Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 AM

372 posts, read 599,528 times

Advertisements

I'm been thinking about going away for college. To save money, I plan on going to community college for a couple years and then completing my degree at a college in another state.

Things I like:

-Fall! It's my second favorite season. I like cider mills and picking pumpkins and that crisp fall air with changing leaves.

-Open space. I wouldn't enjoy living in high-density places like Chicago or New York. I'm not against big cities, I just like things spread out. I don't like how the cities above have so much crammed in one space.

-Within drive-able distance, lots of trees and peace and quiet. Sometimes I like to actually be able to see the stars. I like the woodsy feel. I wouldn't want to live in a place like that, but i like to be able to go to a place like that whenever I feel like it.

-My idea of fun is bookstores and bowling alleys. Not clubs and bars.

-Please don't mention Colorado. I find the whole super liberal, super progressive, in-your-face-pro-marijuana culture really annoying and I'm turned off by it.

I'm 19 but I don't enjoy the things most young adults do. I'm a quiet girl. Introvert. Does anyone have suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:08 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
You may like Pennsylvania or parts of Upstate NY. Perhaps a community college like this may work: https://www.sunybroome.edu

Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 AM

367 posts, read 697,192 times
Don't know if you would like living in the PNW but, Portland has a cool bookstore called Powell's .I could stay in there for hours.You may like Louisville or Lexington Ky. Both have great universities. COL is cheap and very friendly people.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:05 PM

I'll Google some places in upstate new york. And I'll look into Pennsylvania.

I heard about the bookstore, seems cool, but Oregon is not for me. Thanks anyways though!

Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Hmmm well I would first ask what states have you considered? I mean Portland area came to mind for me as well but you shot that down pretty fast. Maybe a smaller town in Washington? Boise, Idaho maybe could work. That or Salt Lake city. Both are cheap growing cities with mountains and things to do nearby.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:49 PM

Also I would write off Colorado. Outside of Denver its not that liberal. Denver has a high Concentration (like most american cities) and once you head out of the metro is becomes more and more red. Same in Oregon outside of Portland and Eugene (which is a college town) and Washington outside the Seattle Metro area in which most of the rest of the state is VERY republican. I don't think political interest should sway a decision to stay somewhere but that's just my opinion.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Hmmm well I would first ask what states have you considered? I mean Portland area came to mind for me as well but you shot that down pretty fast. Maybe a smaller town in Washington? Boise, Idaho maybe could work. That or Salt Lake city. Both are cheap growing cities with mountains and things to do nearby.

States I'm interested in are New York (upstate), Missouri , Iowa (Des Moines), North Carolina. Maybe Minnesota. But upstate New York has a lot of people leaving. That's depressing and made me rethink the state as a choice. Salt Lake City is beautiful, but I keep hearing there is a lot of Mormons there. I don't want to be in a city where one religion is the majority. I'd feel out of place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Also I would write off Colorado. Outside of Denver its not that liberal. Denver has a high Concentration (like most american cities) and once you head out of the metro is becomes more and more red. Same in Oregon outside of Portland and Eugene (which is a college town) and Washington outside the Seattle Metro area in which most of the rest of the state is VERY republican. I don't think political interest should sway a decision to stay somewhere but that's just my opinion.

Did you mean to say "I wouldn't write off Colorado"? Colorado looks amazing. I'm not sure how you could just brush off the political aspects. Politics tend to spill into the culture/social/lifestyle of a place.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:27 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
Salt Lake City is beautiful, but I keep hearing there is a lot of Mormons there. I don't want to be in a city where one religion is the majority.
Salt Lake City is about 50% Mormon. Check out the Salt Lake City forum and ask some questions there. I think you'll be surprised at the answers you get.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Salt Lake City is about 50% Mormon. Check out the Salt Lake City forum and ask some questions there. I think you'll be surprised at the answers you get.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Also forgot to add Connecticut as a state I'm interested in.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
States I'm interested in are New York (upstate), Missouri , Iowa (Des Moines), North Carolina. Maybe Minnesota. But upstate New York has a lot of people leaving. That's depressing and made me rethink the state as a choice. Salt Lake City is beautiful, but I keep hearing there is a lot of Mormons there. I don't want to be in a city where one religion is the majority. I'd feel out of place.

Did you mean to say "I wouldn't write off Colorado"? Colorado looks amazing. I'm not sure how you could just brush off the political aspects. Politics tend to spill into the culture/social/lifestyle of a place.
Well obviously your not a city person so you wouldn't have any troubles avoiding that kind of lifestyle. If you have a few minutes Google Bellingham, Washington its a quiet quaint town on about 70,000 near the Canadian border. Right on the Puget Sound and very close to the mountains. It's only 3 hours drive away from Whistler as well.

Salt Lake is a great place to live for cheap. My cousin who is an black moved his family there about 2 years ago and had no trouble meeting non Mormons and other people. He is definitely happy and the money he is saving up for his eventual move back to Seattle. You should look more into it. Work on eliminating places off your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.