Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 05:22 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times

Advertisements

For legal immigration, the US picks who they let in.

But what if each state could create criteria for who they let move into their state. I'm thinking, generally speaking, they would reject applicants that would cost them money. So, if you are on some state program, you'd be rejected. Do you agree? But can you think of some qualities/skills a person would have that would make them attractive to any particular state? Or can you think of some qualities that would make them unattractive or create disinterest to a particular state? Can you see any states wooing particular people or groups of people to live there? For example, would Vermont and Texas want the same kind of person?

If states could pick and choose who they let live in their state, what state(s) would want you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
No state would accept me, because I question their policies and administration. Nobody wants anyone like me. They just want sheep. Shut up or get out.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:33 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,920,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
For legal immigration, the US picks who they let in.

But what if each state could create criteria for who they let move into their state. I'm thinking, generally speaking, they would reject applicants that would cost them money. So, if you are on some state program, you'd be rejected. Do you agree? But can you think of some qualities/skills a person would have that would make them attractive to any particular state? Or can you think of some qualities that would make them unattractive or create disinterest to a particular state? Can you see any states wooing particular people or groups of people to live there? For example, would Vermont and Texas want the same kind of person?

If states could pick and choose who they let live in their state, what state(s) would want you?
Each state would choose wealthy and/or skilled people. In terms of immigrants, ever state would want the well-educated, highly skilled, and entrepreneurial type that populate places like Silicon Valley.

Now of course agricultural and blue collar states would need to allow in a minimum amount of cheap labor to fulfill their particular industry needs, but on the whole there's really one type of immigrant every state wishes it could attract.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:43 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,085 times
Then Austin wouldn't be a city in Texas.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:53 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
This thread is stupid .... and dangerous.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
This thread is stupid .... and dangerous.
I think we all know how to deflect the danger, and get through the thread without any significant harm.

There is always 911, that can be dialed if harmed by this dangerous thread, and rescue personnel will be there shortly. I think C-D also has a support group, for people who are harmed by dangerous threads. It's over at Politics and Other Controversies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.