Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:23 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Actually, let me analyze this a bit further. You pay $20,000 down on a home worth $500,000,
The problem is your basing it on $500,000 home. Not true at all. You can easily get a $300-350,000 home no problem. Not all housing in California is $500,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 09:34 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ly View Post
Thanks peeps...Yeah I would like to move to a big city and I prefer hot weathers...like hairmetal4ever rightly said, the UK weather is definitely no where near hot, its always raining and its less likely for any warm summer days. I'm actually moving alone to the states so I need to look at all factors very carefully especially in terms of the cost, so how’s the rent prices like? How are the apartments like? Are they well furnished etc... When renting an apartment how good is it to get a roommate like I said I’m moving on my own so having a roommate would be a good start... I'm actually thinking more along the lines of New York, California Florida etc I guess the main reason for that would be because I’ve not seen America and I’m just going according to what the media portrays...I'm actually looking for a big change and wanting to take the plunge...Does anyone know any good graduate job websites??? I am very social and active person so beaches and places where to relax and unwind is second to top of my list...
You'd probably have to ask on the individual city or state forums to find out what kind of appartments you get for your money.

Do extremely fast and smooth rollercoasters interest you? The U.S. has some (or all) of the fastest. My favorite is called "Cedar Point" in Sandusky, Ohio on Lake Erie (one of the Great Lakes) and it has 5 coasters faster than 110 km/h, 2 faster than 150 km/h and one called "Top Thrill Dragster" that goes 0-196 km/h in 4 seconds. It felt like a gentle version of a space shuttle launch. There's also a Six Flags park in New Jersey (kinda near NYC) that has a similar coaster that goes 0-206 km/h in 4 seconds. The closest city to Cedar Point is Cleveland and it's about 45 minutes west of Cleveland. But I don't know if you'd like living in Cleveland. Still, a fun place to vacation.

The beaches are also one of my most favorite places to be. I've mostly been to the beaches along the southern Atlantic coast, but I also have been to a Gulf of Mexico beach near Tampa and a few in southern California.

Since you'd like to live in a big city, want warm weather, beaches, are very social, I wouldn't rule out Honolulu, Hawaii if I were you. I think they have over a million people in Honolulu. If your degree is valued with your new employer, you could be making a nice enough income even though it's expensive to live there.

Good Luck!

Old 10-06-2006, 05:56 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
The problem is your basing it on $500,000 home. Not true at all. You can easily get a $300-350,000 home no problem. Not all housing in California is $500,000.
Very true. I was just basing the assumption moreso onto the LA, Orange County, Frisco, and San Diego metros, as most immigrants from other countries (excluding Mexico) tend to head to these areas when they talk about settling in California. I'm sure the interior areas (Sacramento, Modesto, Fresno, Bakersfield, etc.) are just as nice to call home and are a bit cheaper, but they don't draw quite as many of the "young and looking for opportunities in a new frontier" type of crowd. In any event, $350,000 is still outrageous if you're going to be earning a $50,000 salary. Here in Scranton, you could earn $50,000, and $350,000 would get you a very posh new construction home on a cul-de-sac in a new housing development, as opposed probably to the small middle-aged ranch homes that same $350,000 would probably fetch you in most of California. I just can't envision paying upwards of 40% of my net income on housing, as many in California now do according to a recent study! When you get done paying for the mortgage, utilities, insurance, vehicle payments, taxes, groceries, etc., then how much do Californians have left over to spend on luxury items? Probably very little, if anything, for most, and I see that as being a problem! If you work hard all year, you should have plenty left over to pamper yourself and your family with (as well as savings and investments) instead of worrying about how much of that remainder you may have to put aside for a rainy day (no pun intended for sunny CA! LOL!)

I just can't fathom why people in CA are willing to pay such outrageous housing prices, even if they can afford them. If I were living in CA, I'd create an organized surge in homeowners suddenly selling and trading off to rent, causing the housing stock to boom and housing prices to finally cool off due to the lessening demand. I've been on Realtor.com; $400,000 for a two-bedroom ranch home is simply outrageous!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 10-06-2006 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 10-06-2006, 05:59 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
You'd probably have to ask on the individual city or state forums to find out what kind of appartments you get for your money.

