Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 11:43 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Again, judging by migration patterns it doesn't seem many people "want to live" there nor or many coming back, at least in comparisons to the West and South.

Clearly winter is bad enough for plenty of people to leave and stay away.
Anyone who can't handle the winter up here is a sissy, really. It's not a big deal to shovel snow once every two weeks for a couple months. I could understand maybe for old people, though. Furthermore, most television broadcasts make reference to the eastern time zone (EST), regardless of where they're filmed or what time they are aired. Eastern Standard Time is dominant over Central, Mountain and Pacific time zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Anyone who can't handle the winter up here is a sissy, really. It's not a big deal to shovel snow once every two weeks for a couple months. I could understand maybe for old people, though.
Well you really seem to have trouble comprehending people do not see or feel the same way as you. Also realize many people probably "can" handle the winter but since they have a choice many choose not too.

Quote:
Furthermore, most television broadcasts make reference to the eastern time zone (EST), regardless of where they're filmed or what time they are aired. Eastern Standard Time is dominant over Central, Mountain and Pacific time zones.
Who cares and what on earth does this matter? I really have no clue what this has to do with anything.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Well you really seem to have trouble comprehending people do not see or feel the same way as you. Also realize many people probably "can" handle the winter but since they have a choice many choose not too.

Who cares and what on earth does this matter? I really have no clue what this has to do with anything.
Basically, the northeast is the "default" region of the U.S. And NYC is the capital of capitalism. The rest of the country is subordinate to the northeast and under development.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Basically, the northeast is the "default" region of the U.S. And NYC is the capital of capitalism. The rest of the country is subordinate to the northeast and under development.
Haha, wow. If telling yourself that makes you feel special and gets you through the day then have at it.

I'm not sure many people in the country give a crap about the Northeast except for about 23 sq mi of it that is Manhattan.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Haha, wow. If telling yourself that makes you feel special and gets you through the day then have at it.

I'm not sure many people in the country give a crap about the Northeast except for about 23 sq mi of it that is Manhattan.
I'm not sure how many people in the country give a crap about the West except for L.A.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Anyone who can't handle the winter up here is a sissy, really. It's not a big deal to shovel snow once every two weeks for a couple months. I could understand maybe for old people, though.
Lulz @ you calling anyone a sissy when you can't even handle living in CT. IIRC, even you complained about the cold in CT.

Quote:
Furthermore, most television broadcasts make reference to the eastern time zone (EST), regardless of where they're filmed or what time they are aired. Eastern Standard Time is dominant over Central, Mountain and Pacific time zones.
Wut? The only time I really see any reference to EST is when there's some live sport games on TV-- and a lot of times they were playing on East coast and its nationally broadcast. The most time zone reference I ever see here in the West coast is actually Central time. "10/ 9 Central time" Since I'm likely to hear "Central Time" on West Coast, should I assume that Central time is most dominant time zone even though they actually show it at 10pm here like they said they would?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how many people in the country give a crap about the West except for L.A.
Considering the growth rate and migration patterns in comparison , clearly a lot more than the Northeast

Old 03-06-2013, 12:56 PM

77 posts, read 154,168 times
Many of the people leaving the Northeast are retiring. And it is definitely easier to retire away from here if you are of modest means. Old people tend to like warm and cheap. So, off to Florida with them. Another big group of people leaving are those who can't or don't wish to compete here. So they are moving to lower wage, lower cost states. Good for them, it's nice to have choice. If you can afford to live here, and you value the benefits of living in the Northeast enough to counter the drawbacks, you'll stay...or in the case of younger, affluent, well educated folks from elsewhere, you'll move here. Same as anywhere, I suppose, but it is a bit more complicated here. I think it's worth it.

As for the earlier comments about brown and green and New Jersey and other back and forth stuff, here's an interesting link to a site about the NJ Pine Barrens. Could be an eye opener for those who just think of our lovely little state as the Turnpike! NJ Pine Barrens - General Information and Maps

Old 03-06-2013, 01:00 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Anyone who can't handle the winter up here is a sissy, really. It's not a big deal to shovel snow once every two weeks for a couple months. I could understand maybe for old people, though. Furthermore, most television broadcasts make reference to the eastern time zone (EST), regardless of where they're filmed or what time they are aired. Eastern Standard Time is dominant over Central, Mountain and Pacific time zones.
Wasn't one of the reasons on many of your threads wanting to relocate away from Connecticut because you wanted to get away from the Northeastern winters? Your inconsistent posts are amusing to say the least. And furthermore the whole broadcasting nonpoint you made is beyond arbitrary.

Quote:
Believe me, this is not on the radar of most people out West.

Quote:
Ever hear of Google? The Silicon Valley? Microsoft? San Francisco? I'm pretty sure most everywhere people don't give a crap about Northeastern superiority complexes, or rather your bizarre vendetta against anything that isn't the Northeast. Seriously you get worse with each post you make. Are you OK?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-06-2013 at 01:31 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 01:06 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Looking at growth trends and migration rates it doesn't look like many people at all are "fighting" to be part of the Northeast, quite the opposite actually. If it wasn't for immigrants and births the place would probably lose population and stagnate.
You've got people arguing on here that Cleveland is a part of the Northeast. That says it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.