Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:26 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,414 times

Advertisements

The coldest winter ive ever experienced was summer in San Fransisco-Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 03:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Denver gets 60" snow in an average year; however, some years much more and many years much less. It generally falls in 4-6" snowstorms, then melts in a couple days.

Summers can be hot. Average 33 days of 90+ degrees/yr. Again, very wild swings from year to year. This year was 45, I believe. Not humid.

Altogether not a bad climate, IMO. Buy a house with a south facing driveway and you won't have to shovel much.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:46 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
About how much snow are we talking about? Also, how hot would you say the summers are?? Is there a lot of humidity??

About Vancouver.....how is the weather there?

We have thought about both Portland and Seattle but they are pretty large and spread out and without having family/friends there it is hard to get the "lay of the land"....best areas for older adults, nightlife, etc.
I have no idea how spread out Vancouver is, but it's a city of over 1 million people, I think. Victoria is much smaller.

As I've read on other threads, they usually get some snow, but it's rare enough the cities aren't prepared, have no snow plows or salt and local residents don't really know how to drive in it. From what I heard it usually doesn't last a week.

The summers aren't hot in Vancouver or Victoria. It is somewhat unusual for them to hit or pass 80 F. Summers are a little warmer on average in Vancouver than Victoria. There's only a lot of humidity when it's not warm. (like in the joke about Pacific Northwest, you might be from there if you have no concept of heat AND humidity)

Victoria B.C. has almost a carbon-copy climate of London England, only they have lots of trees and mountains nearby. This moderately-sized city is known for its British heritage. You have English gardens, double decker red buses, tea time etc.

Coldest average time of year is January at 43 F, "hottest" average time of year is July at 68-70 F, not even room temperature!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,562,445 times
I don't think Vancouver gets that cold at all. The metro has about 2 million, and the city of Vancouver is dense, very dense. On the scale of San Francisco. A very nice city with alot of culture, opportunities, et. cetera. Also very expensive. Victoria is alot smaller, and is noted for its Britishness. It kinda has a tropical vibe, alot of lush plants and gardens, but it just isn't a large city.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
Seattle's downtown is a great place to live. With an explosion of condo development it also is within walking distance of all the amenities. Fresh fish and fresh flowers from Pike Place Market, the flagship Nordstrom is dt, a wide variety of restaurants, stores, bookstores, coffee houses and supermarkets including a brand new Whole Foods. Catch a play at the 5th Ave. Theater, a concert at the Paramount or the Seattle Symphony at Benaroya Hall. Walk to the stadiums and catch the Mariners or the Seahawks. Weatherwise, not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter with occassional light snow.

Vancouver BC is even better imo. Pretty compact, dense, walkable and truely is one of the most beautiful cities in America imo.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Vancouver BC is even better imo. Pretty compact, dense, walkable and truely is one of the most beautiful cities in America imo.
Vancouver BC is not in America. It's in Canada.

We don't have many mild weather place and by calling it American almost like you're taking it from us...

That being said, many Canadians would love to lay claim to cities like Tampa and Orlando FL. There actually was a satirical comedy sketch on a popular commercial in which a guy on a podium finishes a big speech by saying "My Canada includes Florida."

Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

We don't have many mild weather place and by calling it American almost like you're taking it from us...

That being said, many Canadians would love to lay claim to cities like Tampa and Orlando FL. There actually was a satirical comedy sketch on a popular commercial in which a guy on a podium finishes a big speech by saying "My Canada includes Florida."
OK so I meant to say North America.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:14 AM

942 posts, read 1,392,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

I think it is much much more easier and I can't stress much enough for a canadian to live in the states versus the american living in canada. Canada is very strict on who lives there and I can't blame them one bit. The USA should look at canada for examples to many things. I think someone wanting a more mild climate, but not the extreme cold and snows of the rest of the USA that have cooler climates, would have to look at the northwest or some of the mid atlantic regions.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I think it is much much more easier and I can't stress much enough for a canadian to live in the states versus the american living in canada. Canada is very strict on who lives there and I can't blame them one bit.
The way our country is set up, politicians say "we need immigrants." There's probably some truth in that, because lately the birth-rate among Canadian-born citizens is extremely low. (since the 80's and earlier)

However, Toronto is the largest city in our country for a long time has received a lot more new immigrants than other places. Even with our restrictions, more new immigrants move here first than any other one place in Canada. Our government would prefer to see a more even distribution of new immigrants thoughout our provinces.

Canada does not seem strict to me on who can live here, but they seem a bit strict on where in Canada they'd let people live, with good reason too.

It seems like 50-80% of all new immigrants if given the choice would pick Ontario. Why? To me we just coinicentally have "Tommy Hilfiger" or "Abercrombie and Fitch" like popularity.

Probably 20-40% might pick B.C. as first choice, while 10% or less would actually pick one of our other English provinces as first choice...

Oh and probably less than 1% would pick Quebec as first choice, since they're predominantly French; even have French language laws for signs, schooling etc.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,973 times
Downtown Buffalo might be a good place for you. It is cold in the winter with a fair amount of snow (100" a year) but thats made up by everything there is to do. Theres plenty of affordable high rise apartments at a reasonable price right downtown (some on main street them selves). The metro train runs from The lake Erie shoreline right in front of HSBC arena (where the Buffalo Sabres play) up through Amherst,NY where the University of Buffalo is located. Downtown theres the Main Place mall (kind of old and rundown but nevertheless a mall), Fountain Plaza which includes a large outdoor ice skating rink. HSBC arena is very accesable anywhere from downtown and there are always concerts and events going on. Theres Lake Erie which in the summer offers lots of boating,fishing, and tour activites as well as a few beaches and plenty of reasturaunts. There are plenty of festivals in the summer and winter , theres the taste of Buffalo which is right at Coca Cola field downtown which features tons of great food, theres the Gus Macker Basketball Tournament, theres the Powder Keg Festival in the winter which features the largest Ice Maze in the world as well as many winter festivites. There is also the annual pondhockey tournament on frozen Lake Erie sponsered by Coors Light (I think? lol). The average summer temperature isd 79 at the airport but that is a good 5-10 miles from downtown and the advantage to living downtown is that in summer with a SW wind off the cooler lake the temperature can be as much as 20 degrees cooler then just a few miles away inland. Downtown Buffalo hits 80 about 10 times a year and 90 once a year if that. Most the time in summer its 70s. The lake often acts as a destabalizer for thunderstorms killing most thunderstorm complexes that approach downtown. The only downfall to Buffalo is the amount of snow. We average about 2-4 snowfalls a year where we see a foot or more. Usually about once a year there is a snowstorm that paralyzes the city for a day or so. As bad as it sounds its not, Buffalo is built to handle the snow and no one really complains. Sitting in the house while you watch a raging snowstorm from inside your high rise apartment , sipping hot coco or your favorite coffee can actually be quite a fun expierence. Hope you take Buffalo into consideration as I have lived here for 16 years and its awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.