Do extremely fast and smooth rollercoasters interest you? The U.S. has some (or all) of the fastest. My favorite is called "Cedar Point" in Sandusky, Ohio on Lake Erie (one of the Great Lakes) and it has 5 coasters faster than 110 km/h, 2 faster than 150 km/h and one called "Top Thrill Dragster" that goes 0-196 km/h in 4 seconds. It felt like a gentle version of a space shuttle launch. There's also a Six Flags park in New Jersey (kinda near NYC) that has a similar coaster that goes 0-206 km/h in 4 seconds. The closest city to Cedar Point is Cleveland and it's about 45 minutes west of Cleveland. But I don't know if you'd like living in Cleveland. Still, a fun place to vacation.

The beaches are also one of my most favorite places to be. I've mostly been to the beaches along the southern Atlantic coast, but I also have been to a Gulf of Mexico beach near Tampa and a few in southern California.
Quick off topic--that's where I'm from, Cold Canadian! Watched them build the "Top Thrill Dragster" when I was working at the marina at Cedar Point. Yes, we used to have many roller coaster clubs from the UK come to CP.
Back on topic--I think Cleveland's gray skies may be too much like the UK. I live in FL now. I'd check out Tampa or Orlando for jobs in marketing. Those cities just seem to keep growing, so I imagine they would offer lots of opportunity. Good luck to you! Will be curious to find out where you decide on moving.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:01 AM

480 posts, read 1,917,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post

A $300,000 home is still not feasible on 45k a year.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:04 AM

480 posts, read 1,917,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Very true. I was just basing the assumption moreso onto the LA, Orange County, Frisco, and San Diego metros, as most immigrants from other countries (excluding Mexico) tend to head to these areas when they talk about settling in California. I'm sure the interior areas (Sacramento, Modesto, Fresno, Bakersfield, etc.) are just as nice to call home and are a bit cheaper, but they don't draw quite as many of the "young and looking for opportunities in a new frontier" type of crowd. In any event, $350,000 is still outrageous if you're going to be earning a $50,000 salary. Here in Scranton, you could earn $50,000, and $350,000 would get you a very posh new construction home on a cul-de-sac in a new housing development, as opposed probably to the small middle-aged ranch homes that same $350,000 would probably fetch you in most of California. I just can't envision paying upwards of 40% of my net income on housing, as many in California now do according to a recent study! When you get done paying for the mortgage, utilities, insurance, vehicle payments, taxes, groceries, etc., then how much do Californians have left over to spend on luxury items? Probably very little, if anything, for most, and I see that as being a problem! If you work hard all year, you should have plenty left over to pamper yourself and your family with (as well as savings and investments) instead of worrying about how much of that remainder you may have to put aside for a rainy day (no pun intended for sunny CA! LOL!)

I just can't fathom why people in CA are willing to pay such outrageous housing prices, even if they can afford them. If I were living in CA, I'd create an organized surge in homeowners suddenly selling and trading off to rent, causing the housing stock to boom and housing prices to finally cool off due to the lessening demand. I've been on Realtor.com; $400,000 for a two-bedroom ranch home is simply outrageous!
I don't know why! All I know is that, to me, it's not worth an extra $300,000 for housing just to not have to shovel snow.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Back on topic--I think Cleveland's gray skies may be too much like the UK. I live in FL now. I'd check out Tampa or Orlando for jobs in marketing. Those cities just seem to keep growing, so I imagine they would offer lots of opportunity. Good luck to you! Will be curious to find out where you decide on moving.
I agree that Tampa and Orlando are still growing, but from the sounds of the these city-data forums there are probably only plenty of opportunities to people who speak English and Spanish fluently.

I don't think Hawaii has the same Spanish immigrant problem; crossing three time zones on a raft would be quite tricky.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Quick off topic--that's where I'm from, Cold Canadian! Watched them build the "Top Thrill Dragster" when I was working at the marina at Cedar Point. Yes, we used to have many roller coaster clubs from the UK come to CP.
Neat! I loved the area, especially how dark the night sky is there. In Ontario, we have way too many street lights even in "one horse towns." I saw 3 shooting stars at a nearby campground.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

Since you'd like to live in a big city, want warm weather, beaches, are very social, I wouldn't rule out Honolulu, Hawaii if I were you. I think they have over a million people in Honolulu. If your degree is valued with your new employer, you could be making a nice enough income even though it's expensive to live there.

Good Luck!
We have really good amusement parks here in the UK, they may not be known for the best but they are pretty scary.. do u know any websites that i can look at.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:28 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ly View Post
We have really good amusement parks here in the UK, they may not be known for the best but they are pretty scary.. do u know any websites that i can look at.
Try funcoast.com. (Cedar Point area) Someone should start a "Best Amusement Parks" thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.