Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:40 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,771,235 times

Advertisements

The stereotypical answer will be Atlanta and it would be a good choice.

It isnt the only choice. Since you want somewhere that is warm all the time, I would go to South Florida. Very vibrant gay scene and it never gets cold. California is great too (my home state), but its very expensive. If you dont have a problem with that, then look into LA. Its such a great city and its incredibly diverse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 10:30 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,810,170 times
Im AA female and I personally would pick the Phoenix area. - If you can stand the heat, it's actually a pretty decent place to live. Great weather, mild winters, palm trees, affordable cost of living. Yes the AA population is there is not as huge as DC or ATlanta, but it is steadily growing as more people are relocating there due to the plethora of opportunites that are becoming available. Don't sleep on Phoenix. It definitely on the come-up.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:34 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,474,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Im AA female and I personally would pick the Phoenix area. - If you can stand the heat, it's actually a pretty decent place to live. Great weather, mild winters, palm trees, affordable cost of living. Yes the AA population is there is not as huge as DC or ATlanta, but it is steadily growing as more people are relocating there due to the plethora of opportunites that are becoming available. Don't sleep on Phoenix. It definitely on the come-up.
Cosign, Phoenix. Cost of apartments out there is good too. One of my black cousins and his/my friend lived out there for many years. When I went down there they introduced me to one of their good friends (black) from Gary, Indiana. Lots of people from the Midwest in the Southwest now.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:36 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,046,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post

Within the "night life" of gay black males or other black males that have sex with males, it would seem the message is not reaching as many as it is among white gay males. Or at least that is what it partly seems like to me [shrug]. But maybe I'm wrong.

HIV/AIDS Rates of Black Gay Men in US Are Highest in Developed World : US/World : Medical Daily

Excerpts.
My educated guess would be the City of Atlanta is one of the hotbeds for HIV and the spread of HIV. I could be wrong though, but that is just a guess of mine.

Atlanta is no more of a "hotbed for HIV" than any other large city with a large gay population. I'm not sure where that is coming from, but it's false. I don't think that the problem is the message, but is more about the DL among black males.

I'm sure the OP appreciates your concerns, but all that really matters is that an individual practices safe sex. It doesn't matter how many people in city X have HIV or unsafe sex or that certain races are more prone to the spread of HIV. An individual has control over his/her actions, therefore has control over his/her health.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,474,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Atlanta is no more of a "hotbed for HIV" than any other large city with a large gay population. I'm not sure where that is coming from, but it's false.
It's just an educated guess of mine (I didn't say it was a fact), stemming from a course I took on STDs that covered HIV.

I don't think the large gay population factor is as significant a factor as you're making it out to be. But maybe I'm wrong. What I was taught was that certain states have higher HIV rates than others. And that in many of those states the HIV rate is driven by one or more cities in there respective states.

So, in Illinois, the City of Chicago is probably the primary driver of Illinois HIV rate.

Quote:
I don't think that the problem is the message, but is more about the DL among black males.
I'm not sure how much blame I want to put on or how much of the cause of HIV spread I want to attribute to DL (for whites it's called "being in the closet") men. My professor with a Ph.D. in clinical laboratory science that primarily taught my STD course, didn't put much blame on them at all even for its spread among black women. He seemed to suggest that's a message being spread by the media to appeal to our prejudices.

I'm not sure DL men having sex with gay men is the primary vehicle spreading HIV among gay men anyways.

Quote:
I'm sure the OP appreciates your concerns, but all that really matters is that an individual practices safe sex.
To a certain extent that may be true. To an extent. But some might argue that "save sex" as it applies to having multiple sexual partners, or "dating" and have sex with those you date, involves more than just using a latex condom.

Condoms break too. I know from personal experience as well.

Quote:
It doesn't matter how many people in city X have HIV or unsafe sex or that certain races are more prone to the spread of HIV. An individual has control over his/her actions, therefore has control over his/her health.
Now see... I would disagree.

If I'm male and dating and having sex with black males as my preference, and said group is a relatively small population within the population of a city, then it would be a concern of mine if 40% (or especially higher) of the black males in that specific population I'm dating and having sex in are HIV positive all the while still outwardly healthy and productive and successful in life.

One also has to be cognizant of the fact homosexual men tend to have a lot of sexual partners throughout their lives. During the height of the HIV epidemic in the U.S. some of them had 20 or 200 sexual partners. White gay males began drastically altering that level of sexual behavior when they learned that HIV was being spread through some of that.

Drugs and alcohol are also scientifically/statistically linked to the spread of STDs. So, if adults are going to be "adult enough to talk about safe sex" then they we probably should be adult enough to acknowledge what "a good night life" generally connotes to people. It usually is an indirect way of saying one wants to socialize with lots of people (usually strangers) while consuming alcohol (to alter their state of mind), maybe listen to music in the background, and potentially hooking up with one or more persons to have sex with.

But this is probably derailing the thread. I just view the HIV rate among black, gay, males as so high currently, that any black males engaging in dating and having sex with other black males needs to be cognizant of the current (maybe one day there won't be any threat--I doubt it though, due the Red Queen hypothesis and the rate at which bacteria and viruses can evolve) threats out their laying in wait for them if they slip up.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:33 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,354,132 times
1. Medicine
2. Warm year round
3. Diverse gay scene
4. Affordable

= Houston

Old 05-16-2013, 01:33 PM

14,037 posts, read 15,058,216 times
Philly may be a bit cold for your liking, but they have a huge Pharma sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.