Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 03:23 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,426 times

Advertisements

Because that's how I'm feeling right now. I realize it's way more important than just "hot" or "cold", the humidity in MD is a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 04:15 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
I moved from Florida to CA back in February. Loving the no humidity.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:21 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
When I lived in the Midwest I heard all about how the west is so much better because it's a dry heat. Humidity is miserable. So is the dry heat. I'm in Montana and I think it's too hot outside tonight. The thing to remember about the parched west is there literally is no water. It costs a fortune to water your lawn. I got a $347 bill for watering less than half an acre last July. It also makes your skin super dry.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:33 PM

542 posts, read 1,682,998 times
I can certainly sympathize with you. It's more or less a "pick your poison" scenario. Everywhere east of the Rocky Mts. is humid in the summer any areas farther west where it's not humid are very dry (not lush and green).

Unfortunately as global warming progresses it's just going to get more hot and humid.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Over forty years ago I moved from east Texas to west Texas. Although I have now lived in numerous places, it is the humidity of eastern Texas that kept me from ever going back there.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:38 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,035 times
Move to Miami for a summer, then move back. You will be so disgusted by the humidity in South Florida that it will be refreshing when you get back to MD. Just like reverse air conditioning. Sit in your house at 120 degrees, and suddenly 95 outside doesn't seem so bad.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:21 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
Move to Miami for a summer, then move back. You will be so disgusted by the humidity in South Florida that it will be refreshing when you get back to MD. Just like reverse air conditioning. Sit in your house at 120 degrees, and suddenly 95 outside doesn't seem so bad.
When we were kids we'd get too used to the air conditioning so we'd go outside to get "hot" again. When we went back in it felt cool.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:00 PM

494 posts, read 1,609,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post

I took a trip to Mimai a while back, I used to think we had terrible humidity, but not until I got there. Miami did something that I didn't think was possible. Appreciate South Louisiana humidity .

As far as the topic, I've known a few who have done so. But would I personally do it? No. It would be on my mind sure, but it wouldn't be the main reason why I'd ever consider a move. I've gotten pretty used to the humidity here so it doesn't bother me a whole lot as it can others.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:00 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
There is a green place in the west with humidity that doesn't make one sweat. It is Seattle. In fact, Seattle has some of the highest humidity in the country, but it usually only occurs during cool months. (possible rare exceptions)...Seattle may experience a day or two of high humidity during the warm months, but it rarely lasts.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:30 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,774,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
When I lived in the Midwest I heard all about how the west is so much better because it's a dry heat. Humidity is miserable. So is the dry heat. I'm in Montana and I think it's too hot outside tonight. The thing to remember about the parched west is there literally is no water. It costs a fortune to water your lawn. I got a $347 bill for watering less than half an acre last July. It also makes your skin super dry.
I agree. Dry heat is overrated and when you're out in the sun, the fact it's not humid is no relief.

The best thing about dry heat is that it typically cools down at night faster, but if it reaches 105F that day it's not going to cool down at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.