Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 07:36 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralCorrington View Post
I think I should reiterate that I don't expect all of those ideas in one place.

And I've lived in all of those cities for more than a year. I don't really think of that as 'expect something perfect in no time flat'. The only place I stayed a very short time was Las Vegas and that was because the society there appalled me.

But many of those moves occurred prior to me being an adult as my family moved around.
Ahh you claim to be a foodie who wants to live cheap and Las Vegas appalls you?

So you are appalled by your only rational choice?

And you live in Cleveland?

Only on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Louisville Louisville Louisville. The best food city you have never heard of, and....you can actually afford it!

Louisville named one of world?s best food getaway cities - Louisville - Business First

Live In Lou

Louisville - One of 10 Tastiest Towns in America [Food] | Louisville.com

Midwest Foodie Destinations: Louisville

The 18 Essential Louisville Restaurants, January 2013 - Eater 18 - Eater Louisville

LouisvilleHotBytes.com

Seriously, the food there is LEGIT.

Just curious when you actually lived there, and for how long? The renaissance in that city is nothing short of AMAZING. If I loved food and did not want a mega city, it would be Louisiville, New Orleans, Or Charleston. Louisville is the most temperate and also closest to home for you, and also is much cheaper than say, Charleston.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:06 PM

13 posts, read 15,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oh yes, depending up what part of Evanston you live, you can just cross the street into Chicago. The borderline is Howard St. But there is an Evanston bus line that will take you there to either a Chicago city bus or the Chicago subway station. It's been quite a few years since I took it but when I rode both the subway system and the El in Chicago, they both had connections to Evanston. I guess you would have to check into the transit system to see if they still do.

The farther east you go into Evanston, the closer to the lake and it's very pretty. They have nice beaches.
Well I'm definitely checking that out!

Old 10-31-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Ii definitely think you're looking for New Orleans.

-Southern City...geographically speaking
-Liberal
-Decent library system
-Several Asian grocery stores
-Ethnically diverse GOOD food (the Vietnamese restaurants are amazing...just as good as the Cajun and Creole cooking)
-Very bike friendly...our take the ever-growing street car system
-Whole Foods
-Audubon Zoo, an aquarium, and an insectarium
-Very affordable rentals. $1,000 for a 1 bedroom is easy
-Both swamps and rural areas about an hour outside of the city
-Hardly ever snows EVER
-Culture, food, music, history, art??? I mean c'mon
Haha, that was exactly what I have been thinking!

Old 10-31-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Ahh you claim to be a foodie who wants to live cheap and Las Vegas appalls you?

So you are appalled by your only rational choice?

And you live in Cleveland?

Only on the internet.
Only on the Internet are all the senior members of City-Data rude.

And I lived in LV as an adult and the food is not that great. Most of it is touristy and overblown in price, and I don't just mean on the strip. Same goes for Henderson and LV away from the strip. The best food I had there was in Chinatown and I'd surely get sick of the same three places after a while.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville Louisville Louisville. The best food city you have never heard of, and....you can actually afford it!

Louisville named one of world?s best food getaway cities - Louisville - Business First

Live In Lou

Louisville - One of 10 Tastiest Towns in America [Food] | Louisville.com

Midwest Foodie Destinations: Louisville

The 18 Essential Louisville Restaurants, January 2013 - Eater 18 - Eater Louisville

LouisvilleHotBytes.com

Seriously, the food there is LEGIT.

Just curious when you actually lived there, and for how long? The renaissance in that city is nothing short of AMAZING. If I loved food and did not want a mega city, it would be Louisiville, New Orleans, Or Charleston. Louisville is the most temperate and also closest to home for you, and also is much cheaper than say, Charleston.

Well I lived there about four years ago for 8 months while I went to the University of Louisville. I really liked it until my non-white partner got his ass kicked for dating a white woman. I know that's probably not representative of the whole area but it's soured me for good.

Though NO and Charleston are definitely on my list to check out!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Only on the Internet are all the senior members of City-Data rude.

And I lived in LV as an adult and the food is not that great. Most of it is touristy and overblown in price, and I don't just mean on the strip. Same goes for Henderson and LV away from the strip. The best food I had there was in Chinatown and I'd surely get sick of the same three places after a while.
Second best food city in the US. But it does say a lot about what you like...

Maybe given your views you ought to consider Gary IN or Flint MI.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Colorado except for the snow thing. You could travel to Spain in the winter. Olé

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-01-2013, 11:52 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,254 times
Atlanta would be perfect for you

So here is my 'Dream List':

-Southern City or East Coast City...Southern
-Liberal-ish (NOT a hard-line Republican area)...mixture of both
-Large library system...plenty
-At least 1 Asian grocery story (We have 5 H-Marts)
-Ethnically diverse GOOD food (Pho, Sushi, Indian, Mediterranean, Pizza, American etc) (Plenty)
-Relatively low unemployment rate (9% or less)....Yes
-Either a bikeable city or one with good public transportation....We have Marta rail system
-Whole Foods or other natural grocery store (We have several)
-Has a zoo or aquarium (We have a zoo and the largest aquarium in the world)
-Has nearby (30 min or less) rural areas for horse boarding....Plenty
-150+ population
-Not a TON of snow...We average about 1-2 inches of snow each year but I haven't seen any real snow here in years
-Some sort of culture, be it food, fairs, history or art (sports are not a draw). PLENTY

Old 11-09-2013, 12:11 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Well I lived there about four years ago for 8 months while I went to the University of Louisville. I really liked it until my non-white partner got his ass kicked for dating a white woman. I know that's probably not representative of the whole area but it's soured me for good.

Though NO and Charleston are definitely on my list to check out!
Hmmm. Louisville is more racially tolerant than any other city I lived. If your story was true, it was a complete anomaly. Good luck in your search. Remember, the "grass isn't always greener." My three favorite southern cities are Louisville, New Orleans, and Charleston. I think Louisville has the most upside and is defintely the cheapest, friendliest, and most livable. I love NO but am not a fan of the high crime areas and extreme segregation there and in Charleston. I like the southern swag of Louisville with its Midwest sensibility. I think NO and Charleston have slightly better architecture, and I think it would be nearly a 3 way tie for food. They are all seriously INSANELY good restaurant cities.

Last edited by Peter1948; 11-09-2013 at 12:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.