Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:56 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

Oregon is completely dominated by Portland. New York is unbelievably controlled by NYC. Pretty much all rules made there are geared towards NYC. MN is controlled by the St. Paul/Minneapolis area. Georgia is controlled by Altanta. CO by Denver.

Balanced ones constantly have rivalries between cities which isn't exactly the best thing, but for example, people from the Bay Area in CA always come to the LA and SD forums talking crap about us. The whole area from Point Conception to the Mexican border is pretty much completely interconnected and we all love each other. Those NorCalers area a different story though. They hate LA the most so we hate them more than any other city.

Florida is quite balanced with Miami, Jax, and the Tampa/St. Pete area. Texas is extremely balanced with Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio. Missouri does pretty well with KC and St Louis. Washington does okay with Spokane ruling the east, Seattle being the major city, and Olympia being the capital. Ohio is balanced with Cincinnatti, Columbus, and Cleveland. Pennsylvania has Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. OK has OKC and Tulsa. AZ has Tuscon and Phoenix. NJ has no cities, it's just one large extension of two metro areas (the Philly and NYC metros) (I know I'm gonna get yelled at for that one). North Carolina has several good sized cities.

Definitely the most unbalanced would be Illinois though. Illinois has almost 13 million but the Chicago metro has over 9 million. Well I guess NY falls in that category also. NY state has almost 19 million but the NYC metro has over 18 million.

CA is split pretty evenly, but LA has 54.5%, SD has 14%, SF has 22%, Sacramento has 6%, the rest is in the state.

TX-Houston has 27%, Dallas has 29%, San Antonio has 9%, Austin has 7%, the rest goes to the state.

FL- Miami has 29%, Jax has 7%, Tampa has 14%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 11:56 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
Hmm, sorting of cases. Feel free to debate any of the labels.

Unipolar: Massachusetts, New York, Illinois, Michigan, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Minnesota
Bipolar: California, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma
Multipolar: Florida, Ohio, Iowa, Texas, North Carolina, Alabama, Connecticut, Tennessee, South Carolina

Indiana is a difficult case (Indianapolis vs Northwest Indiana vs Fort Wayne is weak multipolar).
Colorado and Louisiana may also be weak bipolar?

Is there a future for this research program? I'll get out of international relations if there is some money to be made.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:01 AM

646 posts, read 814,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Stuy, I think we are talking past each other in this dialog. I'll give it one more shot:
1) NYC >is< a dominant city within the Western hemisphere.
2) But the OP was asking about dominance >within a state<.
3) There are other cities in NYS that are dominant enough in their regions that they overshadow NYC within those regions. In other words, NYC could be situated on the west bank of the Hudson--in NJ--and it wouldn't change anything for the upstate cities--they'd survive just fine without being in the same state as NYC.

Make sense?
No, but I get what you're saying. It's my opinion that the entire state of NY is totally out of balance, completely lopsided. That view is what I made my comments on. Look at what the OP said in post #6. Perhaps you should carry on the debate with him. Plus what Jesse said in post 51.

Perhaps there needs to be a more discreet definition of what exactly the OP means by imbalance. Then my statement "going away from each other" doesn't illustrate how you feel Upstate doesn't need "downstate"? No I don't get your reasoning there, but that's okay.

I am of the mind that upstate's decline as you pointed out also it has, that NYC never did anything to help that within the same state and insuch is parasitic-like on the state. Funny, funny state New York. I followed what Rwarky first asserted.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 11-17-2007 at 09:20 AM..

Old 11-17-2007, 09:03 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
New York is unbelievably controlled by NYC.
\
Really? What about Buffalo...doesn't seem like it to me

Old 11-17-2007, 09:41 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,718 times
But...there is also political infighting within a metro region.
Chicago metro certainly has more clout than downstate IL. but the city of Chicago has to fight with the politicians of DeKalb County.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:47 PM

231 posts, read 1,142,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
See, being from Chicago I always hear about how we 'zap' the resources of the state, and I just don't buy it. Think about the property taxes, industry, etc that we produce for the rest of the state. Are we, as large cities, supposed to just be cash cows, producing and producing, funneling millions of dollars into the state economy, yet demanding nothing in return?
Illinois without Chicago would be Iowa East

Old 11-17-2007, 03:20 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Bipolar: California
Prepare for the wrath of Sacramento and San Diego.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:26 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Prepare for the wrath of Sacramento and San Diego.
I need a tylenol. We've already got two drama queens, no energy for 1 more, let alone 2 more.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 11-17-2007 at 03:34 PM..

Old 11-17-2007, 03:59 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Balanced:

MISSOURI (Kansas City and St. Louis on the western and eastern border, and Jefferson City the state capital smack in between!!!!!)
Maryland (DC and Baltimore)
Florida (Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville)
Texas (Houston, Dallas, San ANtonio, El Paso, Austin)

Unbalanced:

Louisiana
New York
Nevada (almost 100% live in Las Vegas and Reno and the rest of the state is empty desert)
Utah (a lot like Nevada)

Georgia

Old 11-17-2007, 06:53 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Here, I found a great map from ssc

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.