradford in VA, Asheville or Boone in NC, Clemson in SC, Morgantown in WV, Johnson City and Knoxville in TN and Richmond, Morehead and Lexington in KY. Land near Roanoke VA, Charleston WV and Greenville SC, among others, may work too.
It should have said Radford instead of Bradford. Charlottesville VA may work as well.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,596,358 times
I wonder if anyplace south of Roanoke will be too hot/humid.

Have you visited the south in the summer to define your tolerance level?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 AM

27,223 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Somewhere in NC.
I agree, check out Orange County, NC just south and west of Chapel Hill. There are currently 7 listings for homes with your criteria and in your price range....actually averaging well below your max of 450K (sitting around a 300K average). The public schools in Chapel Hill (and neighboring Carrboro) are excellent, ranked #1 in NC and among the best in the nation. Nearby parks, Jordan Lake and the Eno River provide immediate water access while the ocean is 2.5 hours east (Wrightsville Beach) and the Blue Ridge Mountains to the northwest are also 2.5 hours away. Chapel Hill while a smallish town is the home of the University of North Carolina and provides entertainment/culture of cities several times it's size. The twin city of Carrboro (which borders Chapel Hill) has a great many options as well. Durham (home of Duke University) is less than 30 minutes to the north and provides among other things a fantastic restaurant scene that even the NY Times has picked up on (twice). RDU (Raleigh/Durham Airport) is about 30 minutes from the areas outside of Chapel Hill you'd be looking at.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,199 times
THANK YOU to everyone who responded! You all provided such helpful, detailed information. We currently live in Alexandria VA, right outside of DC. Asheville, NC is actually next on our list to go check out. What does everyone think of Asheville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.