Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:54 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times

Advertisements

Yep, alive and well in Memphis and most other parts of TN from what I can tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 07:07 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's still common, and still viewed by most as a positive form of courtesy. Of course, we live in a mobile, global society, so it's usage is lessening rather than remaining constant or increasing.

Personally, I like it. My four children are now grown, and two have kids of their own. They are teaching them to use those terms as well.

Also, many military families use those terms, regardless of where they are from or where they are stationed.

Exactly. It is nice to know that some are still raised with good manners. We have lost and are still losing so much in this country. It actually is sad to see people look down on having good manners.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I lived in TN for 32 years and almost never heard children say that, even when I was a child.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:22 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Where I come from, a lot of kids would get lambasted for not saying it.

"Did you clean up your room?"
"Yes."
"Yes-WHAT?!"
"Yes, ma'am!"

...and if an adult calls for you, don't even dream of replying "what?" or "huh?".

Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Lived in Mississippi for over 2 years. "Yes ma'am" and "Yes sir" are very common amongst African Americans (I am caucasian), unless you're talking with a hood rat African American who thinks I am out to oppress his rights and must be rude to me. I would say it's still common amongst whites too.

Besides just that, people in the south are in a completely different mentality than those elsewhere in the country. It's a much slower and easier going mind set, drive slow, work slow, talk slow, take time to talk to people, even complete strangers they will chit chat with. Mississippi has the most churches per capita of any state in the country, and you best believe that nearly EVERYONE is out Sunday morning at Church, all dressed up too in suits or dress slacks.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:44 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I lived in TN for 32 years and almost never heard children say that, even when I was a child.
Your teachers, principals, bus drivers, coaches, Sunday school ladies, crotchety old neighbor down the street didn't require that?
My kids are younger than you and it was pretty standard for all the kids we knew to address nearly any adult as ma'am or sir, especially the elementary school teachers. I work with a lot of young twenty somethings and it's a part of their everyday vocabulary around here too.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:49 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
I think people overrate how much regional cultures are fading. In some ways I'd actually say they're growing stronger again. I think Southern culture is in many ways gaining ground and not dying. Rural people from all over the US seem to identify with it more and more.

It's not like everywhere is turning into Santa Monica now that we have the Internet. Don't you think TV would have done that already, it's been 60 years since it got popular. The Internet actually decentralized the media and thus makes regionalism ironically more relevant.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:05 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Your teachers, principals, bus drivers, coaches, Sunday school ladies, crotchety old neighbor down the street didn't require that?
My kids are younger than you and it was pretty standard for all the kids we knew to address nearly any adult as ma'am or sir, especially the elementary school teachers. I work with a lot of young twenty somethings and it's a part of their everyday vocabulary around here too.
I heard it occasionally, and certainly more so when I was a kid (in the 80s), but I wouldn't say it was the norm then and it was definitely uncommon by the time I moved away. I'd hear adults address each other as "sir" or "ma'am" frequently in a business setting, but almost never children. Maybe if I had lived in a much smaller town my experience would have been different. In fact I did work in a small town of 3000 for a couple of years, but I wasn't around children very much there so I couldn't really say how they acted.

Most of the twenty-somethings I knew responded to adults with a dazed, "Do what?" in between text messages on their phones.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:29 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,645 times
I didn't realize respect for ones elders ended when one was past the young adult stage of life. lol

I say 'yes ma'am' 'no sir' to my mother, father-in-law and others in the 'elder' category. And I'm an adult with adult children! My son thought his great-grandmothers name was ma'am because he heard me say it so much!

I still see it a lot where we live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-11-2012, 04:46 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Despite not moving to the south until they reached high school age, my sons very quickly learned that sir and ma'am were expected addresses here in GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.