Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 03:29 PM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Also, I disagree with the person that claims they all sound black. Really? I don't think so. Go to any Ivy league school and see if you can pick out the black students by their accents. I don't think so.
That's not what I said. I said that there's a difference between sounding "Black" and sounding Southern. Some people here (clearly not familiar with AA culture at all) don't understand the difference between the two. You can speak Black English with a Cockney accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 03:34 PM

Rihanna speaks AAVE with a Bajan accent ("B***h, where my money?!")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-w8lEL_0y4

Old 04-03-2015, 03:38 PM

156 posts, read 200,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You think Mutiny77, who was born and raised in the South (and also has a lot more than 98 posts), is in "denial"?

The logic here doesn't make much sense. AAVE is of Southern derivation, but speakers of AAVE do not necessarily sound Southern anymore than speakers of English sound like they are from the British Isles. It's not appropriate to categorize AAVE as a "dialec" per se because it's really just a fancier word for "ebonics" or Black English.
No, I think Mutiny has some credibility and am going to take his views into account.

AAVE is a diaect. Look if you want to say I'm racist, alright but my literally my fiancée is black so I don't think so. AAVE is a dialcet just like every version of English is a dialect. Southern English, Australian English, Scottish English they are dialects dude. Dialect isn't an insult, just some people take it as one. Pretty much everyone speaks a dialect. We aren't talking pidgin like what some people in the carribeean speak, just a Dialect which everyone speaks some form of.

I totally get that a guy like dave Chappelle from DC or beanie siegal from Philadelphia sound northeastern, but they sound northeastern for a black guy. Take that how you will, but the "I sound black!" sound sounds southern. You can go to Buffalo, NY and black guys say y'all. White guys do not say that there. It is like the base of the dialect is southern and maybe there are some influences there but it still just sounds southern to begin with. Jay Z sounds like a southern dialect influenced by a New York dialect. If you want to sound 100% non-southern it would be like a white dude in New York or Philly or Baltimore or Boston you name it, but the black dudes have a distinctly southern base with some influence from those.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
AAVE is a diaect. Look if you want to say I'm racist, alright but my literally my fiancée is black so I don't think so.
Well, there it is Black folks of City-Data. There's no one more knowledgeable about Black people (and their accents) than a non-Black person who dates a Black person.

Though it's interesting that with AAVE the focus is rarely ever on vowel shifts or the tense-lax split. It's almost always on the way words are arranged. It's like White people simply can't come to grips with someone saying "We be" instead of "We are." It serves as a huge mental barrier that prevents them from hearing anything else in the speech.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:48 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,188,334 times
Quote:
No, I think Mutiny has some credibility and am going to take his views into account.

AAVE is a diaect. Look if you want to say I'm racist, alright but my literally my fiancée is black so I don't think so. AAVE is a dialcet just like every version of English is a dialect. Southern English, Australian English, Scottish English they are dialects dude. Dialect isn't an insult, just some people take it as one. Pretty much everyone speaks a dialect. We aren't talking pidgin like what some people in the carribeean speak, just a Dialect which everyone speaks some form of.

I totally get that a guy like dave Chappelle from DC or beanie siegal from Philadelphia sound northeastern, but they sound northeastern for a black guy. Take that how you will, but the "I sound black!" sound sounds southern. You can go to Buffalo, NY and black guys say y'all. White guys do not say that there. It is like the base of the dialect is southern and maybe there are some influences there but it still just sounds southern to begin with. Jay Z sounds like a southern dialect influenced by a New York dialect. If you want to sound 100% non-southern it would be like a white dude in New York or Philly or Baltimore or Boston you name it, but the black dudes have a distinctly southern base with some influence from those.
Chappelle sounds very southern honestly.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
We all look alike too. Just in case you weren't aware.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Well, there it is Black folks of City-Data. There's no one more knowledgeable about Black people (and their accents) than a non-Black person who dates a Black person.
In other words you have no way to rebuke it so you revert to sarcasm. Just like Australians generally sound British-esque blacks in New York, DC, Oakland sound southern. It must suck that you can't play the race card on me. I don't see why a black American needs to be the default expert when it's so hard to hear your own accent without any bias.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
In other words you have no way to rebuke it so you revert to sarcasm. Just like Australians generally sound British-esque blacks in New York, DC, Oakland sound southern. It must suck that you can't play the race card on me. I don't see why a black American needs to be the default expert when it's so hard to hear your own accent without any bias.
You mean "refute." You "rebuke" Satan, not an argument.

You're the one who brought up your Black fiancee as if that made you an authority. Dating a Black person doesn't give you the breadth of experience in the African American community to match that of a person who has lived every single day of his/her life in that community. That would be like me dating an Italian girl and then proclaiming myself an authority on the culture.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Bro if he sounds southern, everyone in New York sounds southern too. How is this even a point of denial?

Old 04-03-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
You mean "refute." You "rebuke" Satan, not an argument.

You're the one who brought up your Black fiancee as if that made you an authority. Dating a Black person doesn't give you the breadth of experience in the African American community to match that of a person who has lived every single day of his/her life in that community. That would be like me dating an Italian girl and then proclaiming myself an authority on the culture.
Uhhh buddy you've got to let that complex go. I merely said that as a point that I am interested in black US communities.l I am not from US so forgive me for not being in tune to the heavily racialized environment where apparently non-blacks are unable to speak about blacks on any matter.

The fact is that I am a native English speaker without any bias. Blacks sound southern, it's insanity to suggest otherwise. I guarantee you if we bring a guy from Scotland and have him listen to black dude from Philadelphia or Baltimore it will be impossible for him to distinguish from New Orleans or Atlanta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7Teg7bVJw

^ from the marcy projects in NYC, he sounds totally southern and his attitude is 100% southern. Seriously dude, he sounds SOOO southern. There is no way in 1 million years I would think he sounds like a random white dude in Vermont. I mean are you for real?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.