Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 01:38 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, that's super important. (Must have changed a lot from when I lived there, but if so, yay on them!)
He doesn't live in Clemson. A few days ago he was talking up the weather in Denver on the Denver forum and said he showed a friend around Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 01:39 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Ok. So an Asian is cool with Harvard's admission policy which appears to discriminate against Asians but you are really concerned about Confederate flag supporters in the south.
I'm not concerned with either, to be honest. Am I pro-affirmative action or any sort of social engineering? No. I'm big on meritocracy and feel race should be removed as a criteria for admissions, but not my call, and I'm not sure it's proven that Harvard is prejudiced vs Asians as 22% of their incoming class was Asian.

Admission standards isn't always strictly grades and test scores. For example, George W Bush was not accepted into UT, but was into Harvard. This happens in public schools and I'm sure it happens more in private schools.

Are you doing the Spin and Sip Ride today?

Old 07-11-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm not concerned with either, to be honest. Am I pro-affirmative action or any sort of social engineering? No. I'm big on meritocracy and feel race should be removed as a criteria for admissions, but not my call, and I'm not sure it's proven that Harvard is prejudiced vs Asians as 22% of their incoming class was Asian.

Admission standards isn't always strictly grades and test scores. For example, George W Bush was not accepted into UT, but was into Harvard. This happens in public schools and I'm sure it happens more in private schools.

Are you doing the Spin and Sip Ride today?
This proves your accusations of racism are partisan in nature, in my view.

I don't live in Clemson. That was your assumption based on my screenname. I went to college at Clemson.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:41 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
This proves your accusations of racism are partisan in nature, in my view.
Who have I accused of being racist?

Old 07-11-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Who have I accused of being racist?
Just upthread you were talking about white racist Democrats switched to the GOP.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:51 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,553,512 times
Quote:
So GOP leaders and Democrat leaders, and their voters, got together and mutually agreed to switch?

Why don't I hear GOP politicians pushing for segregation if there was a big switch? Why did mostly white Republican voters elect a black man , Tim Scott , for senator in SC?

Why would the GOP decide to adopt a racist platform after popular support for segregation dwindled so much the Democratic party gave it up? That makes no sense.

The reason Democrats lose in south today has to do with their stance on issues that have nothing to do with race.
I don’t think you’re really interested in the answer because it hurts your narrative, but in case I’m being too cynical about your position, here’s a great history of how the Republican Party has evolved.

https://www.vox.com/2016/7/20/121487...-trump-lincoln

Old 07-11-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I don’t think you’re really interested in the answer because it hurts your narrative, but in case I’m being too cynical about your position, here’s a great history of how the Republican Party has evolved.

https://www.vox.com/2016/7/20/121487...-trump-lincoln
A 'great history' written by a partisan Democrat.

The reality is the facts contradict your narrative. For example, Tim Scott being elected by mostly white Republicans in SC. You guys seem to imply Tim Scott is a frontman for white racists. That makes no sense.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
A 'great history' written by a partisan Democrat.

The reality is the facts contradict your narrative. For example, Tim Scott being elected by mostly white Republicans in SC. You guys seem to imply Tim Scott is a frontman for white racists. That makes no sense.
Guess I’m not being too cynical.

Please don’t put words in my mouth. I haven’t said a thing about Tim Scott. Read the history. You might learn something.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:02 PM

This is how you know it is a partisan article: ' And indeed, Sen. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina switched his party affiliation from Democratic to Republican specifically for this reason.'

All the other segregationist Democrat senators did not switch to the GOP, including Robert Byrd and Al Gore's father who both filibustered the Civil RIghts Act of 1964. If the article doesn't mention that, it is intending to deceive the reader.

You don't appear to research the facts independently.

I understand you haven't mentioned TIm Scott. You also havn't explained why these white racists if they switched to GOP would vote for Tim Scott.

Strom Thurmond switched b/c of his views on foreign policy, not b/c the GOP adopted a racist platform.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
This is how you know it is a partisan article: ' And indeed, Sen. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina switched his party affiliation from Democratic to Republican specifically for this reason.'

All the other segregationist Democrat senators did not switch to the GOP, including Robert Byrd and Al Gore's father who both filibustered the Civil RIghts Act of 1964. If the article doesn't mention that, it is intending to deceive the reader.

You don't appear to research the facts independently.

I understand you haven't mentioned TIm Scott. You also havn't explained why these white racists if they switched to GOP would vote for Tim Scott.
Bro, Even the National Review says Thurmond switched parties because of the Civil Rights Act.

Who have I called a racist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.