Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:08 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,048,459 times

Advertisements

So what city has the best music for bands that are Folk/Blues/Rock/Jam Band maybe some Outlaw Country & Bluegrass too all in one? Bands ala The Band, The Grateful Dead, Little Feat, Moe., Phish, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, My Morning Jacket, Townes Van Zandt, The Wood Brothers, Jackie Green, Ray Lamontagne, Wilco, and Taj Mahal for your reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 PM

Anybody?

Old 04-19-2013, 12:52 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,566,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
So what city has the best music for bands that are Folk/Blues/Rock/Jam Band maybe some Outlaw Country & Bluegrass too all in one? Bands ala The Band, The Grateful Dead, Little Feat, Moe., Phish, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, My Morning Jacket, Townes Van Zandt, The Wood Brothers, Jackie Green, Ray Lamontagne, Wilco, and Taj Mahal for your reference.
I’m not saying it’s the best, but Los Angeles has a more rich folk/roots history than many might think, e.g. Dave Alvin, Tom Waits, I see Hawks in LA, The Knitters, Tom Russell, etc. Current venues would include Grand ol’ Echo at the Echoplex, Coffee Gallery Backstage and McCabe’s.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:54 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Nashville. It gets all the reps for Country music but the reality is that it's much broader than that and more of a concentration of singer/songwriters of many genres.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:20 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,610,448 times
Memphis, TN. I love driving through the Memphis area - it has the best local radio stations in the country - lots of the kind of music you're talking about. Then there's always Austin, TX. But try Memphis - it's less full of itself.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:38 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,179,691 times
Yeah, cool, I am a fan of this type of music, too. So am interesting in hearing some recs. Agree that Nashville would be an obvious 'suspect'....

We get a lot of this music here in my part Ohio from local bands and bands touring through (Cincy/Dayton/Columbus) but I don't think the scene here is really that big or mainly centered on this kind of music.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Memphis, TN. I love driving through the Memphis area - it has the best local radio stations in the country - lots of the kind of music you're talking about. Then there's always Austin, TX. But try Memphis - it's less full of itself.
I met a girl here through the Occupy movment who came here from Memphis and we got to talking about the Memphis scene, and she made it sound pretty good...live music everywhere.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Yeah, cool, I am a fan of this type of music, too. So am interesting in hearing some recs. Agree that Nashville would be an obvious 'suspect'....

We get a lot of this music here in my part Ohio from local bands and bands touring through (Cincy/Dayton/Columbus) but I don't think the scene here is really that big or mainly centered on this kind of music.
Right on, Have you heard the band "The Buffalo Killers"? They're awesome, they're out of cincy, they played at a record store for record store day in Dayton on Saturday.

I appreciate everyone's input, It seems my music tendencies may be more fitting towards the south, but I don't know if I'd really dig many other aspects of the south. My plans as of now are to move to Portland, OR. I know they're more indie oriented, but I also know they have a solid all around scene catering to all types of music. I'm hoping it works out and I find enough like minded people to form a band with, it is after all one of the live music capitals of the country (I'd say these are Austin, Nashville, LA, NYC, and Portland according to my research) and of those towns Portland is the smallest, which is good, because I'm coming from a smaller town and I don't want to be too overwhelmed.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 PM

^
Portland has some good stuff coming out up there in a sort of Americana genre...

....Blitzen Trapper for one. And I recently heard this band called Richmond Fontaine from PDX that has a great country-folk-rock sound.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
Anybody?
hello friend. I am late to this party but I am also excited by it's content.

I am a 20-something girl from austin tx, my grass is blue, my blues is bluer, and my jam is literally always jamming.... like, thank god for jam on radio on XM... ;-D

Austin might be the "live music capital" but I'll tell you, I feel very jaded when it comes to my musical indulgence in the south. (for jam culture, however we have great blues, and folk, but need more grassss) I pack up my car every summer and I kick things off In VERMONT at Frendly Gathering and begin getting my jamworthy fix. The North east, eastern states... and colorado for sure are saturated with the kind of music that we need and we need it LIVE.

Asheville NC is a great little city in the mountains just off the appalachians. you should look into that music scene. I think where you headed is a pretty good position as well, as i know washington and oregon are home to many many dead heads and banjo babies. I'm interested to hear about your musical and traveling experience since your posts. I am seeking to get out of texas myself in search of the greater outdoors, and the better music. But, as for now... Im seeing TAUK this thursday, Galactic next month, and RailRoad Earth to finish off the year....

where were you coming from initially?

[url=http://youtu.be/fPm_p5YZ4vU]Phish - Cities 08/06/10: Greek Theatre - Berkeley, CA - YouTube[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.