Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:09 AM

17 posts, read 61,656 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for an area with lots of year-round, outdoor recreational opportunities, specifically, walking in scenic trails and parks and maybe even hiking, swimming, etc., in a warm or at least, mild climate. Nearby mountains are okay but I prefer hills or relatively flat terrain in the immediate area where I live. Ideally, there would be a fair-sized city, (population of at least, 20,000), nearby for jobs. I need humidity and like lots of rain and have therefore, eliminated New Mexico, Arizona and Southern California. Northern California would be nice but I think I would have to go to higher elevations to find the forests I'm looking for and that would mean colder temperatures. I've pretty much narrowed my focus to the southeastern region of the U.S. but want to be sure I'm not missing a good choice elsewhere and then, narrow my choices even further within the southeast region, if it is the best place for what I'm seeking.

Places I'm looking at now include; Eureka Springs, AR, Hot Springs, AR, Chattanooga, TN, Knoxville, TN, Johnson City-Kingsport-Bristol, TN, Greenville, SC, Spartanburg, SC, Asheville, NC, Winston-Salem, NC, Charlotte, NC, Raleigh, NC but I'm hoping to find still-warmer places with no snow and ice or at least, very little of it. I've seen references to South Carolina and portions of Georgia as having "coastal forests" but when I look more closely, it turns out to be swampland, which is interesting but not where I want to spend all my time. Would coastal North Carolina meet my needs or most of them? I've noticed that places like Greenville, Rocky Mount and Kinston, NC seem to have a combination of the substantial population and relatively low cost of living I'm looking for but do they have the recreational opportunities I'm looking for? Would living near the coast have a moderating influence on weather patterns?

Thanks for anything you can tell me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 11:36 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
The area of Alabama around Montgomery and Birmingham seems to fit what you want as far as recreation and outdoor opportunities. I've done some vacationing there and it's a very pretty area, lots of lakes and hills and trees. A little warmer than some of the areas you mentioned further north. No idea on the job situation though.
Noccalula Falls Park Downstream- Gadsden AL | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 12-02-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The area of Alabama around Montgomery and Birmingham seems to fit what you want as far as recreation and outdoor opportunities. I've done some vacationing there and it's a very pretty area, lots of lakes and hills and trees. A little warmer than some of the areas you mentioned further north. No idea on the job situation though.
Noccalula Falls Park Downstream- Gadsden AL | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Hi DubbleT,

Thanks for the link! OMG! This place is gorgeous!

I didn't know Montgomery is in the southern part of the state or so big. Both look like good candidates. A relatively short drive to the coast too, which is good. Are there plenty of recreational opportunities inside these towns or do you have to drive a long way to get to them?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:16 PM

Bonus points for a place that has big, old trees that arch over the street, so as to form a sort of canopy in most residential neighborhoods.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:27 PM

Oh....and to my list of places, currently under consideration, please add Deland, FL but hold the alligators, please!

Old 12-02-2012, 04:35 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Quote:
big, old trees that arch over the street
You have just described Tallahassee. I won't say trees arch over all of the streets but they are quite proud of their canopy streets that go on for miles and miles.

I'm not sure how good the job situation is so you would need to find a job before you move.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
You have just described Tallahassee. I won't say trees arch over all of the streets but they are quite proud of their canopy streets that go on for miles and miles.

I'm not sure how good the job situation is so you would need to find a job before you move.
Hi Creeksitter,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! Coincidentally, I was researching Tallahassee because of something I'd read in another thread. The size of the population looks like it would support lots of jobs but the cost of living, specifically with regard to rent houses, is a concern. Still, I'm thinking that being a college town, there should be a large number of rentals to choose from and hopefully, a significant number in my price range and in a reasonably safe area of town.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXSE View Post
Hi DubbleT,

Thanks for the link! OMG! This place is gorgeous!

I didn't know Montgomery is in the southern part of the state or so big. Both look like good candidates. A relatively short drive to the coast too, which is good. Are there plenty of recreational opportunities inside these towns or do you have to drive a long way to get to them?
Sorry, my experience of the area is from a friends cabin in the woods. Not sure what is available in the towns themselves, but if you like hiking, swimming, boating and generally just enjoying nature it's a fantastic area to be in, and yeah, the proximity to the gulf coast is a plus.
I've lived in Tallahassee too. I give it a thumbs up, although it has a different outdoorsy vibe than the middle Alabama area. More Live Oaks, Spanish Moss, palmetto, and some awesome springs nearby.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXSE View Post
Bonus points for a place that has big, old trees that arch over the street, so as to form a sort of canopy in most residential neighborhoods.
You mean places like this ... Savannah, GA?

Last edited by JMT; 03-22-2015 at 08:00 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 12:34 AM

216 posts, read 448,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You mean places like this ... Savannah, GA?

What about Asheville NC? Pisgah forest is nearby.....

Charleston SC is also a favorite of mine as well! Not really mountainous but very, very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.