Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 02:41 PM

134 posts, read 343,832 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I've spent sometime in upstate New York, and I've heard about these two communities called Oniontown and Allentown. They are rural areas that a family settled about a century ago and essentially isolated themselves. The children historically did not go to school and they became very poor. The nearby towns madeup tales about the "Hillbillies" who live in these towns and discriminate against them.

This sounds similar to what I've heard desribed of in the appalachian region as a Holler. am I completely off base here? What exactly is a Holler? Also, could someone please recommend some other interesting communities like Oniontown and Allentown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 02:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
A hollow is a narrow valley between two steep hills often with an intermittent stream running through it. It does not specifically denote a human settlement, but humans do occasionally settle in hollows. For example, Sleepy Hollow, New York.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I think the "holler" is a valley along a stream, usually that is accessible from one end only. Nowadays, a dead-end road or trail that goes up a small valley a short distance. "Hollow" is a synonym for "valley", but places that use the term usually restrict it to less-traveled valleys. You wouldn't call Charleston's place on the Kanawha valley a Hollow.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:02 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Didn't Loretta Lynn grow up in Butcher Holler?

Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Holler is the same as or slang for hollow. It likely depends on where you live what locals call it.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:42 AM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinher View Post
Ok, so I've spent sometime in upstate New York, and I've heard about these two communities called Oniontown and Allentown. They are rural areas that a family settled about a century ago and essentially isolated themselves. The children historically did not go to school and they became very poor. The nearby towns madeup tales about the "Hillbillies" who live in these towns and discriminate against them.

This sounds similar to what I've heard desribed of in the appalachian region as a Holler. am I completely off base here? What exactly is a Holler? Also, could someone please recommend some other interesting communities like Oniontown and Allentown?
I don't know what a Holler is, but here in Southern Maryland we had the Brandywine community that eventually suffered from noticeable health problems due to isolation and inbreeding - characteristically they looked of mixed race and had strange stubs for teeth, and even talked a bit different. That community has now been sucked into the larger Southern Maryland community and has become less prolific.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:09 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
And then there's Happy holler in knoxville which was named for the bars that served nearby mill workers.

It's not quite topographically a holler but the name fits...

Officials, businesses hail Happy Holler 'renaissance' » Knoxville News Sentinel

Old 09-06-2012, 01:39 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
We had a bar/post office/grocery store down the hill in the nearby village that was called Happy Holler. It burned down about 10 years ago and basically took the community with it. As the name suggests, it was in a holler.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:17 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
A hollow is a narrow valley between two steep hills often with an intermittent stream running through it. It does not specifically denote a human settlement, but humans do occasionally settle in hollows. For example, Sleepy Hollow, New York.
That's my understanding. I had kinfolk in a tiny community called West Fork. They never referred to it as West Fork, but rather 'over in the holler'. The area was exactly as you describe.
Not all hollows are rural. San Francisco's Cow Hollow neighborhood is an example of am urban hollow.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:52 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think the "holler" is a valley along a stream, usually that is accessible from one end only. Nowadays, a dead-end road or trail that goes up a small valley a short distance. "Hollow" is a synonym for "valley", but places that use the term usually restrict it to less-traveled valleys. You wouldn't call Charleston's place on the Kanawha valley a Hollow.

Yes - having spent a fair amount of time in WV (and maybe even the little Kanawha) around mineral wells this definition makes sense to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.