Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 02:45 PM

50 posts, read 73,786 times

Advertisements

thank you very much guys for your useful answers. I will consider all your advices. So at this moment i have several variants: Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, etc... Right now for me this places are just names and spots on the map, i hope you understand... So i'm going to collect more information about this places before make decision where to move.

By the way, should i obtain Illinois ID, if i move to Chicago, for example? I'm asking that because at this moment i have Florida ID. So if i understand correctly, person must have ID respectively the state, where he is living, right? If so, what i should to do with my Florida ID? I mean, is it legal to have 2 ID of different states, or it is necessary to remove one of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 03:56 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Your ID (and its optional to have a state id) is your driver licence. You can only have one @ a time. One you are a resident of that state you need to give the old one up.

Also keep in mind, a lot of computer jobs are not Downtown part of cities. They are in business park in the suburbs around the cities.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:19 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_LF View Post
thank you very much guys for your useful answers. I will consider all your advices. So at this moment i have several variants: Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, etc... Right now for me this places are just names and spots on the map, i hope you understand... So i'm going to collect more information about this places before make decision where to move.

By the way, should i obtain Illinois ID, if i move to Chicago, for example? I'm asking that because at this moment i have Florida ID. So if i understand correctly, person must have ID respectively the state, where he is living, right? If so, what i should to do with my Florida ID? I mean, is it legal to have 2 ID of different states, or it is necessary to remove one of them?
Unless you are a FL resident your FL drivers license is void. AS you did not answer my question I have to guess - student/H1B/L1/... that DL was tied to your H1B/L1/... Google DMV for the respective state you plan to move to to to get information about drivers license and/or ID information.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:55 PM

Sorry, i missed your question. No, i am not a student, i am permanent resident of USA. And i have Florida ID, but this ID is definitely not the driver license. I just wanted to have some ID-document in addtition to greencard. So i asked people many times, which document will correctly confirm my identity. And they told me, that in USA all people have driver license, and also that document is ID-card. But at that moment i wasn't ready to learn and pass driver exams, so i just went to driver-vehicle office (i don't remember exactly name of that institution), bring them all my documents, they took picture of me, i paid 25$ and after couple minutes i recieved Florida-ID. End of story

Old 11-02-2013, 04:05 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Most (if not all) states will issue a Non-Driver ID card. Its normally done thru state Driver Licence Office. Go to the state you plan to live in and check the website for their Driver Licence dept, and see what the requirements are to get a ID.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Uh, you don't know anything about our country.....but you are a permanent US citizen.....with a FL ID....

Not buying it.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_LF View Post
Sorry, i missed your question. No, i am not a student, i am permanent resident of USA. And i have Florida ID, but this ID is definitely not the driver license. I just wanted to have some ID-document in addtition to greencard. So i asked people many times, which document will correctly confirm my identity. And they told me, that in USA all people have driver license, and also that document is ID-card. But at that moment i wasn't ready to learn and pass driver exams, so i just went to driver-vehicle office (i don't remember exactly name of that institution), bring them all my documents, they took picture of me, i paid 25$ and after couple minutes i recieved Florida-ID. End of story
This ID was based upon your legal status at that time. Again - no answer to questions - have you activated your Green Card? If so your Florida ID is void as it is base does not exist anymore. You can apply for ID in the state you reside in. DMV issues it so check the site to double check and find out what documentation you have to provide.

uscis.gov seems down right now. Search Google with "uscis green card" then select tab "once issued". You will find some very helpful information.

Pick a state, pick a city, get an extended-stay hotel for a couple of weeks. Once you have a job start looking for a suitable rental apartment. See if the job works out then start looking for a condo/house.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
This ID was based upon your legal status at that time. Again - no answer to questions - have you activated your Green Card?
I don't understand, what means "activate greencard"? When I finally passed interview in USCIS, after some time i recieved GC. This is it. Nothing else. My attorney didn't told me anything about activation of GC. That's why i didn't answer your question completely, i just don't get it.

Anyway, i actually don't think that it is good idea to discuss my case on public forum. But thank you for your help, i appreciate that.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:57 PM

830 posts, read 1,019,456 times
Heavens. Honestly, the thread has gone off into what looks like armchair attorneys trying to tell someone who has already been issued a Green Card (LPR status) about what he can or cannot do. One shouldn't be conveying immigration advice on a forum if they have no idea what they are talking about. LPRs have virtually all the same rights as US citizens with the exception of voting and some very specific travel restrictions. LPRs may initiate virtually any processes that a US citizen might initiate including attaining a driver's license pursuant to the laws of the state they choose to reside in. That's all there is to it, really.

If you move to IL, get an IL license. If it's FL, NY, or PA then follow their rules, go to the DMV and get a FL, NY, or PA license. If it's an ID you want, then pay for the ID. Just make sure you keep a hold of your Green Card document in the passport. No need to make this complicated for someone who already has a valid green card and will be moving to the US and has already gone through a grueling process as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.