Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,319 times

Advertisements

What liveable cities or states are out there where a well-off liberal 35-something family would feel at home and also raise kids?

Prerequisites are
- warm weather most of the year
- liveable downtown/community
- inspiring nature closeby
- low consumerism, organic markets
- fairly low cost of living
- access/exposure/opportunity for kids
- good schools/pride of education
- social equality (+ diverse culture)
- good economy/growth in future
- relaxed low pace of life/low crime

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 06:30 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
With the exception of weather and cost of living....Burlington, VT.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:01 PM

93,411 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Same with Ithaca NY too. I guess places like Charlottesville VA, Asheville NC and Chapel Hill NC may also work.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:55 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,055,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Burlington is overwhelmingly white though, not very much of a diverse culture there.

You could try Austin, although it's gotten more expensive in the past few years, but there's lots of jobs there.
Albuquerque and Tucson might also work for you.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:27 AM

132 posts, read 545,952 times
I was thinking Boulder, Chapel Hill, or Santa Rosa, CA.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:05 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,254,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistle View Post
What liveable cities or states are out there where a well-off liberal 35-something family would feel at home and also raise kids?

Prerequisites are

Thank you.
Generally speaking, liberal and low cost of living are mutually exclusive. There are exceptions, of course. The one thing that comes to mind is the Research Triangle of North Carolina - Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area. It's not necessarily "liberal", not compared to say, San Francisco or Seattle, but it is fairly liberal by Southern standards. It's just a couple of hours from the beach and the mountains, and the schools (especially the colleges) are great.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:38 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistle View Post

Prerequisites are

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Same with Ithaca NY too. I guess places like Charlottesville VA, Asheville NC and Chapel Hill NC may also work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
I was thinking Boulder, Chapel Hill, or Santa Rosa, CA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Generally speaking, liberal and low cost of living are mutually exclusive. There are exceptions, of course. The one thing that comes to mind is the Research Triangle of North Carolina - Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area. It's not necessarily "liberal", not compared to say, San Francisco or Seattle, but it is fairly liberal by Southern standards. It's just a couple of hours from the beach and the mountains, and the schools (especially the colleges) are great.
I too would point you toward Chapel Hill, in particular the neighboring town of Carrboro. It has a nice little downtown area with shops/restaurants and greenspace. The town has a terrific sense of "community" which favors social equality, diversity and overall inclusiveness. The area has a good economy thanks to the presence of two major universities nearby (UNC and Duke as well as their respective medical centers) plus Durham's Research Triangle Park which is 20 minutes away. The town is quite safe and without the hurried pace you're looking to avoid. Carrboro is home to the best food coop I've ever seen (Weaver Street Market) and one of the best farmers markets in the country (Carrboro Farmers Market). The local public schools are routinely top-ranked in the state of North Carolina (Chapel Hill-Carrboro Public Schools). I lived there for 7 years and loved it, and often think about how I can get back there!

Carrboro, North Carolina Overview
Weaver Street Market - Home
What's at Carrboro Farmers' Market
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools - About

*** I would disagree regarding the assertion that it's not necessarily liberal. Carrboro and Chapel Hill are quite liberal and would say they're on par with Portland or Seattle and not too far behind the San Francisco Bay area. Carrboro elected, then re-elected twice an openly Gay mayor in the 1990s which was well ahead of similar instances in supposedly far more liberal environments.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:58 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I too would point you toward Chapel Hill, in particular the neighboring town of Carrboro. It has a nice little downtown area with shops/restaurants and greenspace. The town has a terrific sense of "community" which favors social equality, diversity and overall inclusiveness. The area has a good economy thanks to the presence of two major universities nearby (UNC and Duke as well as their respective medical centers) plus Durham's Research Triangle Park which is 20 minutes away. The town is quite safe and without the hurried pace you're looking to avoid. Carrboro is home to the best food coop I've ever seen (Weaver Street Market) and one of the best farmers markets in the country (Carrboro Farmers Market). The local public schools are routinely top-ranked in the state of North Carolina (Chapel Hill-Carrboro Public Schools). I lived there for 7 years and loved it, and often think about how I can get back there!

Carrboro, North Carolina Overview
Weaver Street Market - Home
What's at Carrboro Farmers' Market
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools - About

*** I would disagree regarding the assertion that it's not necessarily liberal. Carrboro and Chapel Hill are quite liberal and would say they're on par with Portland or Seattle and not too far behind the San Francisco Bay area. Carrboro elected, then re-elected twice an openly Gay mayor in the 1990s which was well ahead of similar instances in supposedly far more liberal environments.
I agree, having lived in Chapel Hill and you can get a very nice place fulfilling all ur requirements. College towns htroughout the south are the places I consider to be the best places to live in America, they have the best of everything and decent weather. Here are some other nice liberal college towns you should look into, I've been to all these and they are all very nice places if you can get over the frustration of living in a red state:

Athens, GA
Asheville, NC
Charlottesville, VA
Gainesville, FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.