Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,571 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at getting some opinions on what city would suit me the best. I currently reside in Grand Rapids, MI and cannot stand living here any longer. I'm 22 but I tend to make friends that are slightly older than me as I'm past that whole party/college/getting drunk phase.

I'm a musician, my goal is to be a working musician (but I'm not unrealistic I don't expect to make an actual living as one, but I do consider music to be my "career" even though I will have a day job)

The music I like is:
Folk, Rock, Blues, Jam Bands, Bluegrass, classic and outlaw country, jazz, and funk.

Some of my favorite musicians and bands/biggest influences:
The Grateful Dead, Townes Van Zandt, The Band, Bob Dylan, My Morning Jacket, Neil Young, CSNY, Taj Mahal, The Wood Brothers, peter Rowan, James Mcmurtry, The Allman Brothers, Little Feat, The Who, and Moe. to name the most prominent influences.

Music is definitely the biggest aspect of my life, but aside from that I'd have to say nature/my surrounding would be. I can't handle cold winters anymore. Snow for a few weeks is fine, but anything past that would not be favorable. I also don't like extreme heat, I'm most comfortable in temps between 40 and 90, and an ideal day for me would be sunny and between 70 and 80 high. I love Mountains, the ocean, and forests. I don't like plains too much or long plots of flat land.

As far as my personality and what kind of people I'd fit in with. I'm very easy going but I'm quite protective of my rights. If I had to be categorized in a political party I'd say libertarian, but that's not completely accurate. I strongly believe in personal freedoms, gun rights, legalization of certain substances, and lower taxes. Though I do have a slight liberal edge and support funding education and the environment ( I know I said low taxes which would technically contradict this statement but there are certain things which i feel are important enough that deserve my tax dollars and the environment and education are two of those things). I love live music (especially festivals), as I've stated, and I despise materialism and I tend to dislike the stereotypical "hipsters" (the ones who dress ridiculously for no reason, hate bands just because they got big, judge you constantly, etc.). I love breweries, good beer, and good food.

So that's me in a nutshell, thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 01:57 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Perhaps Lexington or Louisville KY could work.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,342 times
If you're looking for a bigger city I'd say New Orleans might be a good fit. Stay in the city though (Uptown, Magazine St., Marigny, Bywater, etc.) Don't go for outlying areas...

Old 04-05-2013, 03:09 PM

271 posts, read 458,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps Lexington or Louisville KY could work.
I'll add in Nashville.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:01 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Another vote for Nashville.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:06 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Nashville!!!.......lol lexington

Old 04-05-2013, 07:50 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
I'm looking at getting some opinions on what city would suit me the best. I currently reside in Grand Rapids, MI and cannot stand living here any longer. I'm 22 but I tend to make friends that are slightly older than me as I'm past that whole party/college/getting drunk phase.

I'm a musician, my goal is to be a working musician (but I'm not unrealistic I don't expect to make an actual living as one, but I do consider music to be my "career" even though I will have a day job)

The music I like is:
Folk, Rock, Blues, Jam Bands, Bluegrass, classic and outlaw country, jazz, and funk.

Some of my favorite musicians and bands/biggest influences:
The Grateful Dead, Townes Van Zandt, The Band, Bob Dylan, My Morning Jacket, Neil Young, CSNY, Taj Mahal, The Wood Brothers, peter Rowan, James Mcmurtry, The Allman Brothers, Little Feat, The Who, and Moe. to name the most prominent influences.

Music is definitely the biggest aspect of my life, but aside from that I'd have to say nature/my surrounding would be. I can't handle cold winters anymore. Snow for a few weeks is fine, but anything past that would not be favorable. I also don't like extreme heat, I'm most comfortable in temps between 40 and 90, and an ideal day for me would be sunny and between 70 and 80 high. I love Mountains, the ocean, and forests. I don't like plains too much or long plots of flat land.

As far as my personality and what kind of people I'd fit in with. I'm very easy going but I'm quite protective of my rights. If I had to be categorized in a political party I'd say libertarian, but that's not completely accurate. I strongly believe in personal freedoms, gun rights, legalization of certain substances, and lower taxes. Though I do have a slight liberal edge and support funding education and the environment ( I know I said low taxes which would technically contradict this statement but there are certain things which i feel are important enough that deserve my tax dollars and the environment and education are two of those things). I love live music (especially festivals), as I've stated, and I despise materialism and I tend to dislike the stereotypical "hipsters" (the ones who dress ridiculously for no reason, hate bands just because they got big, judge you constantly, etc.). I love breweries, good beer, and good food.

So that's me in a nutshell, thanks for your time.

Louisville. Very underrated music scene. Nashville is "overhyped" and over played. Great place for musicians, yes, but at the same time, also more difficult to break through.

Go to the home of My Morning Jacket, Louisville.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:51 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Athens, Georgia

Top 10 Cities With the Best Music Scenes Outside of Nashville NYC and LA - Athens, GA | Livability
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.