Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:19 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh. I'm not sure if $1,000 is doable in Philly anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 10:24 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Ii definitely think you're looking for New Orleans.

-Southern City...geographically speaking
-Liberal
-Decent library system
-Several Asian grocery stores
-Ethnically diverse GOOD food (the Vietnamese restaurants are amazing...just as good as the Cajun and Creole cooking)
-Very bike friendly...our take the ever-growing street car system
-Whole Foods
-Audubon Zoo, an aquarium, and an insectarium
-Very affordable rentals. $1,000 for a 1 bedroom is easy
-Both swamps and rural areas about an hour outside of the city
-Hardly ever snows EVER
-Culture, food, music, history, art??? I mean c'mon

Old 10-29-2013, 12:30 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralCorrington View Post
That actually sounds pretty awesome! I'm going to do some research on it, thanks for the tip!

PS: So the public transit in Evanston connects well with Chicago?
Yeah, Evanston is like an extension of Chicago really. I wonder where the closest horse boarding would be though. And I don't think you can find any 1 bedrooms for $1000 in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oh yes, depending up what part of Evanston you live, you can just cross the street into Chicago. The borderline is Howard St. But there is an Evanston bus line that will take you there to either a Chicago city bus or the Chicago subway station. It's been quite a few years since I took it but when I rode both the subway system and the El in Chicago, they both had connections to Evanston. I guess you would have to check into the transit system to see if they still do.

The farther east you go into Evanston, the closer to the lake and it's very pretty. They have nice beaches.
Just for clarity's sake, the L and the subway are one and the same (albeit a bit of an oxymoron since "L" or "El" are short for elevated). I think you might be thinking of the METRA, which is the commuter rail option that runs from Evanston into Chicago, terminating at Ogilvie Station. Yes, both Metra and the L run through Evanston.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Yeah, Evanston is like an extension of Chicago really. I wonder where the closest horse boarding would be though. And I don't think you can find any 1 bedrooms for $1000 in this area.

Just for clarity's sake, the L and the subway are one and the same (albeit a bit of an oxymoron since "L" or "El" are short for elevated). I think you might be thinking of the METRA, which is the commuter rail option that runs from Evanston into Chicago, terminating at Ogilvie Station. Yes, both Metra and the L run through Evanston.
Thank you for the update. They were not the same when I was living there a long time ago. That's why I suggested the OP check them out. At one time you could take the subway by taking the Evanston train and transferring to the subway at the end of the line at the Howard station and continuing on to stops in Chicago. Another option would be to transfer to the subway and and then transfer again at Belmont or Fullerton to the El. But maybe that is no longer possible.

It surprises me that Chicago no longer has the Elevated system that runs above ground only. I guess it really has been a long time since I lived/visited there.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:18 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Thank you for the update. They were not the same when I was living there a long time ago. That's why I suggested the OP check them out. At one time you could take the subway by taking the Evanston train and transferring to the subway at the end of the line at the Howard station and continuing on to stops in Chicago. Another option would be to transfer to the subway and and then transfer again at Belmont or Fullerton to the El. But maybe that is no longer possible.

It surprises me that Chicago no longer has the Elevated system that runs above ground only. I guess it really has been a long time since I lived/visited there.
The Elevated system still exists in Chicago above ground.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:43 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,249 times
Quote:
Hi there!

I'm a young woman, 25, and I'm currently living in Cleveland and I hate it. I've been planning for a while for a move, but I'm having a really hard time coming up with a place because I'm so jaded (I've moved 8 or 9 times now). So I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone had any ideas!

I have a small list of things that, if a city had them, would make it perfect but I understand that the perfect package probably doesn't exist. But I'd like to get as close to perfect as possible because the place I move I plan on being there for 3 years (while I save for a 1 year global backpacking trip).

Above everything else it needs to be relatively inexpensive. The benchmark being that I can get a 1 bedroom nearish the city center/center of culture with all utilities for $1000 or less.

I've bolded the parts of my list that are most important to me for consideration.

