Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 07:09 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,905 times

Advertisements

MidniteBreeze Just as I thought....another pissing contest. <sigh>

Instead of bickering about who's "the best" (which, as proven here, is largely subjective), shouldn't we all be thankful that not only do we live in a big, beautiful country blessed with diverse landscapes and abundant natural resources (and yes, this includes the hated American FARM which provides us with all that high quality, affordable food that MANY countries would KILL for), but that we also have the freedom to visit and even relocate to these places if we so choose?

I have lived in, visited and enjoyed many places outside of the Midwest, but I chose to return to northern Minnesota. I like lakes, I like forests and I like living in a small, laid back, low crime community. I like ice fishing and I can't imagine Christmas without snow. Good for me. You might like the excitement of the big city or the stark beauty of the desert or the fact that you never have to wear a jacket in south Florida. Good for you.

So instead of trashing each other's regions, can't we just appreciate these differences? How boring would it be if we ALL lived in the city or the desert or the woods? I'm all for educating each other about misconceptions people might have about our home areas (and there are some BEAUTIFUL pictures in this thread!) but seriously, can we grow up and act like adults now? Please?

Well said, but it will never happen.
With some folk it's about bagging on others to feel better about themselves.
( guilty here on some occasions )
Trolls are basically insecure and defensive.
They need to trash to validate their existence.
Whatever happened to the class acts like Mike and MoMark.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I took notice of your Oklahoma pictures. First of all, the Ozarks don't make Oklahoma the most varied state in this country. Maybe the most varied state in the middle of the United States, but not the country. Second of all, very few people consider Oklahoma a Midwestern state. It's either a Plains state, Southwestern, or even Southern by some people.

Look at Arizona:

Northern Arizona University:

Near the Grand Canyon:

Near Flagstaff:

Valley of the Sun: (lettuce)

Southwestern Arizona: (bet you didn't know that much of Sunkist's citrus comes from Southwestern Arizona)

Horsethief Lake: (Doesn't look like a desert? Does it?)
http://www.rversonline.org/TempImages/NoName.jpg (broken link)

Monument Valley: (I guess it does rain it the desert occasionally, doesn't it?)
http://www.astronomynotes.com/nature/shoffner/MonumentValley3.jpg (broken link)

Mount Wrightson: (50 miles south of Tucson)

Gila River: (Guess Arizona does have rivers with water?)

Oak Creek Canyon:

I could keep going, but I've already proved your assumptions about Arizona wrong.
Thanks for the reply, but I dont understand what youre getting at. Lets see, of those AZ pics, Ive already touched base on all of them. High desert, low desert, with some tree shots in the mix. Your point is?

And crops? What does lettuce and citrus groves have to do with anything? If you want to compare crops, the midwest is FAR superior.

And the "river" shot? Looks like the Gila River after a good rain. Ive crossed it before and it was dirt in places. And Oak Creek Canyon does flow year round, but its only inches deep in most spots (I know, Ive hiked down into Oak Creek) and the water is too terribly cold to even enjoy.

Oklahoma is way more diverse than AZ. And those shots I posted werent even of Oklahoma.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:55 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Anyone else? Anyone?
TravelOK.com:* The All-Terrain Vacation

Really, Oklahoma has 10 (!!!) ecoregions. You need to see it to believe it. I suggest people take a visit before they try and argue.
WTF? I just went on that website and am laughing my ass off. "Rocky Mountain Foothills"? Bull ****! Even the westernmost tip of the Oklahoma Panhandle is nowhere near the Rocky Mountains. That's an outright lie. I find it funny how at least 7 of those so-called "regions" are just variations of different kinds of plains. It's like wow... we got Type A plains... and Type B plains. Whoop di doo! Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!!! If you think Oklahoma has it all, why do you waste your time going to Arizona?

Old 11-08-2007, 08:19 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
A more interesting question would be: "What is the midwest doing to better itself and become a more cosmopolitan area?"

Old 11-08-2007, 09:55 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
A more interesting question would be: "What is the midwest doing to better itself and become a more cosmopolitan area?"
Of course this presumes that the Midwest is not cosmopolitan, and needs to "better" itself.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:43 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
People don't really "hate" the Midwest, I think people just often overlook it. I've always been fascinated by the Midwest and I always associate it with the perfect all-American town with the white picket fences, Main Street, etc. I don't think of the Midwest when I think decayed cities. For me decayed cities makes me think of the Northeast, places like Baltimore, Philly, Buffalo, etc.

The only people I have witnessed who actually "hate" the Midwest are liberal Democrats from the coasts who blame the heartland for voting Bush into office the second time. For myself though the Midwest always had the image of the "real America" a LOT more so than New York or LA.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:47 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
I live in the midwest and hate the mythical notion of one 'real america', it is like the tooth fairy, not real, so move on.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:52 PM

217 posts, read 879,167 times
I never thought that people hated the midwest. If anything, it's the least stereotyped place in the country. Movies or tv shows set in the midwest usually depict the midwest as an all-american, apple and pie, type place. Sure it's known for it's agriculture, but rarely are rural midwesterners depicted as stupid hicks or in a negative way. Also the they are depicted as having no accents. But I think Roseanne is one of the few shows that depicted blue-collar Midwestern life in a realistic way.

Northeasterners and southerners are hated the most and if anything when the media depicts those regions, it's usually the less favorable stereotypes (New York Mafia, brash northeasterners, southern racists, inbreds.)

Old 11-09-2007, 08:37 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
WTF? I just went on that website and am laughing my ass off. "Rocky Mountain Foothills"? Bull ****! Even the westernmost tip of the Oklahoma Panhandle is nowhere near the Rocky Mountains. That's an outright lie. I find it funny how at least 7 of those so-called "regions" are just variations of different kinds of plains. It's like wow... we got Type A plains... and Type B plains. Whoop di doo! Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!!! If you think Oklahoma has it all, why do you waste your time going to Arizona?
I questioned the "Rocky Mountain foothills" thing too, but there are definitely big hills/mountains over there! Maybe they are technically foothills, but I dont know for sure as I have no idea about ecological classification. Anyways, I go to AZ to visit family and friends and spend alot of time hiking and herping. But those who think AZ is more diverse than Oklahoma or the midwest are kidding themselves.

Here is what you can find in Oklahoma...pretty amazing.

High plains:

Southwestern tablelands:
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/a/aa/400px-Gloss_Mountains.jpg (broken link)

Central great plains:

Tallgrass prairie:

Cross timbers:
http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/4159/about/Scientists/dbragg/big%20trees/FortChaffee%20x%20timbers%2002%20low%20res.JPG (broken link)

Caves, etc:

Ozark highlands:

Ozark forest:

Hardwood forest:

Ouachita Mountains:

Cypress swamps and forest:

Oklahoma also has areas with mesas:

And Mt. Scott is cool too:
http://www.emporia.edu/socanth/images/BradAndersonMelissaBruceAnthonyWestbyandJesseColso ntakeintheviewsfromatopMt_001.jpg (broken link)

Now, you were saying?

Old 11-09-2007, 08:49 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

What is your definition of "cosmopolitan"?
If you mean bigger cities...I would no longer want to return to live there.
As it is, I grew up in Illinios and can count on one hand how many times I've been to Chicago.
No disrespect to Chicago or any big city...I don't want to live there, I have no interest in living there. I prefer the small towns.

When people start understanding that there are some that prefer small towns and some prefer cities maybe the pissing contests will stop.

Not one group is wrong and not one group is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.