Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 04:28 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaM n.p. View Post
Facts. I know what you mean. But, out of all the major northeastern and mid Atlantic cities we have the most subtle southern in our accent that only they'd notice because 95% of our words and voice tone is mid Atlantic. To anyone living below us, or west of us usually will think we're from NY because they're not aware that we share some of their features.They'll think we're tryna copy them not realizing Philly has it's own accent that also includes those features. I had someone from Baltimore think I was from Boston, no cap. Once you get to Baltimore the more the southern increases. Once you hit DC the accent becomes full on southern.

Whenever, I was in New York they'd only comment on a few words I'd say here and there. Most of them thought I'd sounded regular. And, I'm not one of those ppl that tried to fade or exaggerate their accent to blend in or stand out. Lol. But I've heard it all. We get told we talk proper from anyone with a country accent, and our east coast bros up top will say we talk a little southern. But truthfully speaking, our accent is far from southern cus if it wasn't I shouldn't be able to hear how country Minneapolis, Flint, Detroit, Chicago, St Louis, or Columbus, or DC sounds. I would think we talk no different. No one is gonna ask someone from Philly, what part of Georgia are they from. DC would be a different story. I always thought blacks outside of Philly sounded country. I wish more linguist studied this, but they were too busy being biased on white speech and all. We need more black linguist!
I agree w/ this for the most part. I hear a smidget just a smidget of Southern-ish with certain words when it comes to a Philly Blaccent. I honestly think when you get to Baltimore is when the southern influence starts to get weaker. You do hear it from older Black people more generally than kids of Southern transplants in the Northeast. Midwest and the West coast I definitely hear the south in their accents more than the area from Philly up to New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 07:02 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
PNW v New England blaccent. PNW sounds a bit more southern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f4jZgyzakQ&t=54s

Dana Barros soudns more northern than Jason Terry. The way Terry says 'defendeRs 'is a dead givewawy hes from the (North)West. Dana Barros calls his school (Xaverian) 'Zuh-vary-en' he says 'Suh-vary-en' which is some real old school Boston stuff i dont even know much about liek sayinf idear (idea) or soder (soda).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdBp0KtKhQ8&t=25s

Old 08-07-2020, 07:08 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Nah! Blacks in Boston and NYC lack a southern accent completely.
Again, you're wrong. The black New York and the black Boston accent have a very slight faint southern twist to it. For example, listen to Stephen A Smith, 50 cent, Al Sharpton, Michael Bivins, Bobby Brown etc speak. They all speak with glide deletions where my become "mah", time is pronounced as "tahm" instead of "tyme", rhyme becomes "rahm", line is "lahn", all of these create a very slight and faint southern twang.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:41 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Again, you're wrong. The black New York and the black Boston accent have a very slight faint southern twist to it. For example, listen to Stephen A Smith, 50 cent, Al Sharpton, Michael Bivins, Bobby Brown etc speak. They all speak with glide deletions where my become "mah", time is pronounced as "tahm" instead of "tyme", rhyme becomes "rahm", line is "lahn", all of these create a very slight and faint southern twang.
Some people-maybe half.

Old 08-08-2020, 12:33 AM

79 posts, read 43,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I agree w/ this for the most part. I hear a smidget just a smidget of Southern-ish with certain words when it comes to a Philly Blaccent. I honestly think when you get to Baltimore is when the southern influence starts to get weaker. You do hear it from older Black people more generally than kids of Southern transplants in the Northeast. Midwest and the West coast I definitely hear the south in their accents more than the area from Philly up to New England.
Well, I meant from an East coast perspective that Southern increases the more south you travel. DC is definitely when it's officially southern. Bmore is like a mix in between. But, from your perspective as a southerner all southern accents fade out into Baltimore on up. I think we're on the same page? I don't think you meant that the southern influence is weaker in Baltimore than Philly because that would be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Technically, you're right. But, I feel like black speech needs a different set of rules. I feel as though glide deletion can't validate us as southern if your outside of the south unless you actually sound country. We don't even sound southern when saying it unless of course you're from the south. If a white person says time like "tom", it'll make them sound southern. It's kinda like how if a British guy used AAVE, but while using he will still sound British. We can say time like "tyme" and still sound Philly. Make sense? I agree with you though, I just feel different about it. NY and Boston definitely don't sound southern at all. Accents is all about phonemes and intonation too. I could say time[ tam ] like how they do in Chicago, but they'd know I wasn't from there. Some sounds are hard to produce if you're not a native.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:51 AM

842 posts, read 826,417 times
I haven't looked at this entire thread, but regarding ask/axe.... Did anyone bring up how many Whites in New Orleans say axe instead of ask? I went to high school in New Orleans, and I remember my high school English teacher flipping out over it and going around the entire class, making each of us pronounce "ask" to find out who the axers were. This was in a majority White suburb.

Also, don't some New Yorkers say axe? The traditional New Orleans accent has a lot of similarities to a blue collar Brooklynese. I also want to say in some of the old gangster/Mob movies, the characters would sometimes say axe.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:02 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
"axe" is one, "skin" is another. I've heard "...k-kyn" for skin. (No, not that kind of skin!)
Anyway, just another difference...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.