Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:36 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
No place has ZERO humidity. With the great advent of the internet and weather sites all over the place, you should at least post something CLOSE to the truth. I just picked three spots at random in the area you are claiming to have no humidity, the lowest is 69% in Coos Bay, OR. Then I picked the town that is close to me - 60%. A quick view of some cities and towns on the Eastern Seaboard looks like they are a little higher, but not a giant amount. A lot of the people in the East HAVE been to the West Coast, probably a larger percentage than the other way around (but that is just based on personal contacts and not on any scientific study).

I have found that Southern California actually has the lower humidity in my travels, which would hold true for this evening as well with LA, checking in on the Weather Channel at 85 degrees and 29% humidity. if you go inland much you DO get humidity numbers in the teens and 20's, BUT you also don't get the cooling effect of the ocean and the temps climb 30 or 40 degrees over what they are right on the coast. What most people are saying is that they don't like the heat, well 100+ even if it is a dry heat is still darn hot, and feels hotter than mid 70's low 80's and 75 - 85% humidity.
I was exaggerating, I think most people understood that. I'm simply saying it never feels humid on the west coast like it does on the east coast. Summer temperatures are comparable in the northwest and in the northeast. Each have most days of 70s/80s with some days in the 90s, only the west never feels humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:22 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Pennsylvania...of course!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:15 PM

209 posts, read 657,807 times
Michigan... usually low 80's for the summer and about a week or two worth's of 90+... perfect to get that hot summer feeling and go to the beach or swim in a lake, but doesn't get ridiculous. Lots of sunshine but we get thunderstorms which is my favorite part of summer, and everything is green and beautiful.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:21 PM

169 posts, read 456,295 times
Colorado or Northern New Mexico. Actually, pretty much anywhere in the Rockies. Nice and sunny, never humid, and not too hot at the higher elevations. All the people listing Wisconsin, Michigan, and New England have the temperature part right but are forgetting the humidity in those places. Oh, and the mosquitos, as somebody said, which come with the humidity.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:35 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
I have to agree - having lived in California, Colorado and Michigan I'd say from the humidity and bugs standpoint, Colorado beats the Midwest hands down.
I love thunderstorms too - both the Midwest and the Rockies get their share of summer storms, but at least here in Michigan they're not as often destructive as they can be in Colorado, with the tornados and hail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpoguy View Post
Colorado or Northern New Mexico. Actually, pretty much anywhere in the Rockies. Nice and sunny, never humid, and not too hot at the higher elevations. All the people listing Wisconsin, Michigan, and New England have the temperature part right but are forgetting the humidity in those places. Oh, and the mosquitos, as somebody said, which come with the humidity.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 AM

426 posts, read 958,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This is a tough question to answer because a state like Washington has a region with one of the best summers in the country (the coastal areas) and a much vaster region,the western 4/5ths of the state, that is a blazing, white-hot hell-hole.
I'm assuming the "blazing, white-hot-hell-hole" is the eastern portion of the state, not the "western 4/5ths". In reality, Summer temps East of the Cascades only average 10-15 degrees warmer than the West side, with lower humidity as well.

Avg high for Seattle in Aug is 75, Spokane's is 83.

If you get to the "coastal areas", you might need a sweatshirt. Average high in August for Ocean Shores is only 67.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:51 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
If you get to the "coastal areas", you might need a sweatshirt. Average high in August for Ocean Shores is only 67.
That is a HUGE turnoff for me when it comes to the Pacific coast. 67 degrees in August would be a huge bummer.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 PM

117 posts, read 293,534 times
I don't know about the best but I can tell you that Arizona has the worst summer you can ever experience! I should know, I have lived here all my life. Every day we get around 105-110 degree weather in the summer and it sucks.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:17 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Northern Michigan by Lake Michigan.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:24 AM

605 posts, read 1,842,777 times
Florida (summer nights are the best)...during the day i would say colorado, new mexico and oregon. Maybe Utah as well. They are pleasently warm without being grossly humid. It would have to be inland oregon though...
The worst is probably Alaska!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.