Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 05:19 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
where is las vegas ?
I don't know about "biblically-minded" (I'm still not exactly sure what that even means, and I don't place much stock in polls anyway. Especially this one), but I do remember an article from not so long ago, maybe 5 or 6 years ago, about Las Vegas having more churches per square mile than any other U.S. city, oddly enough. Having lived there for 4 years, I also remember a strong LDS/Mormon presence there that dates back all the way to the city's origins. There is also a pretty strong Catholic presence there as well, especially with the increasing hispanic population. Obviously Las Vegas isn't what anyone in their right mind would call "the bible belt", but I did meet and work with a lot of people who adhered to some form of Christianity during my time living there.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 11-22-2013 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 07:26 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
If someone is religious I don't really see how they can be socially liberal, unless its a non-Christian religion. It is clear that the Bible is against abortion and gay marriage, just as an example.
The Bible also says you can sell your daughter into slavery. Should we make slavery legal again because the "Bible" allows it?

Also regarding same sex marriage several Christian sects such as the Lutherans, Quakers, Episcopalians, etc allow or approve of same sex marriage so your argument holds no water there.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:05 PM

165 posts, read 277,042 times
Least Biblical Cities----Las Vegas, Philadelphia, New York and Miami Most Biblical Cities-----Birmingham and Jackson

Old 11-22-2013, 08:12 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
Least Biblical Cities----Las Vegas, Philadelphia, New York and Miami Most Biblical Cities-----Birmingham and Jackson
Did you go door to door counting all the bibles in these cities? It must have been exhausting.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:35 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I don't know about "biblically-minded" (I'm still not exactly sure what that even means, and I don't place much stock in polls anyway. Especially this one), but I do remember an article from not so long ago, maybe 5 or 6 years ago, about Las Vegas having more churches per square mile than any other U.S. city, oddly enough. Having lived there for 4 years, I also remember a strong LDS/Mormon presence there that dates back all the way to the city's origins. There is also a pretty strong Catholic presence there as well, especially with the increasing hispanic population. Obviously Las Vegas isn't what anyone in their right mind would call "the bible belt", but I did meet and work with a lot of people who adhered to some form of Christianity during my time living there.
thanks good info

Old 11-23-2013, 04:58 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Fair amount of LDS influence in Phoenix metro. Not in your face, but there. The area in Northern Arizona where the guy's in prison now for crimes against children. You don't find that in every state of the union! The libertarian bend of Arizona allows things like that to flourish--live and let live also equals no one gets involved when things need to be looked at.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:45 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
If someone is religious I don't really see how they can be socially liberal, unless its a non-Christian religion. It is clear that the Bible is against abortion and gay marriage, just as an example.
By that logic, you cannot be fiscally conservative and be a Christian. All you have to do is read about Christ to know that he is nothing like modern day conservatives.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Okay, when those black Democrats in Houston go to their Jeremiah Wright-type "church" (something alon the lines of Mount Zion African Methodist Church), their Wright-type preacher probably still does take the Bible out and asks his congregation to open their Bibles and follow along as he reads. Perhaps he then compares corporate America or the United States to slave masters, etc etc. But those congregants in the Houston ghetto did read their Bibles on Sunday right? So when the pollster calls, yes they did read the Bible. But they are NOT conservative people!
So, you're a rabid racist. Thanks for letting us know.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:02 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
I find it interesting how they lump some of these cities.

Greenville/Spartanburg and Asheville are about as opposite as you can get. I've also never seen Raleigh/Durham lumped in with Fayetteville. Most people in the Triangle (and NC for that matter) want nothing to do with Fayetteville.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:44 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I find it interesting how they lump some of these cities.

Greenville/Spartanburg and Asheville are about as opposite as you can get. I've also never seen Raleigh/Durham lumped in with Fayetteville. Most people in the Triangle (and NC for that matter) want nothing to do with Fayetteville.
Seems like they were using DMA stats, which is interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.