Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Place to move: sexual orientation, accountant position, walkable environment, higher education

View Poll Results: What City(Cities) Should I Consider for Relocation?
Albany, New York 1 1.67%
Boston, Massachusetts 13 21.67%
Buffalo, New York 2 3.33%
Burlington, Vermont 9 15.00%
Chicago, Illinois 18 30.00%
Cleveland, Ohio 2 3.33%
Duluth, Minnesota 1 1.67%
Grand Rapids, Michigan 0 0%
Green Bay, Wisconsin 0 0%
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 0 0%
Hartford, Connecticut 2 3.33%
Lansing, Michigan 1 1.67%
Lowell, Massachusetts 0 0%
Madison, Wisconsin 12 20.00%
Manchester, New Hampshire 1 1.67%
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 1 1.67%
Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota 10 16.67%
Nashua, New Hampshire 3 5.00%
New Haven, Connecticut 1 1.67%
New York City, New York 13 21.67%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 9 15.00%
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 5 8.33%
Portland, Maine 9 15.00%
Providence, Rhode Island 11 18.33%
Rochester, New York 5 8.33%
Springfield, Massachusetts 1 1.67%
State College, Pennsylvania 4 6.67%
Syracuse, New York 3 5.00%
Worcester, Massachusetts 3 5.00%
Other (Please Specify Below) 4 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 02:49 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
SWB, I don't think you have failed. You have to be happy with small steps. If YOU like Scranton, that should be enough. Good luck to you. BTW, I see you don't have Denver on your list. Too bad, I could show you around, show you some suburbs with sidewalks (!), etc.
Suburban sidewalks? Is that an oxy-moron? LOL! Denver is ultimately just a bit too isolated from the entirety of my extended family for my tastes. The nearest relatives would all be a plane flight away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 02:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Suburban sidewalks? Is that an oxy-moron? LOL! Denver is ultimately just a bit too isolated from the entirety of my extended family for my tastes. The nearest relatives would all be a plane flight away.
Don't you remember that big, long discussion? Yes, suburban sidewalks. Oh, well. Good luck in your decision.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Don't you remember that big, long discussion? Yes, suburban sidewalks. Oh, well. Good luck in your decision.
Thank you. I know; I was just yanking your chain a bit.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:15 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,832 times
Center City, Philadelphia. Very gay-friendly. Very walkable. Good restaurants. Many activities. Extremely historic. Less expensive than NYC. Attractive people; intelligent, too. Need I say more?

Old 10-19-2007, 04:50 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times
My vote goes to Boston for you!

That seems to be right up your alley! (pun intended...teasing though...lol.)

That town seems to be teeming with very-intelligent people, like yourself SWB! I'd think it'd be a fit.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
My vote goes to Boston for you!

That seems to be right up your alley! (pun intended...teasing though...lol.)

That town seems to be teeming with very-intelligent people, like yourself SWB! I'd think it'd be a fit.
Boston is currently winning my heart over. I know it's incredibly expensive, but a CPA and salon owner should be able to earn enough combined to get by. We don't want to live extravagant lifestyles by any means. If we live close enough to the city core we won't need a vehicle. I'd ideally love to have a rowhome (especially one of those in Beacon Hill), but I know those cost mega-moolah!

P.S. "Very-intelligent?" Were you looking in the mirror again?

Old 10-20-2007, 03:33 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
How about trying the someplace with much milder winters than the cities on the list and trying someplace in the Lower Midwest and living in St. Louis, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Columbus, or Cincinnati? All I see on these lists are cities with the most severe winters out there. If I had to choose a city in the Northeast/Upper Midwest, I would go with either Chicago or the Twin Cities. If I had to choose the Northeast, I'd probably do either Boston or New York.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
How about trying the someplace with much milder winters than the cities on the list and trying someplace in the Lower Midwest and living in St. Louis, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Columbus, or Cincinnati? All I see on these lists are cities with the most severe winters out there. If I had to choose a city in the Northeast/Upper Midwest, I would go with either Chicago or the Twin Cities. If I had to choose the Northeast, I'd probably do either Boston or New York.
I personally love a nice, long, hearty winter; I suppose I'm one of the oddballs out there today. As the forecast once again calls for highs near 80 the next few days, I'm wondering "Where is Fall?" At this rate winter won't be coming until February. I've already had several people trying to steer me to Charlotte, but I refuse to move to a city that's lucky to get two or three inches of snow all season and has dew points in the 70s all summer long. (I'm not a pretty sight when I'm running and all sweaty from the humidity). ICK!

Old 10-20-2007, 08:16 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times
I like Boston for you, but if you want to go midwest check out Madison, Wisconsin.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:15 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I personally love a nice, long, hearty winter; I suppose I'm one of the oddballs out there today. As the forecast once again calls for highs near 80 the next few days, I'm wondering "Where is Fall?" At this rate winter won't be coming until February. I've already had several people trying to steer me to Charlotte, but I refuse to move to a city that's lucky to get two or three inches of snow all season and has dew points in the 70s all summer long. (I'm not a pretty sight when I'm running and all sweaty from the humidity). ICK!
I see. Well, take my advice and try the Twin Cities. Probably the most friendly city in the Upper Midwest. I wouldn't do Cleveland or Detroit because they are losing population and experiencing economic decline right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.