Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Public transit is awesome if you're young and single, but call me possessive for saying that I don't want my attractive girlfriend, fiancee or wife walking around and using public transit for fear of her safety or simply because I don't want guys hitting on her to become a daily event as she goes to and from work.
Wow! Do you chain her up at night and on weekends too? This is the creepiest post I have read. That's not possessive, that's sick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 01:47 PM

Default It's Got To Be The Goin' Not The Gettin' There That's Good

Not the train but it could apply. This thread reminded me of this song.

Harry Chapin - Greyhound - YouTube

Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Public transit is awesome if you're young and single, but call me possessive for saying that I don't want my attractive girlfriend, fiancee or wife walking around and using public transit for fear of her safety or simply because I don't want guys hitting on her to become a daily event as she goes to and from work.
whew...you must be tired, does your attractive girlfriend know about your fiance and wife or are they imaginary too?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:52 PM

84 posts, read 89,784 times
Does the variety or quality of songs about travelling indicate which is the superior mode?
I can think of just a few good recordings about taking the train, mostly at night

Night Train - Jimmy Forrest (1952) - YouTube

NIGHT TRAIN (original 1952 blues Hit) - YouTube

James Brown - Night Train - Soul Mod Dancer classic.wmv - YouTube

SUN 192 Little junior parker Mystery train (November 1953) - YouTube
Is not the last the best?. Anyway, there are far more records about cars

Old 07-23-2013, 03:42 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
I suspect how people answer this is divided by generational gaps. Older people are simply going to be more likely to favor cars.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I suspect how people answer this is divided by generational gaps. Older people are simply going to be more likely to favor cars.
Just to prove that ain't necessarily so. I am 67 and I have been pushing train travel. All of my friends from ages 50 on up prefer train travel to car travel or air travel and take trains whenever they can. So I wonder why you think the opposite.

I think it is more the younger generation who are married to their cars. My generation grew up taking public transportation with many of us who lived in large cities having parents who did not own cars. Taking plane trips was expensive and a novelty. Trains were the choice for long trips. Oh and when I was a youngster in the city, my friends and I rode our bikes everywhere but didn't make a big deal out of it as people do today.

I do see the newest of the younger generation saying they favor cars and bikes but they still love their cars. Look at all the TV ads for cars. Do you see them aimed at us old folks? Nope, they are just about all young people being shown as customers. Obviously, those are the majority of those who are buying them.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Just to prove that ain't necessarily so. I am 67 and I have been pushing train travel. All of my friends from ages 50 on up prefer train travel to car travel or air travel and take trains whenever they can. So I wonder why you think the opposite.

I think it is more the younger generation who are married to their cars. My generation grew up taking public transportation with many of us who lived in large cities having parents who did not own cars. Taking plane trips was expensive and a novelty. Trains were the choice for long trips. Oh and when I was a youngster in the city, my friends and I rode our bikes everywhere but didn't make a big deal out of it as people do today.

I do see the newest of the younger generation saying they favor cars and bikes but they still love their cars. Look at all the TV ads for cars. Do you see them aimed at us old folks? Nope, they are just about all young people being shown as customers. Obviously, those are the majority of those who are buying them.
Advertising tends to be aimed at young people. It's assumed they're the ones most likely to spend frivolously due to the tv.

I have a car living in the DC suburbs, but I don't like driving it much. There are places where it's more convenient, so it's nice to have, but I take the train whenever possible. But when I give people rides (which I'm stuck doing all the time), they always comment how they miss their car. This is especially true of those from Southern California.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:26 AM

84 posts, read 89,784 times
I think you have it there. I've no doubt that if the U S A or a similar nation had to choose between the car and train: and to lose one in the process. it would go for the car. Meanwhile, I notice there has recently been a worrying increase in train accidents in North America: and that nags me that the width of the Standard Gauge (which used to be called the Narrow Gauge) may not be enough to hold a fast-cornering train https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_gauge

Old 07-27-2013, 04:35 PM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoCosmo View Post
I daresay that the car is a better way for travelling across, say, America than the train. For instance, it's the more affordable, comfortable, extensive and flexible. And on such a journey, it would have to deal with all sorts of local conditions: but the car is rather good at that
I agree. But if in the future a high speed train is built across the USA then I would rethink my position on this.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:17 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

There are always exceptions.

And there is actually a lot of data right now suggesting that car buyers are overwhelmingly older. Car ownership is actually down and has been going down since around 2004-2005. Guess who isn't driving as much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.