Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:07 AM

55 posts, read 127,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is different information than your previous post. Overall cost of living is still on par with Southern areas. Weather is subjective, as some will say thar the South is too hot and humid. Many cities in the areas I mentioned already have their artistic/hippy/Hipster type of neighborhood/area and have potential for more. So, you have variation in those areas that allow and already meet that criteria.
My earlier post spoke to the rate of gentrification, city social compatibility, and how it affects artists, as a response to someone remarking on the incompatibility of Kentucky for artists. My argument was about how working and middle class artists would eventually migrate to Southern cities as they were priced out of other regions. Nothing in my following post, which addressed my personal preferences, is contradictory. I lead that post with "True for some", then discussed personal preferences.

No regional restriction was mentioned in the subject line, and this is posted in the "General U.S." forum, not a particular state. Therefore, it's not apparent that some regions are restricted from the conversation.

Weather is only easily dismissed for someone without either Seasonal Affective Disorder or allergies. Each condition needs a different climate to live happily. Personally, living in a flat, grey and cold place would land me in an early grave, regardless of any bohemian amenities that surrounded me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 01:50 PM

93,238 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicewray View Post
My earlier post spoke to the rate of gentrification, city social compatibility, and how it affects artists, as a response to someone remarking on the incompatibility of Kentucky for artists. My argument was about how working and middle class artists would eventually migrate to Southern cities as they were priced out of other regions. Nothing in my following post, which addressed my personal preferences, is contradictory. I lead that post with "True for some", then discussed personal preferences.

No regional restriction was mentioned in the subject line, and this is posted in the "General U.S." forum, not a particular state. Therefore, it's not apparent that some regions are restricted from the conversation.

Weather is only easily dismissed for someone without either Seasonal Affective Disorder or allergies. Each condition needs a different climate to live happily. Personally, living in a flat, grey and cold place would land me in an early grave, regardless of any bohemian amenities that surrounded me.
I was just talking about how those personal preferences are a different story and how things will vary by person.

Also, the reference to the Northeast and Midwest was in regards to your initial question in terms of affordability. Many people may think that you would have to sacrifice something in such places in both regions and you don't have to if you know where to look. So, you don't necessarily have to be priced out of a region at all, as overall cost of living will vary within regions.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM

510 posts, read 888,839 times
Might look at Port Townsend, WA. The place is extremely liberal/hippie. About an hour from the airport, surrounded by water and mountains, really artsy, very green/organic. Sometimes the area is a bit over the top but worth a look.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:01 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,599,549 times
Since OP didn't mention weather - Duluth! Lake Superior, the Boundary Waters, forests and forests and forests, very Blue Blue politics, lots of off-the-grid people, good airport, lots of housing stock under $200,000, a large University in town, LOTS of outdoor things to do year-round, excellent food co-op. Big city people would call it a small town, but to us in the woods Duluth is the Big City for restaurants, museum, and theater. Beautiful.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 AM

74 posts, read 231,064 times
This is kind of a wild card but look into Chattanooga ,TN.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:12 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Sisters Oregon, although it is a couple of hours to the Portland Airport. but 20 miles to the Redmond airport and you can fly to Portland or Seattle from there and on to any destination.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
Has the OP defined small town? The small towns around Chattanooga are going to be VERY conservative. I've heard of a few tiny artsy enclaves NW of Chattanooga on the Cumberland plateau but they would be more than an hour from a major airport.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:18 AM

432 posts, read 609,709 times
Bala Cynwyd Pa
New Hope Pa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.