Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 12:50 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadoll View Post
Misery loves company so Houstonians always talk about how they love it there hoping some cool people will get infected and move there.

The Hill Country is alright but Austin is no utopia like everyone says. My relatives who live there are working in California to pay their mortgages in Austin.
Actually, I find that most of the complainers about Houston are natives who have some idea that somewhere else is utopia; or people who move to Houston expecting it to be something else.

I also find lot of natives who left Houston for what they thought would be "better" end up saying later that Houston really wasn't that bad after all.

Many of the people who like Houston and find it underrated are not originally from Houston, and have experience living in other cities (like me). So it's not like we don't know what we're talking about or trying to "infect" people. If anything, I want fewer people to move here so it doesn't run into the problems Austin did.

But I do agree with you about Austin being overrated (after having lived there several years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 04:04 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadoll View Post
As a Native Houstonian lucky enough to escape I have to agree with the guy who posted Houston v. Hell which was my thought every day I lived there. In my opinion Texas is a persistent vegetative state.

The mentality is a sort of Stockholm Syndrome and people are deluding themselves to think it's a cool place to live. The often 100% humidity and mosquitoes the size of my car make it much more miserable than Vegas in summer.

I went on a business trip to San Francisco and they had to drag me back on the plane. All the people I was with talked about was how much better Houston is than San Francisco. Obviously, they were off their meds! This guy asked our friends from Frisco how they liked Houston and they equated it to Bakersfield! They all laughed and the idiot I was with (and therefore guilty by association) didn't even realize they were insulting his beloved adopted city. I think he was from Ohio or Michigan. I felt like I was visiting with the Clampetts sans the money.

Misery loves company so Houstonians always talk about how they love it there hoping some cool people will get infected and move there.

The Hill Country is alright but Austin is no utopia like everyone says. My relatives who live there are working in California to pay their mortgages in Austin.
What do you consider cool people? Paris Hilton

Old 11-12-2007, 08:55 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I don't know. The areas around Lake Travis in Austin have some pretty big hills. I know that you know that (being from Central Texas and all). I have been to D.C. three times, and its hills reminds me of Austin's. D.C. itself (from what I can remember) was mostly flat with a few large hills here and there.
DC Flat? I don't think so. SE DC and NW DC is anything but flat. The physical area of DC is not that big. In fact, it's probably smaller than the loop. But the area around DC to the city is much hillier than Austin.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:56 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,929 times
[quote=Chinadoll;1965983]As a Native Houstonian lucky enough to escape I have to agree with the guy who posted Houston v. Hell which was my thought every day I lived there. In my opinion Texas is a persistent vegetative state.
The mentality is a sort of Stockholm Syndrome and people are deluding themselves to think it's a cool place to live.

I went on a business trip to San Francisco and they had to drag me back on the plane. All the people I was with talked about was how much better Houston is than San Francisco. Obviously, they were off their meds! This guy asked our friends from Frisco how they liked Houston and they equated it to Bakersfield! They all laughed and the idiot I was with (and therefore guilty by association) didn't even realize they were insulting his beloved adopted city. I think he was from Ohio or Michigan. I felt like I was visiting with the Clampetts sans the money.

quote]

[SIZE=3]I have to give credit to the people who love Houston because at least they are being real and are aware of who they are. Unless you have already made it Big or have won the lottery then SF is for you. Most business owners are leaving SF by the droves, as they cannot afford to pay their employees enough to afford a house or make a decent living. No new affordable housing developments in or near SF are being built. Families with children are rare in SF.
SF is a dying city; it has become a boutique city, and it’s really geared for the wealthy. If one wants to be a servant and throw yourself on the road for 2 hours each way commuting and holding two jobs to pay your bills then SF is for you.
SF is scenic but one cannot feed oneself looking at the Golden Gate Bridge or by hanging out drinking coffee with people of alternative lifestyles. Houston easily affords me to live with one income and on top of that many like me can afford to buy cheap rental property and rent it out and make more money (life is good in Houston). By the way, I have been to most cities in Europe. If one wants to see great historic landmarks, Naples is the place to be.
[/SIZE]

