Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:43 AM

68 posts, read 86,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Urbanized Area, but it isn't perfect either. L.A.'s true size is closer to 15 million. MSA and UA undersell its size, CSA oversells it.

The Bay Area ring, which is really one urban area, is around 5 million people. No measurement (UA, MSA, CSA) is 100% accurate for that city, to point where it doesn't crack the top 10 among largest MSAs, which is silly.

Looking at the numbers, DC and Dallas receive the largest bump from UA to MSA. Miami gets almost no bump.
San Francisco CSA is actually over 8 million, see Wikipedia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Though to look at density I think weighted density is probably a better measure. This excludes non inhabited areas like parks, airports, mountians etc.

The 50 densest American metropolitan areas, by weighted density - Austin Contrarian

I think there is one calculated for UA as well

UA to me is probably the best barometer for size as it measures a form of continuity excluding exurban areas or detached areas.

None are pefect but UA is probably the best size metric
I agree. Standard density does make Philadelphia seem lower than it actually is.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Though to look at density I think weighted density is probably a better measure. This excludes non inhabited areas like parks, airports, mountians etc.

The 50 densest American metropolitan areas, by weighted density - Austin Contrarian

I think there is one calculated for UA as well

UA to me is probably the best barometer for size as it measures a form of continuity excluding exurban areas or detached areas.

None are pefect but UA is probably the best size metric
Atlanta didnt make the top 50? Wow.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastBestCoast2 View Post
San Francisco CSA is actually over 8 million, see Wikipedia.
The number the poster quoted wasn't for the CSA.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
This is some additional info

Note the differences in density between NYC and LA radiating from the core - NYC (not surprisingly is far more compact out to about 15 miles from their centers (for this is city hall)

America's Truly Densest Metros - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
MSA.

CSA is too large and outside of a few cases like Raleigh/Durham I cringe when people use it. Urbanized area is good for determining how big a city feels but not as accurate in determining the economic importance of a metro area. People living in exurban areas, usually not counted in urbanized areas, contribute to the economy of a MSA as well.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:27 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
MSA.

CSA is too large and outside of a few cases like Raleigh/Durham I cringe when people use it.
It's very appropriate for certain cities like Philadelphia and San Francisco but for others not so much.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:48 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Quote:
Here is the UA weighted density calculations

ranked from most dense to least dense:

Density calculations for U.S. urbanized areas, weighted by census tract - Austin Contrarian

And yes Atlanata is notably low on both standard and weighted density
This Data is so old i can't take it seriously. All these cities urban populations have increased significantly ly in the past 15 years. But with that I may have been wrong on my stats. But my point was if the the Urban area is Seattle is High density while the Metro or CSA it drops off significantly.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:59 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
This Data is so old i can't take it seriously. All these cities urban populations have increased significantly ly in the past 15 years. But with that I may have been wrong on my stats. But my point was if the the Urban area is Seattle is High density while the Metro or CSA it drops off significantly.

This is 2010 data

Old 07-11-2013, 12:16 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
I don't think there is any one single measure that is good for determining/ranking city 'size'. Aside from official population metrics, things like media market, GDP, size of transportation hub, services & amenities, etc are also important.

I feel like population density, whether it be from urban area, metro area, city, county, or whatnot, can be misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.