Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 11:53 PM

494 posts, read 804,761 times

Advertisements

In more modern times the west is considered everything west of the plains states and thus west of ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, TX. Back when it included all of the Plains states as well.

Ofcourse some consider CO, WY, MT, NM, UT, ID Rocky mountain states and basically AZ, NV, CA, OR, WA The West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 11:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Correct the major climate change from the humid east to the dry west. Just west of Ft Worth.
Co-incidentally, that also seems to be where Dixie and the Midwest die out culturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
In more modern times the west is considered everything west of the plains states and thus west of ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, TX. Back when it included all of the Plains states as well.

Ofcourse some consider CO, WY, MT, NM, UT, ID Rocky mountain states and basically AZ, NV, CA, OR, WA The West.
The western third of the plains states and Texas are very much the West.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
The Trans-Pecos Region of Texas.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:20 AM

494 posts, read 804,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Co-incidentally, that also seems to be where Dixie and the Midwest die out culturally.

Depends on what it is? Via weather people and such see my explanation BUT with this i think yours matches better outside of se TX. Culturally yours is closer/more accurate. However i would exclude areas east of say I35 and or se Texas.

Texas is a hard one east of I-35.. While it is not Dixie ( I consider MS, AL, GA, SC, NC, FL, TN Dixie ) it does not have the traditional western feel to the area. Beaumont, TX is alot like S.LA as is a good part of the Houston area.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Houston does have a lot of cultural similarities to Louisiana more so than Texas.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:45 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

I agree with that picture....it's pretty much exactly the area I was talking about on the first page.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I think a lot comes down to how you define the Great Plains

Here's a wiki map of the Great Plains. The darkest green portion is tallgrass prairie, and unquestionably not part of the west. The lightest is shortgrass prairie, which most people would call western. The section in the middle is more questionable.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:24 AM

539 posts, read 1,924,157 times
I remember in grade school learning about some sort of climate line that separated arid climates from humid ones. Everything east was a humid climate, everything west of it was dry. The map someone showed earlier of the 100th meridian seems similar, but I don't remember it being a hard and fast line like 100 W longitude or whatever. What I seem to remember was a squiggly line. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think a lot comes down to how you define the Great Plains

Here's a wiki map of the Great Plains. The darkest green portion is tallgrass prairie, and unquestionably not part of the west. The lightest is shortgrass prairie, which most people would call western. The section in the middle is more questionable.
The middle section is definitely the gradient where the South and Midwest gradually transitions into the real West. I would say that section, at least in Oklahoma and Texas, identifies moreso with the South.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 AM

168 posts, read 251,431 times
The Mississippi river duhh. Everything East of it is back East, everything West is out West, lol. Actually in my personal opinion the West is purely states with an In N Out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.