Old 11-13-2007, 05:26 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
DC Flat? I don't think so. SE DC and NW DC is anything but flat. The physical area of DC is not that big. In fact, it's probably smaller than the loop. But the area around DC to the city is much hillier than Austin.
There were a few small hills where I was, but it felt like most of D.C. proper was flat. The bigger hills were south of the Potomac.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:11 AM

492 posts, read 1,149,929 times
I have to give credit to the people who love Houston because at least they are being real and are aware of who they are. Unless you have already made it Big or have won the lottery then SF is for you. Most business owners are leaving SF by the droves, as they cannot afford to pay their employees enough to afford a house or make a decent living. No new affordable housing developments in or near SF are being built. Families with children are rare in SF.
SF is a dying city; it has become a boutique city, and it’s really geared for the wealthy. If one wants to be a servant and throw yourself on the road for 2 hours each way commuting and holding two jobs to pay your bills then SF is for you.
SF is scenic but one cannot feed oneself looking at the Golden Gate Bridge or by hanging out drinking coffee with people of alternative lifestyles. Houston easily affords me to live with one income and on top of that many like me can afford to buy cheap rental property and rent it out and make more money (life is good in Houston). By the way, I have been to most cities in Europe. If one wants to see great historic landmarks, Naples is the place to be.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:33 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
I have to give credit to the people who love Houston because at least they are being real and are aware of who they are. Unless you have already made it Big or have won the lottery then SF is for you. Most business owners are leaving SF by the droves, as they cannot afford to pay their employees enough to afford a house or make a decent living. No new affordable housing developments in or near SF are being built. Families with children are rare in SF.
San Francisco is not hardly a dying city. Life for some including me is not about an affordable big house in the suburbs with a big yard and hopping on the freeway to go everywhere. I know couples with kids and singles who love life in San Francisco. Life is great in S.F., Golden Gate Bridge and all.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:06 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
San Francisco is not hardly a dying city. Life for some including me is not about an affordable big house in the suburbs with a big yard and hopping on the freeway to go everywhere. I know couples with kids and singles who love life in San Francisco. Life is great in S.F., Golden Gate Bridge and all.
Different strokes for different folks pwright1.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:45 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,002,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

No but it is going no where fast.

population by the decade

1860 56,802
1870 149,473
1880 233,959
1890 298,997
1900 342,782
1910 416,912
1920 506,676
1930 634,394
1940 634,536
1950 775,357
1960 740,316
1970 715,674
1980 678,974
1990 723,959
2000 776,733
2005 739,426

Old 11-15-2007, 11:07 PM

498 posts, read 1,520,201 times
Talking Hey HOUSTON!!

Hello Houston!! I LOVE HOUSTON. I lived there in Webster,Texas. Alot a lot traffic but didn't really bother me much. I just took it all in and made the best of it. My friend and I had the time of our lives there. I worked at the Hilton Hotel that sits right across from the I want to say the Space Center One. The one where the rocket is laid all out for tourists. I was the cocktail lounge hostess. It was awesome to be in the lounge. It had floor to tall ceiling, smoky gray glass as the wall that overlooks the Harbor. I made alot of shorttime friends. Vince was the head chef's name at that time. He was a riot. I believe Danny ?? was running it at the time. It was around the years 1983 and 1985 I think. Anyways, I got to go crabbin for my very first time. Right off the Kema and LaPort dock. Couldn't tell ya exactly. We started out fishing,but when they didn't bite right away, the guys went and got some (bolt) nuts and ropes , tied the nut to the ropes and went and bought a couple of chicken backs, poked them on there and we were in business!! It was starting to sprinkle, it was amazing......we caught 21 blue claw crabs that night. Yes they were delicious!!! We did throw back females and babies though. Dexter's and Tulie's still around? Wow, this is an awesome trip down memory lane. THANK YOU HOUSTON!! EAST AND WEST BEACHS ROCKS TOO!! Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.