Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:29 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I do hate the accent but I didn't say I hated the area. I just couldn't believe someone would want to willingly move there with all the other options on the list. Don't be so offended so easily.
It isn't that bad and actually has some thing going for it in comparison to the other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,611 times
Thanks for the suggestions. To answer a few questions, yes these are all locations that my company has an office in that I may transfer over to. That's why some are suburbs of larger areas. I wrote down the list as was given to me so I was only passingly aware of some of them belonging to places such as Chicago, Nashville, etc.

Income-wise TN, especially the beautiful Franklin area is kind of winning me over. But Another suggestion, Hanover NH, fits our personalities and lifestyle much more. Then again I'm not so concerned with local attitudes if people keep it on the down low because we have 4 years until the little one enters the school system. At that age we'd definitely prefer to be located somewhere more suited for her education that more closely matches our ideals.

Hiking and elbow room is a big thing for me but I've never actually had that kind of lifestyle either. I knew several people who lived in the 'sticks' both near Sacramento and Arcata and I thought they really had the life. Well proportioned houses, work spaces, land for little little ones to trot over, and lots of opportunity for hiking and outdoors. I don't hunt though.

Weather: I grew up in Sacramento. Dry heat up to 110 sometimes during the summer periods. A chill that hits your bones in winter. I loved Autumn and winter and summer has always been miserable though tolerable. When I moved to Arcata CA for college at HSU I feel in love with ~9 months of rain, the coastal feel, and always green forests and lands to roam. I've been over nearly every inch of California north of the Mojave but have only been on a couple trips outside the borders (aside from when I'm in Tahoe).

With any luck maybe this information will help narrow down my list or kick my ass in a new direction (easier said than done with wife and kid!).

Old 09-22-2012, 03:25 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I do hate the accent but I didn't say I hated the area. I just couldn't believe someone would want to willingly move there with all the other options on the list. Don't be so offended so easily.
Not offended; just giving you some perspective. Your theory that no one would willingly live in/move to Rochester isn't very accurate based on the OP having it on their list and the fact that there are plenty of people on this forum and throughout the Rochester area who willingly moved here.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:13 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Not offended; just giving you some perspective. Your theory that no one would willingly live in/move to Rochester isn't very accurate based on the OP having it on their list and the fact that there are plenty of people on this forum and throughout the Rochester area who willingly moved here.
It's not my theory, it was just one quick thought that came outta my head. I don't care if you think it was accurate. The more opinions the OP has, perhaps the better perspective it'll give him when making the decision.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:03 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Another Rochester area community that may work is Canandaigua. Visiting Canandaigua : Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce

Canandaigua, NY*
Town of Canandaigua, New York, USA

Canandaigua New York - Your Guide to Beautiful Downtown Canandaigua, NY

Canandaigua Wine Trail - Canandaigua, New York, Finger Lakes Wine, Wineries, New York Wine, Vineyard, Travel, Tourism, Wine Trails, Seneca Wine Trail, Keuka Wine Trail, Cayuga Wine Trail, Niagara Wine Trail, Wine Events

Canandaigua City School District
Welcome - St. Mary School (Canandaigua)
Home
Canandaigua Schools - Canandaigua, NY | GreatSchools
The Business Journals (#42)

Canandaigua (city), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Canandaigua (town), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.