Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
no its not.
Humid really is a relative term.
Ive been all over the country and the problem with the desert southwest is you have a massive 110 degree dry heat which is still bad and then you have the wild winters. especially in Utah and Denver.
Indianapolis is not that humid and saying its as humid as the south really is foolish.
So have I, and Indianapolis is considered humid. Compared to other cities? Here you go:
Relative Humidity Averages in US Cities - Current Results

Or the raw numbers from NOAA: Average Relative Humidity(%)

Indianapolis has a Daily Relative Humidity of 72. That is higher than Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte, Boston, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Louisville, Memphis, Minneapolis, Nashville, New York City, Philadelphia, Providence, Raleigh, Richmond, San Diego, St. Louis, Virginia Beach, Washington DC. It's tied with Milwaukee and Buffalo, and it's only 1% humidity behind Miami, Portland, Rochester, and Seattle.

Out of the 49 cities on this list, only 10 are more humid than Indianapolis on average. IN other words, Indianapolis is more humid or as humid as 80% of the cities on this list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
no its not.
Ive been all over the country
For some reason, I highly, highly doubt this.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:47 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
So have I, and Indianapolis is considered humid. Compared to other cities? Here you go:

Indianapolis has a Daily Relative Humidity of 72. That is higher than Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte, Boston, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Louisville, Memphis, Minneapolis, Nashville, New York City, Philadelphia, Providence, Raleigh, Richmond, San Diego, St. Louis, Virginia Beach, Washington DC. It's tied with Milwaukee and Buffalo, and it's only 1% humidity behind Miami, Portland, Rochester, and Seattle.

Out of the 49 cities on this list, only 10 are more humid than Indianapolis on average. IN other words, Indianapolis is more humid or as humid as 80% of the cities on this list.
Year round average humidity isn't the way to go.
Spring is a more humid time of the year due to the old saying: April Showers bring may flowers.
Compare the June/July/August and Even September months then get back to me.
Plus Humidity is bad with the heat and that's why the OP doesn't want some place where its hot and humid.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Year round average humidity isn't the way to go.
Spring is a more humid time of the year due to the old saying: April Showers bring may flowers.
Compare the June/July/August and Even September months then get back to me.
Plus Humidity is bad with the heat and that's why the OP doesn't want some place where its hot and humid.
April, May and June have the LOWEST humidity levels in Indy after January.

Climate Information for Indianapolis*-*Indiana*-*Midwest*-*United States*-*Climate Zone

Averages are in fact a perfectly fine way to go - which is why almost everyone uses them. Just because you want Indy to be the best in absolutely everything and that every person in the country should move there because it's one of the best choices in almost everything on earth doesn't change the fact that the OP is looking for a LOW humidity city, and Indy is a HIGH humidity city. You can't change that fact.

Last edited by JMT; 05-01-2013 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: I know it's tempting, but please discuss just the topic and not another poster.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:58 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:

Wow...I would have never thought that cities like San Diego, Seattle, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, and several others were more humid than Atlanta. You would think from comments on this site that Atlanta weather is some of the most humid in the U.S.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:07 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Wow...I would have never thought that cities like San Diego, Seattle, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, and several others were more humid than Atlanta. You would think from comments on this site that Atlanta weather is some of the most humid in the U.S.
Considering weather varies all the time and these are just *averages* I take them with a grain of salt.
What is more common to see weather wise is Atlanta being more hot and humid just than the rest of the cities listed.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:13 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The problem with looking at relative humidity as a percentage is that is says nothing about temperature, which is usually what makes it feel humid or not. 70% humidity at 75 degrees is far different than 70% humidity at 90 degrees. Dewpoints are a better way to look at humidity as it gives you an idea of how hot and humid it is and essentially how comfortable it is.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The problem with looking at relative humidity as a percentage is that is says nothing about temperature, which is usually what makes it feel humid or not. 70% humidity at 75 degrees is far different than 70% humidity at 90 degrees. Dewpoints are a better way to look at humidity as it gives you an idea of how hot and humid it is and essentially how comfortable it is.
But still...it's good information to have when someone rants about the humidity in Atlanta. I've always said that Atlanta's high elevation keeps the humidity lower than in some other southern cities, but there are people that just don't really believe it.

Obviously higher temperatures with the same humidity level are going to be less comfortable, but now when someone gets on their humidity high horse I will have a link for them.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Considering weather varies all the time and these are just *averages* I take them with a grain of salt.
What is more common to see weather wise is Atlanta being more hot and humid just than the rest of the cities listed.
Maybe more hot at certain times of the year, but no more humid (according to the posted link).

Old 05-01-2013, 03:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

I'm glad you posted this. In general, the 100th meridian is the dividing line between the humid part of the country to the east and the drier west. The 100th runs through Cozad, Nebraska, not Indianapolis. Even Omaha is humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.