Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:17 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times

Advertisements

What's that bug here is a link to the child of the earth insect, the one I saw looked like the 1st and second pic.It was about 2-3inches big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
So if the south is known for some pretty sick bugs... how far north and/or west do you have to go to get away from it?
Duluth.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Duluth.
Yeah, where the mosquitoes are so thick in the summertime that you can practically hear the sky start to buzz as the sun sets. That's your signal to either head inside so they don't carry you off or bathe yourself in DEET so they can't smell you.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:27 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
We are having an infestation of fireants in our yard. We had a really dry Summer and when the rains came these hills of ants are all over our yard. Some people have stepped in these type ant hills and died from the multiple bites. They are vicious little creatures. This is something new to our area over the past few years. They were not around when my children were small. When they bite you it feels like fire.

They don't know it, but they are going to die; I have declared war on them. It may be from hot water or from a spray can, but they are going to be finished.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:08 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
What about the Pacific northwest-- do they have a mosquito problem?

Old 10-31-2007, 05:28 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
You may be thinking of the Black Widow, and the Brown Recluse. Both are dangerous, and require medical treatment if you get bitten.
Yep, we have those too. We also have the chiggers (in fields), ticks, skeeters, those great big ol' roaches you talked about, june bugs, japenese beetles, some huge beetle I have no idea the name but they have large jaws, etc etc etc

Old 10-31-2007, 05:31 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
We are having an infestation of fireants in our yard. We had a really dry Summer and when the rains came these hills of ants are all over our yard. Some people have stepped in these type ant hills and died from the multiple bites. They are vicious little creatures. This is something new to our area over the past few years. They were not around when my children were small. When they bite you it feels like fire.

They don't know it, but they are going to die; I have declared war on them. It may be from hot water or from a spray can, but they are going to be finished.

are they teeny-tiny and latch onto you when they bite? I had a couple do that in my front yard and they left a welp.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:31 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
If anything the most common bug was these peculiar, tiny ants that weren't attracted to food and SO easy to self exterminate. Haven't seen them in a year. I have never seen a roach either.
Are they little tiny black ants, that travel in a single-file line? If so, those are sugar ants.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
some huge beetle I have no idea the name but they have large jaws
Stag Beetle, maybe?

Old 10-31-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post

good luck! Fire Ants are the devil. Our local branch of the state university (USC-Sumter) just started an athletics program this year - the mascot? The Fire Ants.

But it really would require a tremendous neighborhood effort to eradicate fire ants. You might get them out of your yard, but they will just set up shop next door.

A good resource on the "war against fire ants" is Texas A&M's Texas Imported Fire Ant Research and Management Project
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.