Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 PM

119 posts, read 186,889 times

Advertisements

Indians go to areas where money can be made whether it is east coast, west coast, Canada, Africa, or the UK.

Most Indians in the US do not have a heavy history of immigration. Also, the east coast tends to support cliquishness and close knit ethnic communities while the west is more about integration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 09:38 PM

85 posts, read 160,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
As a state, California has the most Chinese. By metro area and city, NYC has the most.

California is not becoming more monocultural. LA and the Bay Area are undergoing the exact same trends that NYC and Chicago are undergoing: white and black leave while Hispanic and Asian (including Indian) are flooding in. Remember the numbers from the DHS showing immigration in 2012.

NYC: 10,550
Bay Area: 6,837
Chicago: 4,106
Washington DC: 3,446
Dallas: 2,606
Los Angeles: 2,538
Houston: 2,164
Philadelphia: 2,067

There is no denying it. The Bay Area is a very solid number two that Chicago would have a very hard time catching.
But unlike Chicago or NYC, California started out being pretty Hispanic to begin with so more Hispanics flooding in would only make it even more monocultural than it was before. I have a hard time that a large number of Indians would still choose to live there. Not to mention that California really is LA, and LA doesn't have that large of an Indian community. Not to mention that, if you even look at your list, after the Bay Area, there really aren't very many Indians heading to the East Coast. DC, Philly, Boston all have extremely large areas where Indians live.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:19 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
Well, California, specifically the Bay Area and LA, have a lot of Indians. San Diego also has a growing South Asian population.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:30 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
But unlike Chicago or NYC, California started out being pretty Hispanic to begin with so more Hispanics flooding in would only make it even more monocultural than it was before. I have a hard time that a large number of Indians would still choose to live there. Not to mention that California really is LA, and LA doesn't have that large of an Indian community. Not to mention that, if you even look at your list, after the Bay Area, there really aren't very many Indians heading to the East Coast. DC, Philly, Boston all have extremely large areas where Indians live.
Alright, this makes no sense and this last post is riddled with inaccuracies.

First off, California is extremely multicultural on a level that only NYC can match. LA is home to the largest Korean, Filipino, Mexican, Guatemalan, Salvadoran, Armenian, Perisan, Vietnamese, etc. in the US. Don't forget the Bay Area which is also increadably multicultural.

Did you really say California is LA??? Garbage.

Maybe you can't believe Indians are moving to California, but the numbers don't lie and the Bay Area is the solid number two ahead of Chicago. That's the way it is.

This las post makes it seems as though you have something against the West Coast and you're trying to make a statement.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:06 PM

119 posts, read 186,889 times
Since we are on the topic, guys, where is it more common to see Indian/South Asian men date interracial, the east coast or west coast?

Old 05-25-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Maybe you can't believe Indians are moving to California, but the numbers don't lie and the Bay Area is the solid number two ahead of Chicago. That's the way it is.

This las post makes it seems as though you have something against the West Coast and you're trying to make a statement.
People can live wherever they want. My question is simple: why are Indians more oriented to the East Coast than West Coast, compared to other Asian groups. If South Asians want to live in a Hispanic dominated area, that's fine with me. And if you don't think California is Hispanic dominated, I don't know what to tell you.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
I live in Silicon Valley, CA and I can't help but wonder if you've ever been here. I mean, the LA is California comment alone...

Anyway, as I actually live here and see Indians everywhere around me, I googled the subject and found this Wikipedia page that says that a full 30% of the engineers in Silicon Valley are Indians.

Indian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scroll down to "Statistics on Indians in the US."

And your comments about the culture here being monocultural because of the high hispanic population? Again, I think you've never been here. It's so diverse here.

I cut and pasted the below from the San Jose Mercury News article link below:

Santa Clara County has the largest population of Hindi speakers among all counties in the United States, the second-largest population of Vietnamese speakers, the third-largest population of Persian/Farsi speakers, and the fifth biggest number of Chinese speakers, a Mercury News analysis of 2005 census data shows. In percentage terms, the county ranks first in Vietnamese speakers, second in Hindi, third in Chinese and fourth in Persian/Farsi.

Other tongues overtaking English as language spoken in majority of Santa Clara County homes - San Jose Mercury News

Old 05-26-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I live in Silicon Valley, CA and I can't help but wonder if you've ever been here. I mean, the LA is California comment alone...

Anyway, as I actually live here and see Indians everywhere around me, I googled the subject and found this Wikipedia page that says that a full 30% of the engineers in Silicon Valley are Indians.
And Silicon Valley is nowhere near LA. The national image of California is completely dominated by Los Angeles, so if there really aren't very many Indians in LA, there aren't that many Indians in California. Unless LA isn't in California anymore.
Quote:
And your comments about the culture here being monocultural because of the high hispanic population? Again, I think you've never been here. It's so diverse here.
You can be diverse and still be dominated by Hispanics. Again, California is less than 40% White, which means that its a Hispanic dominated state. Please don't compare California's 'diversity' to true diversity in cities like New York, Chicago, Houston, Miami, etc.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:17 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
And Silicon Valley is nowhere near LA. The national image of California is completely dominated by Los Angeles, so if there really aren't very many Indians in LA, there aren't that many Indians in California. Unless LA isn't in California anymore. You can be diverse and still be dominated by Hispanics. Again, California is less than 40% White, which means that its a Hispanic dominated state. Please don't compare California's 'diversity' to true diversity in cities like New York, Chicago, Houston, Miami, etc.
When you stay stuff like this, you're letting people know you aren't to be taken seriously.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:27 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Quote:
When you stay stuff like this, you're letting people know you aren't to be taken seriously.
No kidding. You can't reason with unreasonable people - is all I can say to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.