So here is my 'Dream List':

-Southern City or East Coast City
-Liberal-ish (NOT a hard-line Republican area)
-Large library system
-At least 1 Asian grocery story
-Ethnically diverse GOOD food (Pho, Sushi, Indian, Mediterranean, Pizza, American etc)
-Relatively low unemployment rate (9% or less)
-Either a bikeable city or one with good public transportation
-Whole Foods or other natural grocery store
-Has a zoo or aquarium
-Has nearby (30 min or less) rural areas for horse boarding
-150+ population
-Not a TON of snow
-Some sort of culture, be it food, fairs, history or art (sports are not a draw).

I've already lived in: Salem, Seattle, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Cleveland, Rochester and Louisville. So I'm not interested in any of those cities. I'm also not interested in anything in California, Florida, Nevada, Ohio or Washington.

Anywho, I hope someone here can help point me in the right direction because currently the only place on my list is New Orleans.

Thanks!

-AdmiralC
How about this beauty.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...C_May_2013.jpg

Old 10-29-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The Elevated system still exists in Chicago above ground.
As I thought. The subway and the El were never the same as the other poster suggested although the subway does run above ground at some points.

Anyway, this is getting OT. I just wanted to give the OP one suggestion of a place she might like to look into. I

Old 10-29-2013, 04:03 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
I think I should reiterate that I don't expect all of those ideas in one place.

And I've lived in all of those cities for more than a year. I don't really think of that as 'expect something perfect in no time flat'. The only place I stayed a very short time was Las Vegas and that was because the society there appalled me.

But many of those moves occurred prior to me being an adult as my family moved around.
Experiencing somewhere as a child and as an adult are two very different things.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:

No of course they still have it. And it's exactly as you described...you change from the purple line to the red line at Howard, or during rush hour you can switch at Belmont/Fullerton. But they are all part of the same system. It's all called the El or L or CTA. And it's not like any of the lines run as a subway, just a couple of them go underground for short portions of track. I honestly found it confusing that you would separate the El from what you call the subway. Why would you be sitting on a red line train above ground for 30 minutes, then go underground for several stops, and then come back up and think that you had been on two different systems? Lots of transit systems do this and you wouldn't refer to them as different systems: The T in Boston, Subway in NYC, Metro in DC come to mind.

Quote:
As I thought. The subway and the El were never the same as the other poster suggested although the subway does run above ground at some points.
Again, still confusing to me. The subway and the El are the same system and honestly, because only small portions are actually "subway" it's strange to even hear that at all. According to Wikipedia using that terminology only refers to a tiny portion of the L system, whereas in NYC when you say Subway you are referring to the entire system (which includes the elevated portions) Anyway, sorry I am not trying to ruffle feathers just genuinely thought I was clearing up some confusion on your end and I really thought you were talking about the Metra since that is actually a different system and does connect conveniently in Evanston as well.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
No of course they still have it. And it's exactly as you described...you change from the purple line to the red line at Howard, or during rush hour you can switch at Belmont/Fullerton. But they are all part of the same system. It's all called the El or L or CTA. And it's not like any of the lines run as a subway, just a couple of them go underground for short portions of track. I honestly found it confusing that you would separate the El from what you call the subway. Why would you be sitting on a red line train above ground for 30 minutes, then go underground for several stops, and then come back up and think that you had been on two different systems? Lots of transit systems do this and you wouldn't refer to them as different systems: The T in Boston, Subway in NYC, Metro in DC come to mind.

Again, still confusing to me. The subway and the El are the same system and honestly, because only small portions are actually "subway" it's strange to even hear that at all. According to Wikipedia using that terminology only refers to a tiny portion of the L system, whereas in NYC when you say Subway you are referring to the entire system (which includes the elevated portions) Anyway, sorry I am not trying to ruffle feathers just genuinely thought I was clearing up some confusion on your end and I really thought you were talking about the Metra since that is actually a different system and does connect conveniently in Evanston as well.
With apologies to the OP for a little more hijacking I understand the misunderstanding. Yes they are the same system. The problem I see is the word "system." I was thinking in terms of only one line and only one train running only one one route as a system. But the Elevated runs on different tracks in different areas where it diverges from the subway route. Or it did when I used to ride it. It also loops downtown whereas the subway travels downtown.

So I was thinking of routes as a system which kind of dates my thinking. There wasn't anything called Metra the last time I took the El or Subway in Chicago. That's why I suggested the OP check out the transit system for herself.

In any case, the OP can get to wherever she would like to go by using the CTA. No semantics involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.