Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
No it doesn't. To you maybe. But not to someone who pursues natural sciences/nature study for either a career or hobby.
Those are not the people responding to such threads in forums like this. Even to a person who knows science/nature, the resemblance I described is striking and unexpected and would surprise most people.

Foe example, I know birds pretty well, and dense forest is a terrible place to look for birds. They are seemingly absent, the forest is very quiet of birdsong, the species variety in any acre of forest is very low, even the tropics.

To a person getting off a tour bus, a forest is a very uniform and uneventful place, and all essentially indistinguishable to the untrained eye, except the difference between coniferous and deciduous. Few people would see any difference from one forest to another, without a tour guide pointing out unique features, and tour guides are often summer jobs done by people who have no knowledge except a few talking points, and are unable to answer even the most fundamental questions.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-06-2013 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
I am a fan of evergreens, so any forest rich in them is most beautiful to me: from Redwood Forest to the Washington Penninsula to the North Woods of MN/WI/MI to New England. I'd imagine Canada would have a major foothold in the argument as well.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:18 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Representing for the Southern Appalachians here. Due to the retreat of the ice age you get so many ecosystems all within a short distance.

Unfortunately it is slipping with the demise of the hemlocks :-( . But the Balsam Firs are coming back at the highest elevations and it smells like hiking through a christmas tree forest.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:22 PM

623 posts, read 958,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I don't know if I'd be "surprised". I lived in Eugene for several years, travelled a fair bit in Oregon, Washington and NorCal.

I didn't think it was the most beautiful, majestic, stunning place on earth. I thought it was lovely at times and in certain spots, but I never thought it was anywhere near as phenomenal as the natives and proselytizing transplants seemed to. There a kind of culture in Oregon (especially) and the PacNW in general of utter disbelief if an individual doesn't think Oregon is The Greatest Thing Ever!! I never understood that.
The most spectacular parts of this temperate rainforest aren't in California, Washington or Oregon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PDYDCamZ9g

Tongass: A Rare Glimpse Into America's Rainforest - YouTube

Shades of Green: Welcome to the Tongass National Forest - YouTube

Old 06-07-2013, 02:04 PM

173 posts, read 276,251 times
Any other contributions?

Old 06-07-2013, 02:10 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Representing for the Southern Appalachians here. Due to the retreat of the ice age you get so many ecosystems all within a short distance.

Unfortunately it is slipping with the demise of the hemlocks :-( . But the Balsam Firs are coming back at the highest elevations and it smells like hiking through a christmas tree forest.
The Smokies alone have greater tree diversity than the entire continent of Europe.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:54 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circa81 View Post
Any other contributions?
Adirondacks forest, New York.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:18 PM

50 posts, read 101,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Northern Appalachia, Northern Cali and the Northwoods.

The PacNW has pretty trees for postcards, but on the ground it is a dank, dreary, mucky, mouldy wet mess most of the time.

Second vote here for the Northern Appalachia. Thick hardwood forests with a ton of green underbrush. Nothing beats the NE in the Fall. You won't find those vibrant colors any where else in the country.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 PM

651 posts, read 862,718 times
I don't think there is a best per se. So many different things to look at that make it unique that I can't choose a best. I like the mountains where there are pine trees and creeks of melting snow coming down them in colorado. Minnesota has tons of trees by sheer volume up north. Minneapolis as a city has trees everywhere. They have roads with trees lined down each side of them all over the place.

California has sheer size and beauty of the giant sequias and redwood trees. All uniqe and great in their own ways and all have totally different feelings when in them.

Coolness factor goes to redwoods. Color factor to MN, ruggedness colorado, and probably other states I have never been to are also great.

Wallpapers Unlimited: Redwood National Park, California

Keep in mind this is in town minnesota.
http://twincitiesrealestatebuzz.com/...mit-Avenue.jpg

up north Minnesota
915655hx.jpg | Russ Bishop Photography
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.