Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 05:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Seems a good candidate for this thread.
How so? The OP seems to be looking for cities that are worldly and rich in culture without being very refined or high class. That fits New Orleans better than Savannah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 05:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
How so? The OP seems to be looking for cities that are worldly and rich in culture without being very refined or high class. That fits New Orleans better than Savannah.
Not sure. I've never been to Savannah. As far as I know, it sounds like a slightly less refined version of Charleston with more crime outside of it's core. I assumed the population there was fairly cosmopolitan, open, and artsy (especially with SCAD), yet lacking in 5-star hotels, abundance of fine dining, and high end shopping.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:25 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Not sure. I've never been to Savannah. As far as I know, it sounds like a slightly less refined version of Charleston with more crime outside of it's core. I assumed the population there was fairly cosmopolitan, open, and artsy (especially with SCAD), yet lacking in 5-star hotels, abundance of fine dining, and high end shopping.
Many would say it's not as upscale as Charleston, but I still find it to be more so than it is even worldly. The SCAD footprint is pretty high-brow and sometimes downright pretentious.

As far as shopping, while it may lack in big name designers, it has respected fashion community with a number of boutiques to be found in the city. I believe there's a Marc Jacob store there.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Many would say it's not as upscale as Charleston, but I still find it to be more so than it is even worldly. The SCAD footprint is pretty high-brow and sometimes downright pretentious.

As far as shopping, while it may lack in big name designers, it has respected fashion community with a number of boutiques to be found in the city. I believe there's a Marc Jacob store there.
A city like that is bound to have decent boutiques. When I hear Marc Jacobs I instanly think of the popular 2000s attire, Ecko. I really need to visit those two places.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:01 PM

132 posts, read 545,706 times
I could see Virginia going either way. Perhaps that between the navy influence in the Hampton Roads, its proximity to DC, its rich history, and its educational institutions would yield a modest, yet global perspective and a rich diversity without the pretense of DC itself.

But, on the other hand, I'm not sure if Northeastern Virginia isolates itself culturally from the rest of the state.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:15 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
I think Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are probably cosmopolitan as they have diverse populations, but neither of them are particularly "high class". They are famous for cheesesteaks and subs, and both cities have a very blue collar reputation. I think most of New Jersey fits the bill too. Jersey certainly is a diverse state in terms of different ethnic groups, lots of immigrants, different kinds of food available but there is absolutely classy in the least about New Jersey at all.

I think New Orleans, Houston, and Dallas are all more sophisticated than the above places. New Orleans has an old money elite and old European style culture. After all it was a French city at one point and the influence is still there. I think Las Vegas can also offer a sophisticated experience especially in the high end hotels and resorts within the tourist experience.

I don't consider Baltimore to be a cosmopolitan place. It is a major city but with a real blue collar feel in many of the suburbs and a ghetto feel in the inner city. Immigration hasn't been TOO big there since the Italians, Poles, and Greeks 2-3 generations back. There is a small Mexican immigrant population that's about it for recent years. But yet you still get all kinds of foods available. People's musical tastes are an interesting mix of rap, country, and the usual pop.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:52 PM

213 posts, read 388,453 times
Houston is more sophisticated than it is laid back. The social scene is robust and luxury shopping is plenty. Houston and Dallas both dress up more than there Texas counterparts. Papercity

Old 11-04-2013, 01:06 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:

I think Savannah is actually a pretty good candidate here, as it is somewhat known as a smaller version of NOLA. The city as a whole is more characterized as being laid-back and likely to get into just a tad bit of debauchery (e.g., open container laws, St. Pat's Day Festival, etc.). SCAD gives the city more of an artsy feel, but not overly high-brow and pretentious in that Southern colonial aristocrat sort of way, like you might find in Charleston to a certain extent.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:13 PM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
But, on the other hand, I'm not sure if Northeastern Virginia isolates itself culturally from the rest of the state.
The typical northern Virginian is almost oblivious to the fact that the rest of Virginia even exists - except for some "cool" places like Virginia Beach and King's Dominion. lol.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Orlando?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.