Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:10 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times

Advertisements

Interesting survey...but I think the only thing it really measures is the concentration of Evangelical Protestants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 06:18 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
I thought it was interesting that you have to go all the way to #26 to find a city that's not in the south. That city is Bakersfield, CA, which is populated by the children and grandchildren of displaced Dust-Bowl Okies.

I wonder why Rochester (in the middle of the pack at #62 out of 96) is so much more biblical than Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse, and NYC, which are all at the end of the list. Likewise, I wonder why Albuquerque (#54) was so much more biblical than Tucson, Phoenix, and Denver.

I was surprised also to find Salt Lake City at the end the list, less biblically minded than Minneapolis, Madison, LA, Denver, and Chicago. I guess this goes against the argument of LDS dominance in SLC.

I know that these places are too small to be included, but I'm wondering how "cities" in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming would stack up. Despite being conservative, this part of the country strikes me as not being particularly religious.

Probably because the LDS Church has the Book of Mormon which is a companion to the Bible. The LDS I know seem to place the Book of Mormon a little higher in importance over the Bible. I remember going to LDS services and scripture from the Book of Mormon was read and quoted much more then from the Bible.

Now, if there was a list about which city is the most Book of Mormon minded, SLC would win for sure.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:50 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
I'm surprised Phoenix is that low on the list.

As for Catholics, there are a lot of people in the Northeast who were "raised Catholic" and would check Catholic on a box, but many of them rarely if ever go to church, rarely pray, might not even believe God exists. A lot of them support abortion and gay marriage and mock religion. I've known people who were "Raised Catholic" who said that the Bible is full of 'fairy tales". These people are hardly "Biblical". Many of them just check Catholic cause checking "atheist" still makes them feel bad for some reason.

As for the Mormons, they are not really Christians. The most important text of their religion, the BOok of Mormon, is not in the Bible. Their prophet is a man named Joseph Smith, a very Biblical name indeed!!! Yes they believe in Jesus Christ but also believe in Smith as the last prophet, kind of like Muslims and Muhammad. The Muslims also claim to "believe in Jesus" too. The Mormons are as Christian as the Al-Qaeda rebels Obama is backing in Syria.

I'm surprised its the Portland in Maine that's on the least religious list, not the one in Oregon, which has the most strip clubs per capita and is located in a very nonreligious region. Though New England is also non-religious. I suspect other liberal cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Cleveland, and New Jersey cities are not on the list because they have a lot of black churches and illegal immigrants. Jeremiah Wright might be running a racial activist organization, but he classifies his operation as a Biblical "church". And I think the illegal alien Catholics are the ones who would be "Biblical", though at least until the amnesty, many illegals might be nervosu about answering surveys, or might not speak enough English to do a poll response.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:52 PM

That list also groups Washington DC with Hagerstown, Maryland for some very odd reason. Hagerstown is over 70 miles from DC and is a different world. If Hagerstown was not included, and just the immediate DC area, it would rank among the lowest. The liberal elite do not go to church and the area has a large Jewish population. And with the Democrats having the majority in Congress, the "churched" ranking would especially be low!!!

Old 11-21-2013, 07:55 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
The problem I have with this list is that it places Waco as less biblically minded than Austin, Houston, and several liberal cities.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
The problem I have with this list is that it places Waco as less biblically minded than Austin, Houston, and several liberal cities.
Houston has a lot of black Democrats that consider it "Biblical" when Jeremiah Wright types misquote the Bible. After all the good Reverend Wright does quote the BIble and has his congregation follow along, no?

Old 11-21-2013, 08:01 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Houston has a lot of black Democrats that consider it "Biblical" when Jeremiah Wright types misquote the Bible. After all the good Reverend Wright does quote the BIble and has his congregation follow along, no?
To be fair, you dont have to misquote the bible to push an extreme agenda. Theres a lot of crazy, insane, and quite evil things in the bible.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:34 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times
Quote:
And with the Democrats having the majority in Congress, the "churched" ranking would especially be low!!!
What planet are you living on?

United States Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-21-2013, 08:51 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Why do people care so much about where conservatives live or what their doing?! Every week there's a new thread in here pertaining to conservatives! Give it a rest already! We are everywhere just like liberals!

Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
I'm surprised Phoenix is that low on the list. .
No, it's really not that surprising. Like many other places in the West, Phoenix leans more libertarian and is a live and let live kind of place. Though there are some exceptions as Mesa and the far eastern end of the valley has a large Mormon community, but that doesn't really translate to Biblical/Evangelical as others have posted.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-21-2013 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.