Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:25 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

Baltimore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:57 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Best thing you can hear.
Too bad nobody heard it this past Sunday.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:22 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Orlando?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Philly.
Two great examples.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:32 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Too bad nobody heard it this past Sunday.
I sincerely hope you are not a Falcant fan.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:50 AM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazypie View Post
To me at least, cosmopolitan and sophisticated mean different things.

When I think sophistication, I think of appreciation for the beaux arts and access high-end shopping and dining.

While, to me, cosmopolitan means globally aware, diverse, and integrated. Cosmopolitan embraces high culture, low culture, pop culture, and immigrant cultures equally. Being cosmopolitan sees value in monster trucks as well as ballet. Being cosmopolitan means having an open mind, and not being afraid to be seen on the wrong side of the tracks. Cosmopolitanism is about inquiry, modesty, respect, and community.

Given this definition, are their any cities that you find to be cosmopolitan, but not necessary the most sophisticated?

I assume that Sacramento, Austin, or Raleigh might fit the bill, but have never been to any of those places.
I would say the north/northwest side of Chicago/Chicagoland is more cosmopolitan than sophisticated given the definition (more similar to the earlier description of Philly or New Jersey (many immigrants/diverse/all foods available, yet also really into sports just and street comfort food (hot dogs/pizza/italian beef).

South Side/South Chicagoland (south of I-55) is not even cosmopolitan (more like Tom Lennoxes description of Baltimore (Inner city ghetto, blue collared suburbs, not as much immigration, except for some Mexicans in some areas, where native white people are 2nd 3rd generation white Polish/Irish/other East Euros).

Chicago is most unquestionably sophisticated along the lakefront from the loop through the north shore suburbs for a couple miles away from the lake, as well as certain suburbs like Oak Park, Naperville).

Other areas of the midwest that are cosmopolitan even sophisticated (again using definitions) would include Oakland County and Ann Arbor in the Detroit area, Minneapolis, as well as the immediate downtown areas and certain thriving neighborhoods of really any midwest metro areas of at least 2 million population.

Much of southern California is certainly cosmopolitan, again by this definition, even in distant Inland Empire cities like Riverside believe it or not, but not necessarily sophisticated. Some places like Santa Barbara are the opposite, sophisticated but not that cosmopolitan. Many places in greater LA, also have a cosmopolitan vibe, but are at the same time modest (Long Beach, Pasadena, Silverlake, etc.). Its only West-Central LA (from Santa Monica through Hollywood that is obsessed with fashion, fine dining, etc.)

Last edited by Tex?Il?; 11-05-2013 at 10:07 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 02:59 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,085,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
LOL!!!! What a sophisticated way to talk.
He lives in Chattanooga. Thats how 62 year old men speak there. Nothing sophisticated NOR cosmopolitan about that place.

Last edited by Chilly Gentilly; 11-05-2013 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 06:04 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
Houston, too might have that global awareness, but still being relatively laid back.
How is Houston not sophisticated when it has the World's largest medical center & is home to NASA?

The first word spoken from the Moon was not New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago, but America's 4th largest city, HOUSTON!

Rice University is one of the most prestigious in the nation. It offers Ivy League level education at a fraction of the tuition cost & is consistently rated one of the best private colleges in the nation.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/c...best-buy-list/

I'd say Houston blends cosmopolitan with sophistication perfectly.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 11-05-2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 10:33 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
How is Houston not sophisticated when it has the World's largest medical center & is home to NASA?

The first word spoken from the Moon was not New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago, but America's 4th largest city, HOUSTON!

Rice University is one of the most prestigious in the nation. It offers Ivy League level education at a fraction of the tuition cost & is consistently rated one of the best private colleges in the nation.

Rice University tuition deemed inexpensive: H-Town's Ivy League school - CultureMap Houston

I don't think any of that necessarily correlates to sophistication. Houston is still mostly a blue collar city it seems.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:48 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I sincerely hope you are not a Falcant fan.
No, but the setup was perfect, so I had to take it.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:13 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Rice University tuition deemed inexpensive: H-Town's Ivy League school - CultureMap Houston

Those are great attributes, but none of them necessarily scream "sophistication" to me--which, by the way, really isn't a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.