Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I retired from Texas to Philly. I find it a considerably easier (not harder) to live up here. Believe it or not, not everyone wants to live in that climate "y'all" have down there. And it wasn't just the incessant heat and humidity that drove me to a more hospitable locale. QOL took a quantum leap.
it just boils down to preference. it just seems that some here struggle that some people do not prefer cold/er climates. That's okay. It's okay to have preferences. you prefer to live up north, but folks shouldn't be belittled for preferring to live in southern/warmer climates. Some of you guys simply need to stop acting like people can't have preferences....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 11:35 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,118,446 times
when I lived in Seattle, the main things that made it "harder" was mainly the drizzly cooler messier weather. The implications around that, such as having to dress accordingly, more "messy" to run errands etc etc. Also I got annoyed with people wearing drab dark colors 3/4s of the year.

Also, in general, I find there is a difference with "Northern" personalities- be it Pacific NW, New England, Canadian, British, Scandinavian. More uptight and less smiley. So the people themselves are "harder" to know.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:57 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Yep - I'm a returnee. I made a good living in Texas and made the most of my time there, but once it became possible to live wherever we wanted, we headed back to the promised land.

Great post. People around here do not realize how much better the quality of life is compared to southern states. I've seen quite a few move back after a few years.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
it just boils down to preference. it just seems that some here struggle that some people do not prefer cold/er climates. That's okay. It's okay to have preferences. you prefer to live up north, but folks shouldn't be belittled for preferring to live in southern/warmer climates. Some of you guys simply need to stop acting like people can't have preferences....
Agree. And if you can find a place in my posts in this thread where I say it's not ok to have preferences or in which I belittle people who prefer warmer climates, please point that out. If not, then I politely request you not use my post(s) to make your point. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:49 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Ok ok, it may be a weather thing, but is there any reason at all that I'm missing why someone would particularly call Chicago a 'hard place to live'?

I've found the thread, which was 'Census is saying city population growth is ticking up this decade. I don't believe them.' Here's the line:

'Chicago is still Chicago. There is no reason to believe that the cities population free fall has come to an end. It is a difficult place to live in and that will continue to push people out.'

I don't know why, but calling a place 'a difficult place to live' without making reference to his own experience or preference just seems a bit odd if it really is only his opinion.

To clarify, I'm not down on Chicago, or hoping for there to be something terrible about the place, it's the exact opposite really. To me central Chicago looks really awesome, and I just can't see what would lead someone to say that that way. It's highly probable it's just the climate that's the issue for him, but it just seemed odd to me.
As a transplant living in Chicago...the only reason for the poster saying this is ignorance. There's some truth to it, but actually a large population of Chicago is living the exact opposite of a hard life. The whole crime thing is overstated and many people don't truly understand who's commiting it versus whom and where it's mainly centered in versus other areas.

COL is actually quite cheap when you compare it to NYC, DC, Boston, Los Angeles, San Fran, etc. As far as that goes too, places in say Houston are cheap BUT the tradeoff comes here in the fact that you don't necessarily have to own a car in Chicago to go about your daily life. So if you say you have a $500/month 1 bedroom in Dallas..let's say I can find you a 1 bedroom in Chicago in a decently good neighborhood for $850/month (yes it's possible) and I don't own a car. Pretend in Dallas I need a car (almost a given), and I have to pay $60/month in car insurance, $180/month in car payments, and $125/month in gas..well together that is $865/month. In Chicago, the unlimited CTA pass is now $100/month (but you can pay less if you use less) and total it is $950/month for this.

So really, you're actually paying paying less than $100/month less in Dallas when you figure the other costs into it in this situation. As far as food goes, well like any city..people have to eat. Unless you're living in downtown Chicago or Lincoln Park, you can find cheap groceries in quite a number of neighborhoods. When you factor everything into it and you live in a sensible neighborhood, living in a city like Chicago is not actually that much more expensive than people think.

Last edited by marothisu; 04-21-2013 at 08:58 AM..

Old 04-21-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Agree. And if you can find a place in my posts in this thread where I say it's not ok to have preferences or in which I belittle people who prefer warmer climates, please point that out. If not, then I politely request you not use my post(s) to make your point. Thanks.
Quote:
Believe it or not, not everyone wants to live in that climate "y'all" have down there.
Emphasis on "y'all".

This quote. There is a tone of belittlement here. This statement along with the overall mindset of the OP is basically you guys not understanding how or why people would think it's harder to live up north. You guys prefer the cold northern climates. Others prefer southern warm(er) climates. It's as simple as that.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Great post. People around here do not realize how much better the quality of life is compared to southern states. I've seen quite a few move back after a few years.
I disagree. To me, I think it's better in the southern states..... but that's just based on my preference, and experience..... I've run into many people that love living in the south...including those who moved from overseas....

Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
You guys prefer the cold northern climates. Others prefer southern warm(er) climates. It's as simple as that.
But let's not pretend that the only or main difference between the north and south is climate.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:21 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
This quote. There is a tone of belittlement here.
It seems to me you are looking for a reason to be offended by this thread. If this is all it takes, then indulge yourself.
Quote:
This statement along with the overall mindset of the OP is basically you guys not understanding how or why people would think it's harder to live up north. You guys prefer the cold northern climates. Others prefer southern warm(er) climates. It's as simple as that.
And again, I'm not sure which of "you guys" you are referring to. I am not part of some "vast northern conspiracy" supporting an OP (who hails from the UK, btw) with an overt anti-warm weather agenda . I am posting for myself. If you have issues with what others are posting, please take it up with them.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
I think it has more to do with cost of living and stiff job competition than the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.