Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:41 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
Exactly. Any state with something that distinctively makes it different than the rest of the U.S. should be disqualified. So no offense, but it would have to be a bland state. I'm thinking Kansas, Indiana, Nebraska, or Ohio.
Ah so it's a childish thread where we disrespect the Midwest. I see.
Nothing better to do I guess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:48 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Ah so it's a childish thread where we disrespect the Midwest. I see.
Nothing better to do I guess?
Lol no. But I can tell you that almost everyone will agree that:

1. It isn't Texas
2. It isn't California
3. It isn't the PNW
4. It isn't the West
5. It isn't the South
6. It isn't Florida
7. It isn't New York
8. It isn't Bos-Wash
9. It isn't New England
10. It isn't Michigan
11. It isn't Minnesota
12. It isn't Illinois
13. It isn't the Dakotas

Which leaves Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, and Ohio. Not because they're completely bland, but because those other states have identifiable qualities that make them stick out.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:50 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
Lol no. But I can tell you that almost everyone will agree that:

1. It isn't Texas
2. It isn't California
3. It isn't the PNW
4. It isn't the West
5. It isn't the South
6. It isn't Florida
7. It isn't New York
8. It isn't Bos-Wash
9. It isn't New England
10. It isn't Michigan
11. It isn't Minnesota
12. It isn't Illinois
13. It isn't the Dakotas

Which leaves Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, and Ohio. Not because they're completely bland, but because those other states have identifiable qualities that make them stick out.
Lol you listed pretty much over half the nation.
And if youd travel more you'd know every state has qualities that male them stand out.
Kind of hilarious someone would find Iowa similar to Ohio.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:12 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol you listed pretty much over half the nation.
And if youd travel more you'd know every state has qualities that male them stand out.
Kind of hilarious someone would find Iowa similar to Ohio.
Alright. I've travelled a lot, so don't give me that. And I never said Ohio and Iowa are the same. What I'm trying to say (without saying anyone is boring) is that when I think of "Anytown USA", the first thing that comes my mind is farms. Wheat. Corn. Picnics. Thanksgiving. Smaller towns. Heartland. Center of the U.S. Nice homely people.

So that pretty much describes Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, and Missouri. I threw Ohio in there because to me it just seems like it would fit that vibe too. Indiana can jump in as well.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:16 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
My first thought was Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Nice place, lovely locals, good Czech food, but very America.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,968,633 times
Quote:
Alright. I've travelled a lot, so don't give me that. And I never said Ohio and Iowa are the same. What I'm trying to say (without saying anyone is boring) is that when I think of "Anytown USA", the first thing that comes my mind is farms. Wheat. Corn. Picnics. Thanksgiving. Smaller towns. Heartland. Center of the U.S. Nice homely people.

So that pretty much describes Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, and Missouri. I threw Ohio in there because to me it just seems like it would fit that vibe too. Indiana can jump in as well.
Exactly. The reason I chose Ohio is because it is a pretty neutral microcosm of the U.S. imo. It has small towns, suburbs, and medium sized cities, but they don't stick out as much as places in other states. It's a football state, which is America's number one sport, however it still is more neutral in it's culture compared to the rest of America than the other football states in the south are.

I don't call it Anytown America to disrespect it. I actually think it's charming that it's so stereotypically, generically American in a time where there really isn't hardly any "generic America" anymore.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 PM

297 posts, read 472,634 times
Conneticut
De end

Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,588 times
A lot of places could in some ways qualify, but there is one town that jumps out at me- a small town in eastern Nebraska named Seward. It has only about 3,000 people, it is about 20 miles west/Northwest of the much bigger Lincoln, Nebraska. My wife and I lived in Lincoln at the time and went to Seward on the 4th of July in 2009 because we'd heard about it being known as America's "4th of July city". And we were surprised- that town defines Americana in every single way- it was the post card of Americana, it could have come right out of any made for TV movie or John Cougar Mellencamp video. Neighborhoods of nice craftsman homes, everyone had pretty big yards that were well manicured, they had their American flags flying, most yards had people sitting outside barbecuing and shooting fireworks (and I don't mean some on every street, but a large majorty on every street) the small downtown area still had a town square with a gazebo just like you'd expect from the old times where they had morning pancake feeds and a small town parade that included tractors.. yes tractors. It's hard to put it into words, but my wife who is originally from China said "This is the stereotypical America that we always think of when we talk about the US!"

And don't get me wrong, I've been to many places on the 4th of July and they all have some of these elements, but none came close to the atmosphere you could feel in Seward- it just looked and felt like the definition of Americana. I have never really felt this way anywhere else.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:23 AM

437 posts, read 547,774 times
texas...has every kind of diversity you can find but also has that "real american" culture too

Old 07-27-2013, 08:59 AM

383 posts, read 512,338 times
Ohio.. small towns, large cities, Amish, beaches, hills, caves, four distinct seasons, tornado's, small earth quakes, hurricane left overs, blizzards.
Climate wise California represents the US best, but Ohio has a clash of the East, Midwest and South all on touching it borders to go with it's ever changing weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.